cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

colebob222
Adept I

Radeon VII flickering and artifacts when attaching a second monitor.

• Issue Description: With only my primary monitor running, no issues occur. With a second monitor running, I get intermittent issues that seem like flickering, artifacting, and tearing on only my primary monitor. These issues do no occur in 3D applications like games, but only in low-demand 2D applications such as chrome when nothing demanding is running, and the GPU is running at or around 25 MHz. Normal I'd associate issues like this with stability, but I have not done any overclocking, and it does not occur in games or when the GPU is under stress. I'm hoping this is something that can be fixed in a future driver, but I'd like to know if this is a hardware issue so I can get an RMA going as soon as possible.
  • Hardware:
    • Graphics card: Radeon VII (purchased directly from AMD)
    • CPU: Ryzen R7 1700
    • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero (WI-FI) X470
    • RAM: 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200 MHz CL14
    • PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W G2
    • Monitor 1: Acer XG270HU 1440p 144 Hz freesync enabled
    • Monitor 2: HP 21KD 1080p 60 Hz
  • Software:
    • Windows 10 64 bit 
    • Latest graphics driver 19.2.2
    • Latest UEFI BIOS from AMD flashed
    • Latest motherboard BIOS version 1201
244 Replies
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

What build of Windows 10 do  you have installed? If you haven't updated to 1809 yet, please do so since our drivers are qualified against the latest build.

Can you also try doing a clean install after updating to the latest build ?

Thanks for the reply! I have been running version 1809. That's the version I've been experiencing this issue in. 

dondzila6080
Journeyman III

Hi I would like to add that I seem to be having a similar issue. I did a full reinstall of windows and ran DDU then reinstalled the drivers. The issue does not occur as often after the windows reinstall but it still happens from time to time. I have yet to see screen tearing or a bad flicker in games that are similar to what I see when just browsing. 

Hardware

• CPU: Intel I7 - 6700k
  • Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M7
  • Graphics Card: Powercolor Radeon VII purchased through microcenter
  • Ram: 16GB 2400Mhz
  • PSU: Corsair AX860
  • Primary monitor: Asus MG278uq
  • Secondary Acer GN246HL

Software

• windows 10 64bit version 1809
  • AMD driver 19.2.2
  • UEFI bios flashed

Update: 03/02/2019

My issue seems to have gone away with the 19.2.3 drivers. After 2 full days of being on my PC I have not noticed the constant screen tearing / flickering that I was previously. Also I did not see this fix in the update notes. 

kirurus
Adept I

I have also been experiencing this issue. It is not very noticeable and happens very intermittently as has been mentioned. Have not yet noticed the issue in 3D applications. 

Hardware

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700X
  • Motherboard: ASRock X370 Gaming-X
  • Graphics Card: XFX Radeon VII
  • Ram: 16GB 2800Mhz
  • PSU: EVGA 850 G+
  • Primary monitor: Acer KG271U Abmiipx
  • Secondary AOC 2269W

Software

• AMD driver 19.2.2
  • UEFI BIOS v106 from AMD not flashed
  • Motherboard BIOS v5.20
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

Thank you for the detailed information you provided, it is very helpful.

We're looking into this issue.

Thanks ray_m! Just to be clear, this is not a hardware issue, and an RMA would not fix the issue? We would have to wait for a driver update once the issue is resolved?

It doesn't look like a hardware issue.

ray_m: More debugging info if required, including DxDiag logs in email support ticketno:[8200866341]

Good luck

shinkojiro
Miniboss

I also have intermittent screen tearing and flickering with while using 2 monitors (both different resolutions, 1440p and UW 1440p)

• Hardware:
    • Graphics card: Radeon VII (purchased directly from AMD)
    • CPU: Threadripper 1950x
    • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399
    • RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14Q-64GVK
    • PSU: EVGA Supernova 1600w G2
    • Monitor 1: Samsung G32HG7x Freesync Ultimate mode 144hz Display port
    • Monitor 2: Samsung CF791 Freesync Ultimate mode 100hz Display port
  • Software:
    • Windows 10 64 bit  1803 (havent been given an update option
    • Latest graphics driver 19.2.2
    • Latest motherboard BIOS version 1601
1meter60-film
Journeyman III

Hello togther,

I can confirm that I have the same issues. I'm working with Davinci Resolve Studio (in Full Screen mode)  with a two monitor setup.

