cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

GBC
Journeyman III

RX 6600XT Turning Off as Soon as Windows Boots

I'm having an issue where the 6600XT fans begin spinning while my PC boots, but will immediately shut off once Windows 11 starts.

I've tried DDU to remove my old Nvidia drivers, I've tried changing the PCI slot the GPU is connected to, nothing seems to work.

The GPU shows up under "unknown" in the Device Manager, but my monitors both display perfectly fine plugged into it. Adrenalin claims it isn't compatible with the graphics driver, but AMD Software Compatibility Tool claims the GPU is working perfectly. I'm not sure what the issue is here (probably something really simple I overlooked) and any help would be massively appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution
GBC
Journeyman III

Solved the problem in a way I would never have guessed.

I updated my computer to Windows 11 during the Windows Insider preview, and I guess during that time there was no requirement to have TPM enabled to boot Windows 11. After checking my OS for a different issue I realized it was out of date and turned on TPM in my bios so I could manually update it.

After doing that and running DDU, I'm having no issues with the graphics card or software anymore. Makes sense that the OS being out of date would cause the drivers to act weird.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Tinyskynet
Adept II

Try GPU-Z and check if it even recognizes your card. If you have an igpu check your bios if your card is used as main Display adapter and check your cable (hope you did not connect it to your motherboard, but some people make that mistake).

You could also check your eventslog if it gives you any clue about the error.

And last but not least, try the amd cleanup utility and try latest driver, but there have been some issues with it, so I won't recommend the current 24.5.1 driver.

Anyway, some links to two versions. I would try the 24.4.1 first after using the cleanup utility

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-24.4.1-win10-win11-apr25-rdna.ex... 

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-24.5.1-win10-win11-may15-rdna.ex... 

FunkZ
Paragon

The fans stop spinning when Windows loads because the Adrenalin driver has a "Zero RPM" feature that turns off the GPU fans when not needed. They will turn back on when temperature goes up.

I would completely remove and reinstall drivers as @Tinyskynet suggested.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
GBC
Journeyman III

Solved the problem in a way I would never have guessed.

I updated my computer to Windows 11 during the Windows Insider preview, and I guess during that time there was no requirement to have TPM enabled to boot Windows 11. After checking my OS for a different issue I realized it was out of date and turned on TPM in my bios so I could manually update it.

After doing that and running DDU, I'm having no issues with the graphics card or software anymore. Makes sense that the OS being out of date would cause the drivers to act weird.