h9l
Adept I

Rendering issues in Firefox with Ryzen 7700 iGPU

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: none (only iGPU)

CPU: RYZEN 7 7700

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk

BIOS Version: 7D75v1C

RAM: 32GB (2x 16GB Kingston KF556C36-16)

PSU: Seasonic 650W

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 11 PRO 23H2 (Build 22631.2861), Ubuntu 22.03

GPU Drivers: AMD Adrenaline 23.12.1 (Windows 11)

Chipset Drivers: AMD CHIPSET DRIVERS VERSION 5.08.02.027 (Windows 11)

Background Applications: None

Description of Original Problem:

While browsing with the latest version of Firefox 120.0.1 some letters disappear or get displaced and eventually show again properly. It happens on all areas (tabs, bookmarks toolbar, etc.) of Firefox which contain text.

Troubleshooting:

I installed the latest AMD Adrenaline drivers 23.12.1 via AMD Auto-Detect and Install tool on Windows 11 with all latest updates. Also, I updated the BIOS of my MSI Tomahawk B650 motherboard to the latest version.

I removed the drivers with the AMD Cleanup Utility. Then tried to reproduce it without AMD specific drivers. Only the CPU was used for Firefox rendering and I couldn't reproduce the issue. Then I used the AMD Software Adrenaline Edition 23.12.1 Minimal Setup installer. I tried both Minimal and Drivers only which resulted in the described errors.

Had several stress tests playing multiple FullHD videos on Youtube at the same time, browsing and running a browser benchmark. GPU temperature and load was totally fine during all the time. It didn't happen during the stress test, but a bit later after I closed most of the browser windows and tabs.

It doesn't happen when I disable hardware acceleration on Firefox. So far I only experienced it in Firefox.

Some examples attached here:

Screenshot 2023-12-16 110818.pngScreenshot 2023-12-16 112816.pngScreenshot 2023-12-16 111416.png

Did you experience anything similar?

18 Replies
h9l
Adept I

I used Ubuntu 22.04.03 bootable from USB with latest Firefox and was able to reproduce the same issues.

0 Likes
h9l
Adept I

Further troubleshooting:

• All kind of benchmarks and stress tests just passed fine
  • Only OCCT VRAM check shows a lot of errors (not sure how reliable this test is)

What's a good way to find out if a iGPU is faulty?

0 Likes

APU doesn't have built in vRAM so those errors concerns your System RAM. So not sure how reliable that OCCT test would be concerning vRAM from a IGPU. I believe that test is made to test vRAM of a GPU card.

So I would first run MEMTEST 86 to make sure you have no defective RAM that is going bad. Otherwise it could indicate a defective APU.

but since another User was able to replicate the same issue on Ubuntu USB Flash drive using FF then it might be an issue with Firefox and AMD Driver.

I would open a AMD SUPPORT Ticket and ask them their thought from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

0 Likes

Thanks for your response and ideas. The other User is also me.  

I ran MEMTEST 86 for more than 3 hours without any issues. Also several other benchmarks without any visual glitches or problems. Just afraid that the GPU is really defective and it's just the tip of the iceberg I can see currently.

I opened a support case at AMD and filed a bug report at Mozilla.

If you get an answer from AMD Support can you post it for others to see what they suggest?

Good idea to let Mozilla know also to see if they can replicate your issue. If it is a wide spread issue than most likely it is a FireFox issue. If it just a tiny amount of Users than it probably could be something in the User's PC that is in conflict or computer issue.

NOTE: Rereading your previous reply about disabling FF GPU Hardware Acceleration I also started to have issue with my Nvidia GPU card. While looking at Youtube, as an example, my GPU would lose its video output. It would happen within minutes each time. Each time I needed to do a Hard Reboot to get video again. I kept checking Event Viewer and found a huge amount of errors but eventually I decided to disable Hardware Acceleration in Firefox and I haven't had my GPU crash on me yet.

I still have it disabled so it might be a Firefox update that is causing problems with certain GPUs.

This is the first time I have had any type of issue with Hardware Acceleration since I purchased my GPU card. I was beginning to wonder if my GPU card was damaged.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, the AMD support's suggestions didn't help. They responded very quickly though.

AMD support suggested the following in the first response:

To eliminate the possibility of hardware potential issue with your integrated graphics card I would suggest you to please test your system with discrete graphics card if your system has.

Also please install previous GPU driver version 23.10.2 for your integrated graphics card and check the issue status:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-7-processors/amd-...

If you still experience same issue then please let us know the exact make & model of your all monitor and how you have connected your monitor to your system?

Are you using any display adapter/converter to connect your monitor?

After it didn't help anything they responded:

1. Please perform load default settings of your bios and make sure that you are running your system at stock.
2. Please perform the clean boot of your OS.
3. Please make sure that you have install latest chipset driver version 5.08.02.027 in your system.
4. Please install and run AMD cleanup utility to remove the previous GPU driver from your system and install latest GPU driver version 23.12.1 in your system.