The problems occurs on my big UHD monitor, which is not the main monitor under windows, but the main monitor in Davinci Resolve (you can choose in Resolve, which monitor is primary display).

The problem does not occur at the beginning. I work sometimes for round about 4 hours with no problems. And than suddenly this behavior begin. And I did not very GPU intensive stuff. I worked on Subtitles which does not challenge the GPU. 

I will test, if this flickering stuff will change to the other monitor, when I change the primary Display inside Resolve.

My System is:

Hardware

• CPU: Intel I7 - 8700k
  • Motherboard: ASUS RIG STRIX Z370-E Gaming 
  • Graphics Card: Gigabyte Radeon VII 
  • Ram: 32GB
  • Resolve-Primary monitor: Samsung UE55KS7090 (UHD TV) over the HDMI out in UHD 50p, RGB, 8bit Full range.
  • Resolve-Secondary monitor: Standard HD Display LG 24MB56, in HD 50p, 8bit, full range.

Software

• AMD driver 19.2.2
  • GPU bios flashed with V106

With the Bios Version before v106 I encountered also one system Reboot when working with Resolve, after this flickerings occure. But I'm not shure, if this connects.

Because I had also two unexpected crashes from Resolve when I was rendering the finished film. I will check, if the new BIOS Version will help in this regard. 

ulysses_mcgill
Journeyman III

Hi, I'm having similar issues to those listed above. I'm using an AORUS AD27QD-EK 27" 144Hz QHD IPS as my main monitor through DisplayPort and a Samsung NU8000 UHDTV connected by HDMI. All drivers are up to date, as is  Windows 10. When I have my TV plugged in, both screens flicker at different times with the audio cutting out, yet when I unplug the HDMI cable connecting the GPU to the TV it goes back to normal. I've tried different cables on both but still get the same issue. Had my old rig handy which used a GTX 970 and worked fine, so I'm assuming the issue is with the Radeon VII. When I switch my main monitor from 144hz down to 120 it seems to work okay. As someone mentioned earlier I'm guessing this is because with the TV receiving a 60Hz signal the card is working with a multiple of two and can handle the variation.

Also when the screen flickers the cursor resets position to centre of the screen. Eventually if I don't interfere the screens on both go black and I have to reboot. Could this be a problem with the build in general?

My spec is: 

EVGA SuperNova G3 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply 1
In-Win 805 Aluminium Midi-Tower Case - Red 1
BitFenix Alchemy 2.0 Magnetic Connect 15 LED-Strip 30cm - Red 1
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight Core/Sixteen Thread 4.35GHz Processor (MPK) 1
MSI Radeon RX VEGA VII 16GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card 1
Samsung 2TB 860 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 64 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-76E 21T0B/EU)
Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - *System Stock* 1
Raijintek Themis Black Heatpipe CPU Cooler PWM - 120mm 1
Raijintek AM4 Mounting Kit 1
MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon AMD X470 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard 1

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Blac k1 (CMK16GX4M2B30
Microsoft Windows 10 Professional - Systems

arthurjledoux
Journeyman III

I too am having flickering and screen tearing issues when using multiple monitors. I usually have three connected but can verify I'm seeing this with any mixture of two of them as well. This only occurs on the main monitor while web browsing or just sitting at the desktop. This does not occur while playing games in full screen or windowed mode.

• Hardware:
    • Graphics card: Radeon VII (purchased directly from AMD)
    • CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
    • Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4
    • RAM: G.SKILL Trident RGB 32 GB (4x8 GB) DDR4 3200 - Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GTZR
    • PSU: Corsair CXM 750 W
    • Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q - No Freesync - 60 Hz -Display Port
    • Monitor 2: Acer XF270HU - Freesync - 144 Hz - Display Port
    • Monitor 3: Acer G246HL - No Freesync - 60 Hz - DVI to HDMI
  • Software:
    • Windows 10 64 bit  1809
    • Graphics driver 19.2.2
    • Motherboard BIOS version 2u.00 - AGESA 1.0.0.6

EDIT: I upgraded to 19.3.1 and am still experiencing this issue. I did an in place update and also a clean install with DDU.

paulchenp
Adept I

Then I'm gonna join in, got the issues as well...

