cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Adept II
Adept II

Re: RX 5700 XT Blank green screen crash when playing certain games or applying graphic settings ingame

Jump to solution

When you mean install Driver only do you mean to not also install the radeon settings software and if so do I even need it?

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Re: RX 5700 XT Blank green screen crash when playing certain games or applying graphic settings ingame

Jump to solution

Updating

I had 3 failures 30 minutes ago. I used Adobe Suite (photoshop and illustrator) so the same problem happened again. I will follow the old_noobette guide and soon post updates.

If that doesn't solve, I will sell my 5700 xt unfortunately AMD plays with its consumers.

0 Kudos
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

paulomed, you should really start your own troubleshooting thread where you provide all information about your system

Otherwise your conclusions are illogical, why would you sell card when you should rather RMA this card, you do not know if it is defective or not, in case it is defective you would sell defective card as nondefective or what?

Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

I can do a screen recording of the steps if anyone wants but the steps I did to fix it was the following:

1. Download the 20.4.2 Radeon 2020 Drivers.
2. Download DDU.
3. Extract the 20.4.2 driver .exe file. (As long as you have 7Zip installed you can extract the actual .exe file)
4. Restart the PC into Safe Mode without Networking.

5. Once DDU is opened when in safe mode look to the right of the program select device type click on GPU. And the checkbox underneath make sure it is set to AMD.

6.Once this is done click on Clean and Restart.

7. Once you have restarted everything will look blurry or low res as there is no driver installed.

8. Open up windows search and look for device manager.

9. Once the device manager is open click Display Adapters.

10. Should be a device called Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

11. Right-click on this device and click update driver.

12. Then Click browse my computer for driver software.

13. Then when you do this you will need to locate that driver file you extracted at the beginning. And point it to the Driver folder inside of the extracted file.

14. Mine would be this:  \Desktop\win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.4.2-apr23\Packages\Drivers

15. Then click next and it will install the driver.

What this does is install the driver only and without the Radeon software, this fixed my green screen crashing issue so far on my 5700xt as I played 6 hours of gta5 online with no crashes. So, there seems to be an issue with Radeon software rather than the driver itself.

If anyone is struggling to understand this I will redo it all and have a screen recording to show how it's done.

If any additional crashes occur I will edit the post accordingly.

Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

I agree with Trek. It is why I made it a point in my replys to list the conditions of your crashing and to see if they are the same as my, otherwise you could have a completely different issue.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

So this is similar to Old_Noobettes conclusion of installing the driver only. Will follow this guide to get the latest driver in instead of an older one and will see if this elevates my issue. If it is really the Radeon software causing issues it's a real shame then.

This is my first build I've done and if this is how AMD cards are going to be then they have completely turned me off from using their cards in the future.

Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

I agree it is a bit disappointing and hopefully, AMD sees this. But yeah the first-ever PC I've built with a Ryzen 3900x and 5700xt and issues have occurred with the GPU drivers. But to be honest I've never had issues with AMD drivers before until now with previous computers.

Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Well hopefully this fixed the issue otherwise I'm going to have to RMA this

card and will be out of a computer for a while which will be mind numbing

but I rather be done with this issue.

Their CPUs are great but the impressions I get on their cards are buggy as

hell.

Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

Your conclusion is not fair, Nvidia has also issues with some series of cards, e.g. 2080 Ti which costs much more than 5700xt. I am still testing my card, for now ok, but if it will start crashing, I will also RMA it.

This whole "driver" situation is crated by people not willing to RMA their defective cards, which is illogical. They probably do not have spare graphics card and do not want be without PC.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

The fact that my friend with the same card had to RMA twice with the same card. The fact that My friend's computer that he gave me before I built my own was a 1070 and I never had a driver crash, says something. The fact that installing the driver without having the software installed just to make the card stable, says something. 
Having one experience with nvidia cards and one experience with AMD cards nvidia is 1/1 right now, seems fair to me. Anecdotal experiences other than my own aren't gonna determine my opinion on the card I own. Don't care how much more or less expensive something is compared to something else. All I expect is for something to work if I buy it, if it doesn't it deserves all its criticism. Not saying AMD bad Nvidia good. Whether the "Driver" issue is a product of people not turning in their defective cards or not doesn't matter because either way a problem exists. Doesn't matter what you label the problem, bad driver or defective card, it's still a problem.