Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Tinyskynet
Adept II

Raedonsoftware.exe on 24.4.1 crash cause

Hi.

I've been wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

I just found why my raedonsoftware.exe(24.4.1) keeps crashing/closing itself when I launch a game. I have the AMD Fluid Motion Frames option on by default and that seems to be the cause for the crash. When I turn it off, for a game or in general, raedonsoftware.exe does not crash and I can just set up everything in game with Alt+R. If I however turn that option on, even when I'm already in a game, it crashes right away with no error message  (except for an error in the eventslog).

7 Replies
jackphillips825
Journeyman III

You're not alone! i have also experienced similar issues with raedonsoftware.exe crashing due to the AMD Fluid Motion Frames option. Turning it off seems to solve the problem, allowing for smooth gaming experience without crashes. Thanks for sharing your solution!

0 Likes
mda777
Adept II

I can confirm the issue as well.

So far I tested it on Resident Evil 4, Borderlands 3 and Helldivers 2, so I think it is safe to say the game application doesn't matter. As soon as I enable Hyper RX profile (or Fluid Motion Frames toggler, makes no difference), either the overlay freezes or dissapears and Adrenaline software is gone from the system tray, which indicates a crash. The GPU itself runs fine, so purely a software issue.

Running an RX 7900 XT.

0 Likes
tycho2849
Adept I

Same problem with RX 7800 XT with Assassin's Creed Mirage and Everspace 2.

Also the Metrics Overlay, when it does appear, always shows FPS as N/A - FPS does show normally when Fluid Motion Frames is disabled.

When Fluid Motion Frames are enabled and game is launched from Adrenaline, the game launches okay and Adrenaline crashes immediately.

0 Likes
Tinyskynet
Adept II

Update:

Still the same Problem with the new 24.5.1 Drivers, but I did notice something.

After installed the new driver(yes, with cleanup utility in safe mode and disconnected from the internet just to be sure), for some reason Afmf worked. But after a reboot however, it did not. 

So, maybe it is some kind of unknown conflict, but so far I was not able to find out what it might be.

Never had that problem with the old 24.3.1 driver though, so maybe I'm just hunting ghosts.

0 Likes

My solution, a rather drastic one: I ended up doing a clean install of Windows 11 and the crashing stopped. I only use Windows for gaming so it was not really a big deal.

I hope you find a fix.

0 Likes
gerardof75
Adept I

Same problem here with my RX 7900 XT and driver version 24.5.1.

That's the error that appears in Event Viewer's Application Log:

Faulting application name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.2016, time stamp: 0x663c0ac1
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.3430, time stamp: 0x92b2df34
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000a4907
Faulting process id: 0x0x6B38
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DAA7DBE8E347BF
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 161b484e-15ee-4b5a-adc8-0aef006f707b
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

0 Likes

Well, AMD needs to fix this. I highly doubt reinstalling windows would do the trick, because the exe is the problem. How can I know? Simple, I replaced the radeonsoftware.exe by force with the one from the 24.3.1 driver...and what do you know, it does not crash anymore. Problem is that exe also has a bug. It does not show fps in the overlay. But, with afmf enabled it does not crash and it does work with the new driver. That is of course not really a solution, because I do not know what in that exe is missing (something obviously is because it is a slightly different file size).

But please, AMD, fix that file!

0 Likes