• Hardware:
    • Graphics card: Radeon VII (XMX, bought used for cheap, so it may also have some kind of damage)
    • CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 (currently at 3,8GHz, but happens without OC as well)
    • Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming
    • RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 2666 MHz (currently at 2800MHz, but tried resetting that as well)
    • PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 10, 500W, 80+ Gold
    • Monitor 1: AOC C3583FQ, 2560x1080, Freesync, 160 Hz, Displayport
    • Monitor 2: some crappy old SyncMaster, 1280x1024, no Freesync, 75 Hz, DVI-D to HDMI cable
  • Software:
    • Windows 10 64 bit 1809
    • Graphics driver 19.2.3 (happened with 19.2.2 as well)
    • GPU bios V106, but happened before as well
    • Motherboard bios version P5.10 (Date in CPU-z shows 4 days earlier the release date on the manufacturer website?)

So crazy thing (theoretically got that on 10-15 minute mobile video as well): I randomly scrolled through some threads (Opera Browser), and the flickering would occur, and when stopping at a specific positon on the page without any moving images, the flickering then happend about every 5-15 seconds (continued to watch this several minutes!). Minimizing the browser, or focussing another window on top seems to make it not appear anymore at that speed.

I made a screenshot of that what was being displayed. When I view the screenshot now at fullscreen (even a day later after shutdown) the flickering again happens every 5-15 seconds, and sometimes even spreads to the second screen! (when continuing to flicker for some mintues or so)

• Unplugging the second monitor instantly resolves the issue.
  • Switching primary display does not
  • Turning down the second screen refresh rate to 60 Hz makes it occur less often, but still happens with the image being displayed (around 1 minute wait time)
  • Turning down first screen refresh rate to 144 or 60 Hz also makes it occur less often

Result: For the flickering seems do depend on the current image being displayed on the primary screen, but sometimes still there is randomly a flicker even at the desktop

Everything tested only at Idle, never seen any flickering in a game (until now)

revolutionpt
Journeyman III

I can verify that I have the same issues. 

The problems occur on my big UHD monitor, which is not the main monitor under windows, but the main monitor in Davinci Resolve (you can choose in Resolve, which monitor is primary display).

The problem does not occur at the beginning. I work sometimes for round about 4 hours with no problems. And then suddenly this behaviour begins. And I did not very GPU intensive stuff. I worked on Subtitles which does not challenge the GPU. 

I will test if this flickering stuff will change to the other monitor when I change the primary Display inside Resolve.

My System is:

Hardware

• CPU: Intel I7 - 8700k
  • Motherboard: ASUS RIG STRIX Z370-E Gaming 
  • Graphics Card: Gigabyte Radeon VII 
  • Ram: 32GB
  • Resolve-Primary monitor: Samsung UE55KS7090 (UHD TV) over the HDMI out in UHD 50p, RGB, 8bit Full range.
  • Resolve-Secondary monitor: Standard HD Display LG 24MB56, in HD 50p, 8bit, full range.

Software

• AMD driver 19.2.2
  • GPU bios flashed with V106

With the Bios Version before v106, I encountered also one system Reboot when working with Resolve, after this flickering occurs. But I'm not sure if this connects.

Because I had also two unexpected crashes from Resolve when I was rendering the finished film. I will check if the new BIOS Version will help in this regard. 

shinkojiro
Miniboss

Also, I didn't mention but this screen tearing and flickering occurs even when just on the desktop, nothing running but windows.

haste
Journeyman III

I have the same problem. Flickering on the desktop and in games. New firmware 19.3.1 was just released and installed and I have not seen a flicker so maybe its fixed? I will monitor threw out the day and report back. Would be nice to know if 19.3.1 helped anyone else?

I just installed 19.3.1 also. I'll test more tomorrow.

Edit: My flickering still persists with this driver too.

Yo, I'm having the exact same issues with a dual monitor setup( 1st Monitor 1440p Acer XF270HU, 2nd generic 1280x1024 DVI). Drivers 19.3.1 have NOT fixed the problem, running DDU and reinstalling have not fixed it either. 

