Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

oark
Adept III

Radeon VII Screen Flickering When Using Dual Displays

Hi!

More than year and not fixed yet so this is my last try before i send this GPU to grave.

I have two monitor: Odyssey G7 ( 2560 x 1440p 240Hz 8 Bit) and C27HG70 ( 2560 x 1440p 144Hz 10 Bit)

As you can see below, once i plug two monitors VRAM read go above the limit

RadeonVII.PNG

Which cause this (Same effects when you kill your GPU with too much O.C)

Capture.PNG

This only happen when i open images or using browser and even right now while i am typing in this forum, the funny thing once i open any game VRAM Clock speed drop to 1000 MHz stable without fluctuation and everything works fine for hours but once i close the game and in light usage my screen start again to show wired lines only in main monitor.

I tried to plug old LCD 1920x1080 60 Hz with 2560x1440 1440p 144Hz and same problem appeared again 

I tried to lower resolution on second monitor from 144Hz to 60 Hz in windwos settings but within seconds i get blue screen with error code THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
bluescreen1.PNG
and sometimes error code VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE

Bluescreen2.PNG

This problem since the release date of radeon VII i tried all drivers months by months but nothing fixed my issue and reported many times in AMD Report tool but i think they simply don't care.

Last thing the almighty black screen is 10x times worst when i plug two monitors in  Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.9.1 or any old driver, for now i am using 20.Q3.1 Enterprise driver because i did not get any black screen yet in 20.Q3.1 driver.

Using Radeon VII since lunch date and i was living inside black screen simulator unable to record unable to use blender in multi monitors, my experience with AMD for more than year was really bad it is like having a prototype GPU and you are forced to live with all bugs for ever.

40 Replies
cplifj
Elite

Which of the cards outputs are you using ?

Have you tried using different outputs ? like 1 hdmi and the other dp, or 2 over dp.

Yeah i tried all of them!

What makes it 100% driver issue i tried different Radeon VII ( Crossfire or single card)

SAME ISSUE even when i plug first monitor to Sapphire Radeon and second monitor to Asrock Radeon VII or any order you imagine

IMG_2eeee707.jpg

elibkmp
Adept I

Hey, same problems here on my Radeon VII (At stock/undervolt/overclock) as well. (on B450/Ryzen 5 2600X/750Watt Corsair RM Power Supply)

Main display is a BenQ Ex3203 Freesync - 1440p @ 144hz - Displayport

Secondary is an Acer QG221Q Freesync - 1080p @ 75Hz - HDMI

Only the main display flickers, can happen randomly on desktop or browsing reddit/youtube/other sites on firefox.

I've replaced the Displayport cable with a certified cable.

This is my only remaining problem with this card.

Just wanted to contribute.

Thanks for confirmation!

I hope they fix this issue.

I got my VII in March 2019 and there is a thread about this issue started in February 2019: https://community.amd.com/thread/237060 

I am not holding my breath.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the post. We are aware of this issue and are looking into it. 

teslap100
Adept I

Hello, I just want to add that just like OP I have similar issues Radeon VII (20.9.2 drivers) after just buying a new 2nd monitor, the Samsung Odyssey G7 32" 240hz. I have been experiencing BSOD while trying to use the monitor in a dual setup with my Asus X248Q 1080p 240 hz. I've tried two separate DP 1.4 cables including the one supplied by Samsung and I still crash instantly when I open Firefox/Chrome, which typically leads to a BSOD loop on logon until I turn off one of the monitors. The flickering others have reported I have also just noticed as I type on the Odyssey G7 on desktop with Firefox open.

I just want to add as well that with my old 2nd monitor the Benq XL2420T 1080p 120hz (DP), I had no issues with it working with my Asus XG248Q and from what I have read people have similar issues with higher resolution higher refresh rate Samsung/LG monitors. It's kind of disheartening seeing Reddit threads of these same issues happening 6-8 months ago and still recurring even with the latest drivers.

