cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kibmax
Journeyman III

RX 6800 stability issues in some games/tests

Problems started to arise when I tried some games I hadn't tried before. Like the new Skull and Bones, which crashed after the initial splash screen without any errors, or the demo of Resident Evil 4. Then I started testing/playing, and it turned out that many games that I wasn't interested in crashed as well, like the Assassin's Creed series (Odyssey, some other games that were in the gamepass to test without buying). I got to 3dmark, and it turned out that some tests, such as Time Spy and Speed Way, also crash with an error, but other like Port Royal/Fire Strike pass without any problem.

I fixed all this by reducing the frequency in adrenaline from the default 2204 to 1740, then the above tests run for an hour without errors and the games before that worked fine.
I started googling the problem with the binding to the 3D mark tests with which I had questions. It turned out that in the Steam community thread, the developers of the 3D mark said that amd video cards often have problems with stability at boost frequencies.

I've almost come to terms with my own failure. But... a new idea arose that gave rise to new questions.
So I installed Linux Mint on my flash drive, and I think I'll try to run the demo of 4 resident evil  through Steam,  will it crash if I leave certain options like ambient occlusion and hair effects that were the trigger for instability. But it didn't crash, and moreover, it works better and there were no lags from compiling the shaders that were on the windows, the game went smoothly right away. Unfortunately, the 3D Mark Time Spy and Speed way tests through Steam's proton don't work, so I can't really tie in to this data.
I thought that maybe the frequencies of the GPU are not as high as in Windows, and that's why the game doesn't crash. I found a program. 0-02-05-33011f1b541f574a8074db64803067917218859ed151a8fe926537c6438a85fd_2a24ba66.jpgAnd if  its data correct, the GPU boost frequency is better than in Windows, and the voltage is also slightly less than the default 1025v, 1000/993v. Wonders...

What I tried...
1.I had both 11 pro windows and 10 home with the latest updates.
2.The video card was installed with both quite old drivers, described on the Internet as reliable, after which similar problems arose, and the latest drivers.
3. I raised the powerlimit, and not only through adrenaline.

Attention! Question: Is this a software or a hardware problem?

0 Likes
1 Reply
jayglo
Adept I

I didn’t try with Linux, but my 6700XT only works with a -10% downclock since 2 months. This is the only way I can play or run tests without crashing. I would like to know what happened but I guess I never will 🤷

0 Likes