cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Dragspear
Adept I

Random cases of 'No signal' to Monitor

Sometimes when I turn on my PC the monitor shows no signal but my KBM and PC light up and I hear the windows boot sound. I tried using an Anti-sag bracket and a vertical screw thing to hold the huge 6800XT. Now, I'm using a Gen4 vertical mount. It was fine for the first 20 days, now the issue started again.

I am randomly getting the no signal issue with my monitor. Sometimes it works fine for almost the whole day then it is days like today where it is showing no signal randomly after few minutes.

I have tried using HDMI cable, no signal. Connecting my DP and HDMI to MoBo however shows the display. It is not a monitor or a cable issue. I do not think it is a power issue as I am using an 850W PSU connected to a UPS with 865W output. I checked my W consumption on the UPS display to be 500ish W at full load including my monitor. 

During startup when the issue occurs, the GPU RGB turns on, but the fans do not rotate. During a normal boot the fans spins till the windows login page.

I do not think it is a faulty driver as I cannot even see my POST screen which shows 'Gigabyte Ultra Durable'. I read if it is a driver issue still the POST screen should be visible. Before I forget yes, I have firmly placed the GPU to my PCIE slot and heard the click.

I have tried using DDU in safe mode and still nothing. VBIOS is already updated to the latest version. I've used 23.5.1/5.2/7.1 drivers.

My specs:

* Gigabyte B650M GAMING AX

* R5 7600X

* MSI GAMING Z 6800XT

* XPG LANCER DDR5 32GB 6000Mhz

* NZXT C850W

* Acer XV272U KV

Feel free to ask questions. This was my first time building a PC, the first 2 weeks were perfect and now I'm depressed. Because I cannot find any solution to this. Now 2 months, because this issue seems to randomly appear and disappear. I do remember however, when I still used the PCIE port reseating the GPU would solve this issue. I haven't tried this with my vertical mount yet. But then again, that is not a solution. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Dragspear
Adept I

So, I am literally dumb. Whenever the disconnect happened I always checked the white extension cable to my GPU because that was infront of me. Tonight, I opened the back panel to see a single 2 pin PSU cable loosely attached to the white extension cable.

Basically all of my PSU PCIe cables came in 6+2 format. A small pin basically held the 6+2 together to form an 8 pin. 2 cables were properly linked with the extension cables. One cable had a 2 pin slightly loose from the connection. At a glace everything looked fine. When I paid close attention I noticed the 2 pin is not completely pushed in like the 6 pin side.

Power flow:

PSU -> PSU cables (*) -> White extension cables -> GPU

*loose connection

This is probably why I sometimes saw no signal before POST. Or, randomly loose connection. The GPU was getting enough power from the connected pins that's why the RGB kept working. But that loose 2 pin made the GPU switch off and crash the driver.

I'm still skeptical however, if everything runs fine for a few weeks or a month. I'll report back and close this thread. @moRReus Thought I'd let you know. Have a look at your connections. Because it's before POST it's definitely something on the hardware side.

View solution in original post

53 Replies
Zmelord
Journeyman III

Is the HDMI cable new? What kind of monitor do you have?

0 Likes

And which Windows do you use?

0 Likes

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

0 Likes

Have you tried installing windows 10 instead of windows 11?

0 Likes

Kind of, I am using the Amazon Basics one. Which supports upto 4K. I think it's HDMI 2.1. I am using DP for my monitor though. It's acer XV272U 27" 1440p 170Hz.

0 Likes
Dragspear
Adept I

So, I tried something different. I connected my DP to GPU and HDMI to MoBo. I checked device manager and saw the GPU is hidden and is not enabled. (Code 45) error. There's also no option to enable it. Only update and disable/remove. Thoughts?

0 Likes
moRReus
Journeyman III

Came here looking for a solution to what I think is the same issue as you.

Started after either installing the latest driver and/or windows update. I originally tried to install the newest AMD driver, but it didn't let me at first because apparently the Windows update had been installed and was pending a restart. It was the end of the day, so I let it update and shutdown. Next day, everything was fine and later installed the newest AMD driver this time with no issue... until later.

I started getting random loss of video signal. Upon restarting, I was back up, but the driver didn't seem to load as all the display settings were like I hadn't installed any drivers. I rolled back to an older driver and that seemed to work. Until the next day... same issue. Random loss of video signal. Restarting would go like it did before. Device Manager showed my card was disabled. Once enabled it would show the problem state exclamation point. Did a DDU clean in safe mode and reinstalled the newest AMD driver and also tried uninstalling the latest Windows update. Worked and played games for the entire day without issue. 

Until today again. No signal right out of the gate. Couldn't see POST or anything. Restarting and turning off completely (plus turning off all power at the PSU) did not get the signal back. Right now, I'm plugged into the Mobo/igpu and not seeing my gpu in device manager like you. 

Windows 11

EVGA GT 1000W

Asrock X670E Steel Legend

AMD 7600

G.Skill Trident Z5 6000

XFX X6950XT

Much like you, the system has been running perfect up until now. You posted this on Thursday which is right around the same time I installed those updates. I'm thinking it's related. Do you remember a Windows update recently around the 12th? Will keep trying some things and report back.

