cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

Radeon 780M Graphics crash when open video file/watch Netflix

Hi all,

I'm using AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS with Radeon 780M Graphics. It just happen a few days ago to me and I dont know why, but now when I open a video file in computer or watch Netflix sometimes the screen froze, or the file play with only sound, sometime screen blackout a few secs.

I tried update drivers to 24.2.1 / roll back to 23.12.1 and nothing work.

I tried Disable RadeonT 780M in Device Manager, then I can open video file normally but can not connect to 2nd monitor.

Please help.

Regards.

7 Replies

help

leducanhctn
Journeyman III

Most likely you encounter the Multiplane Overlay MPO error
Have you tried turning off the "Multiplane Overlay" (MPO) in windows registry?
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
"OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005

0 Likes

I have the same issue and setting this mode in registry didn't help unfortunately

0 Likes
CZEMacLeod
Journeyman III

Did you ever get any further in fixing this?

I have the same issue.

Netflix stops decoding video after 30s or so. If I disable the 780M and just leave the 7700S enabled, it plays fine.

0 Likes
lucyvictoria
Adept I

It sounds like your Radeon 780M GPU might be having driver issues. Since updating and rolling back drivers didn't help, try these steps:

• Clean Driver Installation: Use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to completely remove the current driver, then reinstall the latest AMD driver.
  • Check for Windows Updates: Ensure your system is fully updated.
  • Adjust Power Settings: Set your power plan to "High Performance" in Windows.
  • Hardware Acceleration: Disable hardware acceleration in your browser and video players to see if it resolves the issue.

If the problem persists, it might be a hardware issue, so consider contacting AMD support.

0 Likes

Hi all, sorry to here that you have the same problems.

I tried everything and nothing worked, so I chose the ultimate solution, sold it and get a new one a long time ago.

Looks like still many people having this issue

0 Likes
goldbixi
Journeyman III

I’ve been use Acer Nitro 16 r7 7840hs radeon 780m. In all videos, there are problems like yours, such as the screen going black and not being able to play the video. I think this is not a driver error but a hardware error. Because the device I have been using for 5 months suddenly stopped playing videos without any updates.

0 Likes