BSOD CODE: 0x100000ea

PAR1: ffffd401`67904080

PAR2: 00000000`00000000

PAR3: 00000000`00000000

PAR4: 00000000`00000000
Caused by driver: amdkmdag.sys

Caused by address: amdkmdag.sys+1a288b

EDIT1:

Flickering getting worse, particularly when browsing web and discord open. I have also noticed that I cannot set color depth to 10 bit even though my monitor supports it. I see the option but it just reverts back to 8 bit. I have ordered two VESA certified DP 1.4 cables just to rule out the cables, which should come by tomorrow.

EDIT2:

I've received the VESA certified cables, but it appears flickering still persists, possibly less often but I am not 100% sure yet and while both monitors are on at the same time I still get the same THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD....

EDIT3:

Tried 20.9.1 and lowering refresh rate on second monitor (Samsung G7) to 144 hz (and 120 hz) and there is still flickering and hard crashing. Tried as well use use HDMI for the Asus XG248Q and Displayport for the Samsung G7 and there was still an immediate BSOD upon using both monitors at the same time.

As a temporary fix you can try version 19.5.2.

0 Likes

I might try 19.5.2 when I get home and verify this on my own card. But that specific driver was released on June 4, 2019. So a temporary fix cant be classified as temporary if the issue hasn't been resolved in a year and a half. I still want image sharpening and all the updated game support since then.

0 Likes

Well at least this lets me use the PC normally without constant flickering and artefacts. I call it a temporary fix because I am still kind of hoping they will finally fix it in the current driver version before the card is abandoned altogether.

Judging by the sorry state of affairs (and the February 2019 thread) AMD does not really care. There were two posts by ray_m‌ in that thread, at the very start, and that was it.

0 Likes
xiatian
Adept II

Does it happen with Radeon Software version 19.5.2?

I have similar display corruption issues, on my primary DisplayPort monitor only (the HDMI-connected TV seems fine), with a Sapphire Radeon VII (my HD7950 is also affected; it was the reason I bought the VII in the first place as I thought my card is busted). Everything is fine when a game is running, but not when doing anything else. Both of my displays are 60 Hz, though, and I did not check VRAM status. Using 19.5.2 due to this, as that one particular version (all previous ones and everything after is affected) has no issues for both HD7950 (for these older cards drivers from 2018 work fine as well) and VII and even has a release notes line about flickering being fixed.

Primary monitor: Dell UP3216q, DisplayPort (3840×2160, 60 Hz).
Secondary monitor: Sony Bravia KD-47W808A or Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005, HDMI (both 1920×1080 60 Hz).

0 Likes
teslap100
Adept I

I have not tried drivers going back past 20.8.X, I might try at some point. For my hard crash issue with the Samsung G7 monitor I may have found a temporary fix, which involves using HDMI instead of Displayport. I'm still seeing intermittent desktop flickering, however it does not instantly BSOD when I have two monitors active from the little testing I've done so far, so fingers crossed. The only issue now is that I cannot use the monitors 240 hz only 144 hz and 8 bit color instead of 10 bit, due to HDMI bandwidth limitations.

0 Likes

Radeon VII has been well known to be problematic with dual panels. I suggest using a good 4K or 8K panel depending on the workflow.

0 Likes
elibkmp
Adept I

Just to update. I have noticed absolutely no screen flicker in the 20.10.1 adrenaline drivers. It only took way too long for this to get fixed in a flagship product, but I'm glad it's finally done. Thank you amd!

0 Likes
oark
Adept III

Using now 20.10.1 driver and Windows  20H2.

It is worst than ever, my mouse cursor glitched after the flicker when i was watching video then paused for 10 seconds. I had to restart my pc because mouse cursor was replaced with broken pixels.

0 Likes

The mouse cursor issue is quite an annoying one and is not related to flicker, it has been there since at least HD3000 series (and I think I had that issue appear even with the original Radeon 7500 Pro, the AGP one).

If you have two monitors you might notice that the cursor is fine on the other one, and sometimes (but rarely) the cursor can be fixed by switching video modes or rapidly moving it between two screens.

teslap100
Adept I

With 20.10.1 I still can't use displayport on my Samsung G7 with two monitors active and still have the occasional desktop flickering on both monitors. I think they are aware about the issue, but its concerning that its taking so long to fix.

oark
Adept III

20.11.1, 20.11.2 and 20.11.3

The problem not fixed yet.

