cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

shadowhide
Adept I

Relive causes core clock to get stuck in highest state

Turning on instant replay or starting a recording though relive makes the Core Clock set itself to Min/Max in State 7

Video of the issue in action:

System

• AMD Graphics Card Make & Model
    • RX Vega 64
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 21H2 OS Build 19044.1586
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenaline 22.3.2 (I have rollback all they way to 21.12.1 and while it didn't happen before in earlier ones it does now)
  • Display Make and model and connection/adapter in use, resolution, and refresh rate.
    • Philips 43PUS8536 3840x2160 @60Hz connected through HDMI
  • CPU/APU Make and model number
    • Ryzen 5 2600X
  • Motherboard Make & Model + Bios Revision
    • Asus ROG Crosshair VII X470 BIOS 4402
  • Power Supply Unit Make & Model + Wattage
    • Corsair RMi1000 1000w Plus Gold
  • System Memory Make & Model + Frequency
    • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz CL16 2x8GB

Thanks for the help

0 Likes
10 Replies
shadowhide
Adept I

I've also just seen that it happens when opening the radeon overlay UI in game, wether it's on fullscreen or sidebar mode, for a some seconds but goes back to normal soon after

Original video from youtube since the one in the main post is taking ages to be approved

https://youtu.be/1lw8QN4fs7s 

0 Likes

V64 owner here too. Had many times in the past with core/mem clocks getting stuck on highest power state during wattman overclocking and applying wattman profiles. Seems to be entirely random when it happens.I usually just spam restarts or DDU + reinstall drivers when it gets stubborn. I've never personally seen this specific behaviour with Instant Replay though. 

Also, that thing where the other power states get greyed out in wattman is a relatively new thing, I've had it before too but only in the past few driver versions. That also seems to happen randomly too - no real rhyme or reason to it that I can discern.

This is from February, when I first ran into it. 05e5942b95752dc0a5068c1a0861a043.png

0 Likes
shadowhide
Adept I

After some more tinkering I found out it happens to any state if it's set to 1630 (default state 7 clock) and it stops happening as soon as you lower the clock speed to 1629. Here is another video of it happening:

Can you try this and see if it goes like that for you too @thanatoast ?

0 Likes

not sure why you'd ever actually do that in a real situation though?

here's mine as of right now

ee235f2fd842a65ffd228423043dfa8a

also, just tried it. doesnt turn grey for me.

edit: should probably point out that the settings in this screenshot are identical to the one i posted above. yet that one has greyed out sliders. it is UTTERLY random and happens on multiple driver versions from this year. i can go an entire overclocking session without seeing it a single time, then it'll randomly start doing it over something as simple as changing a fan curve, or applying a profile. theres no rhyme or reason that i've been able to see at all.

0 Likes

Yeah no real use case scenario, just investigating so if any mod sees it or I send a bug report in app I have some info for them.

Yours doesn't bork with relive active then? be it currently recording or just having instant replay with desktop recording on?

I never had it happen until it popped out after an update and the only thing that has caused it so far is Relive

0 Likes

ok! found something! turning on record desktop DOES cause it to happen!

https://i.gyazo.com/54a01556eed80aac13bef2f00c275cc3.mp4 

edit: no you're definitely right. whenever i open the sidebar/fullscreen radeon overlay while in game, core clock goes to max. same for when instant replay is on in game. 

0 Likes

Great, so it does seem like Relive is the main culprit. I've sent a bug report from the radeon software settings and hopefully it gets fixed or someone sees it here and can help us. For now I'll stick to OC'ing just the memory and leaving the core at 1629.

so, i have HWinfo open on my second monitor 100% of the time when im on my PC. just to keep an eye on things.

885f188082e19081506ce58f5a8e2513

and now im recalling all the times in the past where i've looked at core clocks while on a menu (or an otherwise low-usage scenario) in a game and thought "huh, why is it pegged at max?". of course, clocks always drop during any significant load, meaning the problem becomes undetectable. and due to the heavy undervolt i run on my card, its hard to notice any increase in temps from this either. good job finding this dude.

glad i dont actually use desktop recording LOL. and i guess i dont mind stuck core clocks when im actually on a game. 

0 Likes

I must say, I never had this problem, on the other hand I don't use AMD Relive since I don't find it any good to begin with.

My Rig:
OBS ver. 27.2.4 (In settings change Codek to S/W from H/W GPU) if You want to record /streaming a gaming session @ 60FPS That will make a whole new experience with high quality video, while gaming in high or ultra presets in game graphics settings.
- Forget all about AMD Relive what so ever. It can't even be compared.
OBS is a Freeware and I highly recommended it: https://obsproject.com/

GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT OC 16GB
GPU Driver: AMD Adrenalin s/w: 22.4.1 (Driver version: 30.0.15021.1001)
Extended monitor setup: Gigabyte AORUS-FI27Q27" 2560x1440 @165Hz (primary), Philips IPS 24" 1920x1080 @60Hz (secondary).
Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (wi-fi) with AMD X570 chipset
BIOS ver. 4006 (with AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.6b)
SAM: Enabled and fully functional.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X (16 cores)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance low profile 16GB @3200 MHz cl16
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15-Se AM4
Storage: M2 Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NWME, SSD Samsumg 950 Pro 1 TB SATA
Mouse: Logitech Gaming mouse MX518
Antivirus: Norton 360 Deluxe
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 with latest Windows optional update.

Best regards from Sweden

0 Likes

relive is great aside from the buggy ass software its packaged in. same can be said for everything included with AMD drivers to be honest. nice features, surrounded by taint.

i dont "record" with relive, i use instant replay pretty much exclusively, much like the same feature in nvidia shadowplay. to my knowledge, obs doesnt have this feature. nor does any other software.

and to be honest, this bug doesnt really affect me all that much? i dont use desktop recording, so the only times my core/mem clocks get pinned to p7...are when im on a game. thats totally fine by me. would be nice if it got patched though!

0 Likes