If you still experience same issue, then please try to connect your monitor using display port and check you are experiencing same issue or not?

My bug report at Mozilla for anyone who is interested:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1870457

0 Likes
h9l
Adept I

I played a bit with the global graphics settings in Adrenaline software and found out that changing some of the default settings have an effect on the issue.

These settings are:

• Radeon Anti-Lag (default: off, changed to on)

• Radeon Enhanced-Sync (default: off, changed to on)

• OpenGL Triple Buffering (default: off, changed to on)

• Tessalation Mode (default: AMD optimized, changed to Use application settings)

Can anyone else confirm this?

0 Likes
katrrd
Adept I

I am also facing the same issue now how i can solve it, 
thanks

0 Likes

That's interesting!

Could you add your hardware specs here, please?

0 Likes
h9l
Adept I

That's interesting!

Could you add your hardware specs here, please?

0 Likes
katrrd
Adept I

Thanks for your response, i got the answer from a blog on google and fixed the issue. 
Best wishes 🥰 

What's the fix in your case?

It would be still interesting to know which CPU and GPU you have.

0 Likes

katrrd, would be great to get some details about your CPU and GPU.

0 Likes
h9l
Adept I

I'm using the latest drivers 24.1.1 and the issue is still there.

I no longer think that it is a Firefox bug, because I'm having rendering glitches in Microsoft Word, VSCode and Figma.

More people on Reddit and Firefox bug tracker reported to have the same issue with 7600 and 7800x3d iGPUs.

When will this issue be fixed, AMD?

0 Likes
ranX
Journeyman III

Hi to all,

I can confirm the issues.
Platform is Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS; Hardware is the Ryzen 5 7600x iGPU.

With any recent AMD driver Firefox gets rendered so blurry it's absolutely unusable.
The "fix" which worked for me:
I browsed to AMDs repo https://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu-install/
First I uninstalled the recent version by "sudo amdgpu-uninstall && sudo apt-get remove amdgpu-install --purge"
Then I've choosen some older versions from the above repo and checked for a working one by "trial and error".
To avoid an unnecessary long run of the installer run "sudo apt-get install ./Downloads/amdgpu-install_5.%yourversionhere%.deb && sudo amdgpu-install --usecase=graphics"
The "--usecase=graphics" will only install the bare driver and skip the ROCm stuff, which isn't used anyway.

For me the latest working installer is version 5.5 which installs 23.10.2 from 28th July 2023.
This is the last one, which works for me when using Firefox.
Try yourself an find the driver to your like.

@amd: your driver has issues for more than half a year and you still didn't fix it - shame on you !
I' am already thinking of buying a discrete NV GPU ...

Best regards
ranX

0 Likes
R____
Journeyman III

Another case here. Very similar issues. 

Strange characters replacing text. Text randomly offset or missing entirely. Text appearing and then disappearing, sometimes when scrolling or clicking somewhere on a page, other times when simply moving the mouse. Often returns to normal for a particular region of a page when selecting a line of text, but not always. Web elements occasionally change colour. 

My computer is a new build so I haven't had much of a chance to test many other programs to see if it happens elsewhere. So far it is only in Firefox with hardware acceleration turned on. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600

GPU: None (sent away for warranty)

Mobo: MSI B650M GAMING PLUS WIFI

RAM: Silicon Power XPOWER Zenith Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30

GPU Drivers: Adrenalin 24.5.1

Chipset Drivers: 6.05.28.016

0 Likes
Bedna
Journeyman III

I am so glad I found this topic.

For me, this has been going on for YEARS with 2 different computers and 3 different operating systems.
All with correctly supported hardware, memory modules included.

First on my old X4 black edition something something (I cant remember the exact model) since forever ago on windows 10 (and IIRC before that on win7, or maybe hw accel was not available for that, it is very long ago). Letters are scrambled EXACTLY like in OP:s pictures. So turned off hw accel.

Then after that, I had an 8core FX something something (less relevant, the point is the EXACT same bug is present) and had to disable hw accel to be able to read letters.

Got a new computer recently, now using AMD Ryzen 9 7900X, installed win 11, installed firefox, same thing, scrambled fonts.
I then switched to linux, landed on Arch, installed firefox, SAME THING, scrambled letters.
And yes, hw accel works just fine on the system otherwise, ALL diagnostic tools returns no errors or problems at all.
I use reverse prime so all my rendering is happening on my CPU unless I choose otherwise.

So this is something that has been going on over generations of AMD cpu:s AND multiple operating systems.

I like most others obv suspected this to be a firefox thing, but the longer it goes, the more I believe AMD to be the culprit.

REALLY fkn sux that I can not use HW accel and that AMD would not adress something like this.
For more than 10 years of browsing usage, never hw accleration. I guess it shows how much AMD cares about user AND climate.

0 Likes