cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

spartandestroyr
Journeyman III

Radeon software showing random spikes to 99% usage 6700 xt

I have rx 6700 xt qick by xfx paired with a ryzen 9 3950x and since yesterday (1/3/2022) Radeon software has been showing random spikes to 99% usage of the gpu and 60% usage on the cpu. I've tried searching through task manager to see what could be causing it but task manager isnt showing the spikes. I can't even play games cause the gpu maxes out and the games just drop fps. 

0 Likes
3 Replies
amdman
Challenger

The first thing to try, use AMD Cleanup Utility or DDU in safe mode. Then reboot and install the latest drivers. If you already tried that look more into a hardware, or possibly Windows problem.

0 Likes
DeganRodd
Journeyman III

If you can find what this is I will kiss you. Ive been chasing this same problem for months now, ever since I upgraded to a ASUS X570. 99% usage and power and clock spikes every 20 or so seconds. Tried troubleshooting RAM, CPU, Drivers, fTPM the list goes on.

0 Likes

Please post your complete system specifications including power supply. Try uninstalling the AMD Chipset drivers, then use DDU to remove chipset and graphics drivers, then reboot and install the latest versions.

Here is an excellent list for troubleshooting by @ThreeDee:

Make sure your motherboards BIOS is up to date

Make sure you have the latest AM4 Chipset drivers installed from AMD.com

Make sure you are running separate power cables to each power input on your GPU

Make sure you have latest GPU drivers installed from AMD.com

Make sure your Windows install is up to date

What speed is your system RAM running at? (Task Manager>Performance>Memory)

IF your RAM is running faster than 3200 speeds .. is your fclk (infinity fabric) set to 1:1?

Make sure Surface Format Optimization is unchecked in Radeon settings .. you might want to play with other settings in your Radeon settings as well

Are you overclocking anything?

How are your CPU/GPU temps?

How is the airflow in your case? You have to keep your VRM's and memory cool too

What case?

What motherboard? BIOS up to date?

How is the air flow in your case?

How are you cooling your CPU?

Are you running any modded PSU cables? .. PCIe Riser cable?

0 Likes