0 Likes
moRReus
Journeyman III

Minor update.

I uninstalled the gpu from device manager, restarted and tried to scan for it, but it did not come back up. After that, I shut everything down and reseated the pcie riser cable into the motherboard and restarted. Device manager showed the gpu again, so I switched the hdmi over to it and it worked for the entire day without issue. (AMD drivers were still installed)

Until... you guessed it, today when I started up the PC again. No video and my 6950xt is showing hidden again.

Never seen this before. There are at least 2 or 3 others with threads about getting no signal just recently too. Still seems like either that windows update or the newest drivers borked something on install or something... I'm just not sure unfortunately.

0 Likes

Is fastboot enabled in the bios?

0 Likes

I lean towards a yes, but I'll have to double check a little later... I went back to 23.5.1 drivers and reseated the gpu/riser cable that last time and I actually had video today when I started it up. So far lol

@Dragspear  Any luck or updates on your end? 

0 Likes

I've been facing this issue since the last month or so. 2 weeks after building my PC. What seems to always work is reseating my GPU. After a reseat, my PC works fine for almost a week or two. But, this isn't a solution. I still doubt it's something to do with drivers. Why would the GPU show no signal before POST? My GPU would only show an issue when it suddenly shuts off while playing a game. I need to go to device manager -> enable Gpu -> But it'll say that it cannot find any drivers -> I go to update and manually select the latest driver from the box.

And Sorry for the late response @moRReus I shared this query in the AMD Discord and they're recommending an RMA. Have you noticed whether your fans were spinning when this issue happens?

@Zmelord my fastboot is disabled. 

0 Likes

No worries! And gotcha... I was pretty focused on the fact that for me it started right after those two updates. 

Mine was black screening(not necessarily ingame) at first and then it started getting no video I believe before post as well the following day. A reseat fixed mine both times I tried it too, though only until I turned the pc off and back on the next day. Another DDU run and older driver install has it working good for the moment, but we'll see if it lasts. 

Also, my card has a factory waterblock installed, so no fans to check.

@Zmelord My fastboot is indeed enabled currently

0 Likes

This is a new build or been a few months/years?

Also, you might want to turn fast boot off. See if this changes things a bit.

0 Likes

The 6950XT has been in use since January, then followed by the rest of the system being new/updated in early May. 

Black screened again last night while idling at the desktop as I was getting ready for bed. Switched the hdmi over and had the notification (image below) on the screen and was back to the usual Code 45/Device not connected in Device Manager like you've mentioned. 

Still currently the same... haven't done a reseat or anything just yet. I did disable the fast boot however.

Adrenalin1.png

0 Likes

Have you tried to get and re-install the video card in the slot?

0 Likes

i have the same problem to re installing the video card will also not work even reinstalling windows or even switching win10 to win11 not working clean installation will also not work i tried everything not even 1 working that is problem with amd drivers the the support is also not helped me they said do clean installation and clean installation of amd drivers they need to fix this it has been 2 months im still having this problem after that adrenal tool  i feel to switch to NVidia  

0 Likes

After reseating, today I had the problem again, I was in game. Then suddenly no signal to monitor. How long has it been? Probably 1 week.

@moRReus Are you considering RMA and getting a fresh card?

0 Likes

@Zmelord Yeah, the few times I had no signal at boot, I reseated the riser cable into the motherboard and it came up and worked fine until next boot up. Had to do it a couple times. Currently working good for a couple of days at the moment.

@rogshizu Support told me the same thing. No real info, just suggested to load factory BIOS settings, install latest chipset, clean boot and driver clean, then reinstall latest graphics drivers. 

@Dragspear I'm not sure yet, perhaps I should. It's been working without any issue for a couple days, but I'm just kinda waiting for it to start again unfortunately... Sounds pretty likely going by your post. That sucks. Still don't understand if the driver install could have had an effect, but all I know is that it was working flawlessly until literally only hours after that driver update. Issues ever since.

0 Likes
Dragspear
Adept I

Tonight I updated to 23.7.2 and after an hour 'No Signal'. I quickly connected my HDMI to Mobo and saw A driver timeout error. Before I could screenshot it, it got replaced by the generic crash detection error as posted above. I looking into Device Manager and my GPU is showing as "Not connected, please connect the device". Basically hidden. There's no enable button and the DP cable is still connected.

@moRReus @rogshizu Have you guys found any solution?

0 Likes
Hiramabiff
Adept III

I actually had this issue a year ago. It ended up being my psu I have a 850w evga gold. 

MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600, Gigabyte RX 7600 OC, 980 PRO with Heatsink 2TB
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you have multi monitor or desktop or going to a soundbar/receiver AVR audio system via HDMI.. or using DP and HDMI mix..

there are times the rear HDMI cable or DP cable is the issue and it can lose a signal for a split second, the PC and OS configure the outputs off BOOT and power on. It may be detecting IGPU or something switch from dedicated etc. try HYBRID GRAPHICS in bios.

also something drivers malware or other apps games are fighting to disable FREESYNC and put in a buffer or vsync change or some capture stuff. This can when freesync output selected but turned off in drivers or in the TV itself maybe switches from game mode to entertainment mode was it called LLC or LLS where it auto detects movie or game and adjusts the output in HDMI 2.1 spec automagically when app or OS is freesync and TV isnt.. you get NO SIGNAL. try with remote control buttons or press buttons the side of your TV or monitor turn freesync/game mode OFF and see if issue goes away, you also maybe have the wrong refresh rate for freesync or Vsync. Are  you gaming on an ultrawideload of monitor? If so dont use custom resolutions stick to traditional 60hz or 120hz and 720p or 1080p most displays have a 60hz freesync limit which is sort of a sweetspot. you supposed to use like chill and freesync and or enhanced sync to super low latency smoother frames fed output to the display at a sort of INIFINITY 60hz.. the higher your FPS the better the freesync 60hz becomes smoother lower latency BUT it needs AMD include libraries for chill and the game engine and stuff must optimize 0 latency and use specific scientifically accurate game engine software. you maybe still in freesync mode and the tv or whatever switched to NOT freesync mode or it changes the active monitor for whatever reason to your SOUND DEVICE AVR. The other thing is often hibernate or other things are glitched.. try never sleeps option and ryzen balanced plan from the chipset drivers.. AND maybe disable hibernation/page file if you've plenty of RAM and its NOT a laptop. NEVER use ECO or power saving mode the hardware auto regulates power and saves power in idle or boost clock base clock etc. by default its a hardware thing. you not giving hardware its default power is dumb

0 Likes
Uka
Journeyman III

Windows 11 KB5028254 (22H2) update. July 26, 2023

The Windows 11 update also comes with solutions for a range of other issues, including inconsistencies in reporting of the L2 cache for certain CPUs, the unexpected termination of games due to Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) errors, issues with certain display and audio devices disappearing after the system resumes from sleep, and much more. ?

0 Likes
moRReus
Journeyman III

@Dragspear No, still not sure. Mine just started again today after working without issue since last Thursday. I saw the same "timeout", then crash error messages pop up when I switched over as well. This was on 23.7.1

0 Likes
Dragspear
Adept I

I looked up about timeout issue. Because the black screen happened again. I disabled MPO which was recommended by everyone. But it didn't solve the issue because again the no signal issue happened to me in game.

My Windows 11 is upto date. @Uka 

0 Likes

are you getting no signal when you boot up or when steam is launched to play a game?

MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC, CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600, Gigabyte RX 7600 OC, 980 PRO with Heatsink 2TB
0 Likes

Sup everyone, im having the EXACT issue as yall. My card is a SAPPHIRE NITRO RX 5700 XT and the black screens and random no signals have been happening to me too, ive tried everything said here and the issue still persists

0 Likes

Have you found fix?

0 Likes
hardypasina
Journeyman III

Arrived here seeking a solution for what seems to be the same problem as yours

0 Likes
Fulminedragon
Journeyman III

same here..

try to remove the "AMD High Definition Audio Device" driver would make some help.

0 Likes

Did deleting the driver help?

0 Likes

This worked for me, when I uninstalled this driver, the video card driver became normal.

0 Likes

What GPU do you have? 

0 Likes

gigabyte 6650XT eagle,with 23.7.1 

Screenshot 2023-08-01 082146.png

0 Likes
AlejandroGonzalez
Journeyman III

Random but ir might be a breakthrough. I was on call in discord whit my friend and I lost signal. Funny though I could hear him and we were talking normally. He also said he could see and hear my screen (I was screensharing) So its def the gpu

0 Likes
AMD_cire
Challenger

I get this on 23.7.1 and 23.7.2.

My settings is GPU fan never stop. So I know my monitor will not back on is after monitor turn off, the GPU fans also stop (it should keeps running because only turn off monitor, not sleep).

Next, move the mouse, GPU fans kick in and monitor will not on, solution is hard reset.

After reset, monitor show sluggishness to display because GPU driver suddenly just not recognize(some kind removed) by Windows.

This incident happens twice in 1 weeks. It's just never happens on 22.11.2 (my best driver so far), but now I am using 23.5.2 for a test and if still happens, then still the most stable for me is 22.11.2

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G

Still get the issue on 23.5.2. Now back to stable one 22.11.2.

Oh how i wish it was the same solution as yours, I tried 22.11.2 no changes still getting the no signal after passing the WINDOWS LOGO SCREEN then I keep hearing EJECT SOUND then NO SIGNAL occurs after. Good for you though!

0 Likes

Seems like hardware failure..

Well, GPU at least without any driver still can display to monitor. You know, you build pc, plug the GPU into mother board, plug hdmi/dp to monitor, start it up, at least 100% it will display something on your monitor without any driver installed.

So something off between GPU, motherboard or BIOS.

0 Likes
amduser_Jb
Adept II

Still waiting for a fix -_-

0 Likes