Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

joshimck
Adept I

Radeon 7900 xtx crashes in certain games

Hello!

I recently built my pc and have only played a handful of games, and in some of them, the game crashes.

1. Destiny 2 - Crashes after 5-10 minutes
  2. Valorant - Runs just fine
  3. Halo Infinite - Crashes after 5 - 10 minutes

My set up includes

1. Ryzen 7800 x3d
  2. Radeon 7900 xtx
  3. MAG MSI B650 Tomohawk motherboard
  4. 2 sticks of 16GB 6000MHZ RAM 
  5. Corsair 1000W PSU
  6. Running windows 11

I have re seated the GPU and uninstalled drivers and reinstalled drivers to try and fix the issue but to no avail. 

The temps also seem to be running just fine as I have monitored them before crashes.

Any idea as to what could be the problem?

Appreciate the help!

Thanks!!

0 Likes
1 Solution
radu1006
Adept III

The driver is the problem. You can check the post with the latest driver release notes.

If you want a stable driver, install 23.12.1 (make sure to use DDU  to remove the current driver).

View solution in original post

7 Replies
radu1006
Adept III

The driver is the problem. You can check the post with the latest driver release notes.

If you want a stable driver, install 23.12.1 (make sure to use DDU  to remove the current driver).

I'll try to redownload that driver you listed! Out of curiosity, why wouldn't the most recent version of driver be the best?

0 Likes

New drivers often introduce new features. New features introduce new bugs.

i should have accepted this as the solution because it allowed me to play crash free since reverting to that driver! Sadly, as I got on today it said my gpu was no longer compatible with that driver and had me update it. I attempted to reinstall the driver that worked but again it said my 7900xtx didn’t support it. I updated to the most recent driver and already I have had two crashes! Any insights? Thanks again for your help up to this point! It has been appreciated!

0 Likes

Glad you were able to enjoy some crash free time.

Where did you see the message regarding the driver incompatibility? Adrenalin? Windows? A game?

It's surprising to me that AMD would prevent you from installing 23.12.1 or any old version of the GPU drivers made for that card and force you to upgrade. Did the Adrenalin installer itself say it's no longer compatible and prevent you from installing?

If you are unable to install a previous driver version, you can try disabling the Adrenalin Overlay and Toast Notifications. If that doesn't work, try selecting the "Minimal Install" and retesting or the "Driver Only Install" and retesting. "Driver-only" is the nuclear option in my view as you lose the Adrenalin features.

As always, use DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility in Safe Mode to uninstall the current driver before reinstalling.

0 Likes
IndigoOwnage
Journeyman III

@joshimck Try lowering the Core Frequency/Power Limit to make sure it's the drivers problem and not GPU itself.

Also try connecting the GPU with 3 separate 8 Pin connectors, if possible, 1 connector - 1 cable.

0 Likes
432hz
Challenger

• I had issues with the 24.x.x version drivers with Resizable BAR. Disabling Resizable BAR in BIOS and rolling back to 23.12.1 helped me.
  • Is your RAM kit on your mobo's QVL list?
  • Have you tried disabling EXPO / XMP?
  • Have you tried disabling MPO? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw_xv1Id6UM
  • Latest AMD chipset drivers installed?
  • Latest non-beta BIOS installed?

0 Likes