HeadOfCatering
Journeyman III

I Just discovered that I have this issue too... looks like I bought the second monitor and the 2 monitor stand for nothing... I'm p***ed off!

Thanks for posting this... otherwise I would have gone mad troubleshooting this issue... never would have thought that a higher end graphics card like the Radeon VII can't handle 2 screens...

Why are there even 4 ports on this card if it doesn't work?... great job AMD...

This is so frustrating... at the moment I can't even get a new card without wasting money on an obsolete model... the new NVIDIA cards aren't available anywhere... and it's not like I'll buy an AMD card EVER AGAIN... fool me once...

don't get me wrong... I'm in IT and I can deal with bugs... but this is outrageous... they sell me a card with 4 ports and after YEARS it's been out it still doesn't work and in this thread an AMD guy even acknowledges it's a know issue AND NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE ABOUT IT... really??? really??? tell me why I should reward AMD with another purchase? If I had the resources I would sue the **bleep** out of them... that's the only way they learn... great customer support... awesome

That is very frustrating and a very expensive card to not work as it should.

I assume you have tried working with support?

You can contact AMD support here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

If they cant fix it maybe you can demand the RMA it with one that works or give you a newer model that works.

If you paid with a credit card some of them have buyer protection that you can get your money back too.

Also never under estimate the power of filing a good old fashioned BBU complaint where they are headquartered. 

I had a Sony tv that Sony would not help on that was clearly under warranty. When they got the summons for the small claims court filing that cost me only 75 bucks they decided it was cheaper to do the right thing and replace the tv then send a leagal rep to Missouri for a court date. 

Don't give up on them making right on that card. You spent a lot for that thing!

I assume you are still trying the newer drivers and running DDU before the install and using Factory Reset when installing. That can help if the driver is just not installing right with express install. 

Good Luck!

0 Likes

Agreed, I don't know why this has not been solved... Also the marked answer is just another person showing the issue... AMD WHERE ARE YOU AT ON THIS ISSUE? THIS IS NOT A BUDGET GPU FIX YOUR PRODUCT NOW!

0 Likes

IMG_20201229_163046.jpg

IMG_20201229_165454.jpg

I just today bought 2080 Ti to replace my Radeon VII because i can't work anymore using AMD GPU

Sadly more than year of waiting for a fix and recently  i am forced to work in my home because of COVID

Funny thing i already bough Nitro+ 6800 XT  and going to be shipped after one month but i am really thinking of selling it to my friend then bye bye AMD GPU 

Bought Ryzen 9 5900x I was hoping full AMD rig would be better choice but what a failure. 

0 Likes

Hope you didn't buy that 2080ti new at full price. A 3070 is about the same speed and most range from 500-600. 

0 Likes

@pokester wrote:

Hope you didn't buy that 2080ti new at full price. A 3070 is about the same speed and most range from 500-600. 

At this point I don't even care. I'll take whatever card doesn't flicker while I'm working on it. FFS if I had epilepsy I could sue them for how often this card would trigger a seizure...

0 Likes

@righteous_coder wrote:

@pokester wrote:

At this point I don't even care. I'll take whatever card doesn't flicker while I'm working on it. FFS if I had epilepsy I could sue them for how often this card would trigger a seizure...

Totally ture and don't forget they stopped manufacture Radeon VII after six months

EOL for a reason 

0 Likes

@oark wrote:

@righteous_coder wrote:

@pokester wrote:

Totally ture and don't forget they stopped manufacture Radeon VII after six months

EOL for a reason 

That is incredibly telling... 

0 Likes

@pokester wrote:

4 months Used 2080 Ti  for 680$

0 Likes

Sadly I fear I'll be doing the same. This was the first and last AMD graphics card I've ever bought. I can't believe they haven't fixed this issue yet... lesson learned... fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Based on this experience, and the thread above, this card has cost them a ton of brand equity and customers. Shame they didn't take the issue more seriously.

0 Likes

I would pay good money to see a tech reporter ask them about this issue during their next product unveiling conference. They deserve significant backlash for this card. In fact, anyone who comes to this thread, make sure to 1 star this product where ever you bought it to save any other poor soul thinking of buying this card based on the PC benchmarks.

