cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Classik
Adept I

RX 6650XT display out of Range Error (can't access BIOS)

[reposting here, sorry for the duplicate but didn't get a response so far in the other forum] 

Hi,

So I just bought a new Powercolor RX 6650XT to replace my former Nvidia GTX1650, massive difference as expected, except that I just can't access BIOS anymore..

Upon booting, the main screen (Asus VX24A 2560x1440) displays an 'Out of Range' message and only when Windows 11 starts loading, the screens (got 2) wake up and work as expected.

A quick search shows that I'm not the only one like here https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/out-of-range-error-stops-post-and-windows-boot/td-p/11... , and that the fix involves an HDMI to VGA adapter everytime I need to access BIOS  

Seriously there must be an easier (=software) fix, or?

Thanks for any help!

Specs : Gigabyte Z690 gaming X DD5 / 13700KF / Powercolor RX 6650 XT / 32G DDR5 / 2x ASUS VX24A @2560x1440 displays

4 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Have you tried using a display port cable (DP to DP) between your new RX6650XT and your Asus VX24A monitor?  The 'out of range' issues might be associated with HDMI cables (there are several versions of HDMI cables).

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Hi and thanks for the reply! 

These monitors do not have display ports, so my setup here is a hdmi/hdmi cable for the first monitor, and a dp/hdmi 4k adapter for the second identical monitor. This exact same setup has been working very well with all previous setups (Nvidia based).

Again I suppose it's just a matter of telling the card to use a standard resolution (say 1080p) at boot, so I suppose a gpu bios could fix that, or?

Thanks 

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I don't know how you would tell the GPU to start at 1080p and then switch to 4K once it's in Windows.  I don't recommend swapping monitor cables while the computer and monitor are powered, although I have done that myself a few times.  At the minimum, you should ensure you are using quality HDMI cables, rated for the latest standard (maybe that's HDMI 2.1 but I'm not sure).

Have you tried repeatedly hitting the F2 and the 'Del' keys during boot?  Have you tried a PS-2 keyboard (if your motherboard supports that port)?  I used to have problems getting into the BIOS on some computers if I just used a USB keyboard, because by the time your motherboard recognized the USB keyboard, it was too late to open the BIOS.  

Another idea is to clear the CMOS battery (remove it for 10 minutes) and see if the motherboard BIOS resets to allow more time for detecting the keyboard inputs.  Some people configure the 'fast boot' option which greatly reduces your chances of getting into the BIOS via keyboard inputs.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Sorry for late reply, busy week.. 

In response to your suggestions :

I've tried a certified hdmi 4k cable, or connecting only one monitor at a time, no luck. The only thing that allows me to see the bios is to use a vga adaptor (display port /vga in my case). And BTW its nothing related to my keyboard or accessing the bios as such, it's 'just' a display problem..

I'm afraid it all points down to my 6650XT sending some incompatible resolution signals to the monitors at boot. Really no solution for that? 

0 Likes