cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Darciukas
Adept I

Red Dead Redemption 2 isn't detecting VRAM

hmabtg09mabb1.pngToday I redownloaded RDR2 only to be met with a warning that my drivers are too old (while I'm actually running the most recent optional amd drivers) and a warning that I have less than the minimum specified amount of VRAM. This wasn't the case when I first downloaded the game a few months ago. Now when I go to the settings in hopes of adjusting them, it just says that I have 0GB VRAM and doesn't let me apply changes. I tried manually changing the settings by editing system.xml, but the game retaliated by changing my resolution to 720p, even if the settings file specifies 1080p and is read only. Any ideas on how to fix this?

GPU: RX 6600 XT

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600

Amd software version: 23.7.1

0 Likes
1 Solution
Darciukas
Adept I

What fixed this issue for me was simply uninstalling the drivers using AMD Cleanup utility (DDU didn't work) and reinstalling them. If this doesn't work make sure to read the other replies in this post.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
SadDice
Adept I

i am having the same issue, any luck? ive went back to old drivers and to the newest release and still no fix

Sadly no, I've looked far and wide for a solution, but to no avail. Currently waiting for official Rockstar support to respond

i found a makeshift work around for now but it wont allow you to change game settings in game. documents>rockstar>read dead>settings then go to the system.xml file (right click and edit) and you can change everything there with graphics and when doens go to the system.xml properties (right click and properties) then set it to read only and the settings will work in game. it sucks we cant change in game but it atleast allows you to play.  

i might of found a fix, using the same file i said in my other post you find where it says <API>kSettingAPI_DX12</API>  <API>kSettingAPI_Vulkan</API>  i swapped the vulkan text to the direct x 12 and now it is reading all of my vram and i am able to change in game make sure you also go to properties of the file and make sure read only is not selected. if you need more help i will write a full guide for you 

Dude thank you for this, I had the same issue with the 6700 XT but now it works!

0 Likes
Darciukas
Adept I

What fixed this issue for me was simply uninstalling the drivers using AMD Cleanup utility (DDU didn't work) and reinstalling them. If this doesn't work make sure to read the other replies in this post.

0 Likes
PermanentNoob
Journeyman III

I had the same issue on my new computer and none of the above fixes worked. I was able to resolve the issue by disabling onboard graphics.

AMD Ryzen R9 7900 X3D
ASUS PRIME X670E-PRO WIFI
64 GB DDR 5
AMD Radeon RX 6600

0 Likes