0 Likes

How it feels to own a Radeon VIIHow it feels to own a Radeon VII

0 Likes

I never had this issue since I bought mine last year. Was using my 65" 4K LG TV. No problem whatsoever with the games.

Temporarily moved somewhere else and using Samsung 32" TV (HDMI) for 2 months now. 2 weeks ago I started seeing minimal corruption once in a week. I changed my HDMI cable and its gone.

4 days ago I re installed Windows 10 and the new 21.3.2 driver and I am banging my head on the wall since then. Second 7" touchscreen (plugged to onboard Intel GPU) keep on going black, Main screen cannot get the signal and not turned on. And flickering every couple of seconds. Re installing Windows 3 times back and forth previous 20.3.1, 30.2.3 driver with no luck.

I plugged out the 7" touchscreen completely but still flickering. I ordered certified DP to HDMI cable to try. Because GPU has only 1 HDMI and 3 DP port and TV has only HDMI.

Leys see.

Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero, I7-12700K CPU, G.Skill 6400mhz. 32GB., MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X GPU
0 Likes

@HeadOfCatering wrote:

I Just discovered that I have this issue too... looks like I bought the second monitor and the 2 monitor stand for nothing... I'm p***ed off!

Thanks for posting this... otherwise I would have gone mad troubleshooting this issue... never would have thought that a higher end graphics card like the Radeon VII can't handle 2 screens...

Why are there even 4 ports on this card if it doesn't work?... great job AMD...

Yeah, it's clearly software related because the issue doesn't persist when actually playing games. Only when the GPU is idle.

0 Likes
oark
Adept III

I upgraded last night My PC from Intel i7 9700K to Ryzen 9 5900x

But same issue, main monitor flicker and even more than before for example Calculator App alone in main screen can now trigger the flicker and Origin.exe, steam.exe and Battle.net.exe 

:( AMD HELP! 

0 Likes

My friend computer with new Radeon 6800 and Ryzen 7 5800X
SAME PROBLEM!

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-12 at 12.50.37 PM.jpeg

0 Likes

@oark wrote:

My friend computer with new Radeon 6800 and Ryzen 7 5800X
SAME PROBLEM!

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-12 at 12.50.37 PM.jpeg

Why is this marked as the solution? This is just another person showing the issue exists. AMD WE NEED A REAL FIX FOR THIS!!!! WTF IS THIS HOW YOU SUPPORT YOUR HIGHER END PRODUCTS? NOT IMPRESSED. NOTE THE ALL CAPS TO EMPHASIZE MY FRUSTRATION.

0 Likes

HEY AMD MAYBE WE CAN GET SOME ATTENTION ON THIS ISSUE IF I SPAM YOUR FORUMS ABOUT IT??? OR SHOULD I SPAM YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS TOO? MAYBE SHAME YOU ON REDDIT'S SUB FOR PC MASTER RACE? This card has been out far too long with an issue that would be classified as unusable product. Did you use the same vendor for parts on this GPU as Boeing did on the 737 Max? Seriously I don't know how else to say it. You sold broken products. No request for a new one will matter because there is clearly a software issue with this card and you've made no notable progress to resolve the issue.

0 Likes
liakoulee
Adept II

Exact same issue here with a Vega 64. I have the second monitor disconnected till this gets resolved....hoping for the next release which is being cooked for a while now.

0 Likes

I have the same problem with my old HD Radeon 5800 Series. Only when I use 2 screens. (one on HDMI the other on DisplayPort)

I found that the problem appears when the GPU clocks change.

I opened the AMD Catalyst Control Center tool on the performance tab.  

When the screen flickers, I see the memory clock going from 1200 MHz to 900 MHz. And it flickers again when it goes back to 1200 MHz. 
I noticed that when the GPU Clock and memory clock are set to 400/900 MHz, the screen does not flickered.

I tried to use the OverDrive to set the value, but it doesn't work. 

If there is a way to lock the clocks, I think the flickering would stop, but I didn't find a way to do it yet.

0 Likes