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz 28 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1599MHz (16-18-18-36)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z170X-Gaming 7 (U3E1) 32 °C
Graphics
Acer XF270HU (2560x1440@144Hz)
FPD1760 (1280x1024@60Hz)
16368MB ATI AMD Radeon VII (ATI) 32 °C
Storage
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (SATA ) 25 °C
465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB (SATA (SSD)) 34 °C
931GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB (SATA (SSD)) 23 °C
29GB Generic- SD/MMC USB Device (USB )
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 F
Audio
Steam Streaming Speakers

This isn't just the Radeon VII. I have a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ and I get these weird artifacts and flickers as well. It seems to coincide with watching or having watched a video in a web browser. It happens with both Firefox and Chrome. Turning hardware acceleration on or off makes no difference. It seems to be a bit better in driver 19.3.1, 19.2.3 was terrible. I never had this issue with previous drivers. All games work fine with no glitches.

Windows 10 1809 / 19.3.1 drivers

Intel i7 4790k / 8GB DDR3 2133 / MSi Z97A Gaming 6 / Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ - everything stock

Monitor 1 : Alienware AW2518HF - 240Hz w/ FreeSync 1080p

Monitor 2: HP2511x - 60Hz 1080p

conker2009
Adept I

Same here on my build. I'm running an outdated mobo & CPU but can confirm I'm getting the screen flickering and artifacts. Newest update not working as well. Will not mess with the settings for overclocking as it was known to brick Vii's. Updated to latest bios as well.

i7 4790k / 32GB DDR3 2133 / Asrock Fatal1ty / AMD Radeon Vii

Monitor 1: Acer XG270HU
Monitor 2: BenQ GW2450 (Connected with DVI)

silezn
Journeyman III

Same here on my Vega 56 Pulse, only appears while browsing or being on desktop sometimes.

All drivers are up²date.

Hardware

• CPU: 6600k
  • Motherboard: ASRock z170 pro 4
  • Graphics Card: Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse
  • Ram: DDR4 16GB 2600Mhz cl13
  • PSU: Corsair CX600
  • Primary monitor: Acer Predator XB240H (via DP)
  • Secondary monitor: Acer S242HLDBID (via HDMI)
  • Storage: 2x 250GB SSD's (Samsung and Sandisk)

Software

• windows 10 Pro 64bit (version 1809)
  • AMD driver: 19.3.2
  • Vega Bios: 016.001.001.000.000000 (nothing changed)
  • Motherboard Bios: 7.50 (it's the newest)

marwyn
Journeyman III

I just got new Radeon VII and have the same issue.

CPU: AMD Ryzen TR 2950X

Motherboard: Asrock X399 Taichi

Graphics: Saphire Radeon VII

Ram: DDR4 4x16GB 2400MHz cl15

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000W

Drives: Samsung SSD 970 Pro (NVMe), 2x Samsung MZVPV256 (NVMe), 5x Samsung SATA SSD drive

Primary monitor: LG 43UD79-B (via 38Gbit DP cable)

Secondary monitor: I tried several types via DP or HDMI and it does not matter, the flickering on primary monitor is always present when secondary monitor is connected

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (version 1809, OS build 17763.195)

AMD driver: 19.3.2

Vega BIOS Version 016.004.000.038 Date 2019/02/11 14:18

Motherboard Bios: 3.30

shadowrulerx
Adept II

I am having the same issue, when im on my desktop i have these occasional strange flicker of black lines in the upper half of my screen. Ive tested my gpu in heaven and superposition and its stable but im worried it might have some faulty part. I also have two monitors. My specs are:

Ryzen 7 1700x 

16gb ram 2933mhz

Radeon VII

im using a 1080p 144hz monitor with freesync for my main

and a samsung tv for my second one

im using an asus prime x370-pro mobo

And the issue persists on 19.3.2. I'm throwing in the towel on Andrenalin 2019 for now and going back to 18.12.1. I'll give it another go if I see that this issue has been fixed.

ryannathans
Adept II

I have exactly the same problem! Seems to occur a lot more when I open my RSS reader (FeedBro firefox addon) which has a black themed background and on websites with lots of black/dark colours - or maybe it's just more noticeable when the page is dark? Either way, gaming is absolutely fine.

i7 3770k
16GB RAM 1600MHz

Asus Formula V Maximus Motherboard

Radeon VII (19.1.1 -> 19.3.2)

Primary display Asus XG32VQ (DP)
Secondary Display BenQ G2420HD (HDMI)

I have been troubleshooting this with Kumar (AMD support) via email with no success. (ticketno:[8200866341])

ryannathans
Adept II

If you have this issue can you please test the following: set the high framerate monitor to 60Hz instead of 144Hz and see if the issue still occurs?

Seems to work for me (or maybe just a coincidence), but very annoying to keep changing monitor refresh rate.

60Hz.png

0 Likes

Yeah the issues go away when I set my primary to 60Hz to match my secondary. Conker2009's fix is more optimal for me though. I can just leave my monitor at 120Hz until this gets fixed.

0 Likes

Slightly off topic, but where did you get the UEFI firmware? 

0 Likes

0 Likes
conker2009
Adept I

Hey all,

I wanted to give you all an update. I've been in contact with someone at AMD and have submitted a video with what was going on with my 7. I discovered it happened if you have a resolution that either isn't the exact same as your other monitor or the refresh rate isn't a multiple of 60. I was able to eliminate the flicker by using the virtual res to 2k for my 1080p monitor and setting my main to 120hz and it eliminated it. See if this works for you. They are looking into this and has been escalated to their engineering team.

Hope this helps some of you!

Unfortunately, that's not always the case. Both of my screens are 1080p, main is 240Hz, secondary is 60Hz. I went back to 18.12.1.1, problem is gone. I don't know what exactly they did with Adrenalin 2019, but every version has had some annoying issue that forced me to roll back, this artifacting being the worst.

This works as a temporary fix for me. Thanks! I had tried setting my primary monitor's refresh rate to 120 before, but still had the issues. I hadn't tried using VSR to match resolutions though. It's good to know the engineering team is working on a fix.

0 Likes

After trying out the custom resolution window for one or two days (the setup was really more try and error than I thought) I can agree with that. My setup turned from 160hz + 75hz with much flicker to 150hz + 75hz with hardly any flickering ! (didnt change the resolutions, only the refresh rate on the primary screen)
Even though I still think to have seen some artifacts sometimes in a long browsing session (so it is no complete fix, but a pretty usable result).

0 Likes

Well, I can live with 120hz on main monitor and 60hz on secondary monitor until they fix it in the drivers.

Ive had many of the same issues but with only a single 1440p 144hz monitor, black screen/no signal, hang ups, often recovering fine like nothing happened afterwards or requiring hard resets, none of the fixes suggested worked for me, but the new bios amd released fixed a huge amount of my problems i was having with my radeon vii. 

Though im not sure if 100% there as having occasional white/black lines/bars appear for a milisecond on screen semi frequently, but in game its been flawless now.

I actually have a VII from AMD that was in their test center to test various settings. I provided them with videos and feedback. Also let them know 19.3.3 doesn't fox the issue. Engineering is setting up more test beds to help them see the issue and they are working on it so hopefully, we won't have a long wait.

conker2009
Adept I

Hey all,

I just got off the phone with a engineer from AMD about this very issue. They were able to reproduce the issue and there's a big push to fix the issue. They're still looking into root cause but looking to get a fix out to us ASAP. They were able to reproduce the issue using an active DP-DVI but we could look at trying a passive DP-DVI adapter. That's not saying that that is the issue, just something to potentially look at. I'll be looking at mine later tonight just to see what mine is doing. 

Thank you all for your patience with this and I have full faith that AMD is working hard to resolve this. They've seen this thread and want to take care of this asap. Have a great weekend everyone!

You got any updates?

0 Likes
colebob222
Adept I

I've noticed the same issues using either an active DP to DVI adapter, or a passive HDMI to DVI adapter on the same secondary monitor. I've also had the issues using a TV as my secondary monitor with direct HDMI connection and no adapter, so I'm not confident the issue has to do with adapters in particular. Good to hear an update from engineering though, thanks!

0 Likes