cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

PSVR2 on PC via official Sony Adapter No 90hz Mode in SteamVR latest Beta Issue on AMD Cards only

Hello AMD Support Team,

i want to say there is an issue that seem to affect the AMD Graphics Cards only. In SteamVR there is no setting to switch the DisplayMode of the PSVR2 Headset to 90hz. I am not quite sure if it's the problem of SteamVR itself or it's because the Graphics Driver. Other brands of GPU's has the option to switch the Display Mode to 90hz in SteamVR for PSVR2. But only 120hz is currently working. I would be very happy if somebody of the AMD Developers can have look at the issue and make the 90hz Mode also working on their GPUs. But as i said i am not quite sure if it's a problem of AMD or rather SteamVR but in any case i will write them also.

Have a nice day!

24 Replies

Might be a Sony Play station  VR Headset issue more than a SteamVR or AMD issue.

Do you have the correct cable to run your Playstation VR on 90Hz to your PC?

Does your game have a 90Hz option to set in its menu?

According to this Play Station VR2 Blog Sony offered an Adapter to connected to your PC to be able to run SteamVR games: https://blog.playstation.com/2024/06/03/playstation-vr2-players-can-access-games-on-pc-with-adapter-...

Does your PC have the minimum System requirements for the Sony Adapter:

Screenshot 2024-08-09 140111.png

I bet the problem is with the new Sony Adapter to the PC to run SteamVR games since it just came out recently.

Therefore, I would Contact Sony Play Station Support to find out if the adapter supports 90hz and how to set it to run at 90Hz on your Sony VR Headset.

0 Likes

The adapter supports 90Hz, other Nvidia users have confirmed it. Some AMD users also report being able to see the 90Hz, although I've been seeing more who report not seeing it. It might be an issue with how SteamVR interacts with the AMD drivers

Thanks for the update.

I was going for the most logical reason since adapters may have certain limitations to them.

"although I've been seeing more who report not seeing it" using Sony Play Station VR Headset or using other 3rd party VR Headsets?

If only with Sony VR Headset than it probably is a Sony issue. Possibly the AMD Driver is not fully compatible with the Play Station VR headset.

If with other 3rd party VR Headsets like Oculus E.G. than it is an issue with AMD Driver or SteamVR issue.

You can open a AMD SUPPORT Ticket and see what they suggest from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

0 Likes

Thanks for the link, I’ve submitted a ticket. With all the factors at play its probably either an AMD driver issue, SteamVR software issue, or a PlaystationVR 2 on PC driver issue, so its worth asking all possible support channels

I have bought a display port 2.1 cable with 0,5meters to connect it from the adapter to the pc, and yes i have a 7900xtx 32gb of ddr4 3200 ram and an intel 13600k. i have written also in the steamvr diskussion thread on steam yesterday. i will also write in the diskussion thread of the playstation vr 2 app for steamvr. i am not quite sure who can fix this issue. currently for me there is only 120hz in steamvr selectable. Funny thing is if play a game and lets say try to limit the frame rate via steamvr the biggest option is 90fps not 120fps in which mode this headset is in. i played with the valve index before on 90hz.

Anyway Greetings to you guys.

I don't have a fix for missing 90hz (hopefully this gets fixed by Sony/AMD very soon)

But I do know how to get frame throttling to correctly show 120hz options.

In the steamvr.vrsettings file, in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config, at the bottom of the page below the "steamvr" section, paste

"preferredRefreshRate" : 120,

and now frame throttling will show the correct values

After following @thwomp advise to correct the Frequency to show from 90hz to 120hz in games, see if you now the option to select 90hz at SteamVR.

It is possible that the headset is set at 90Hz already which is why the option never showed up to enable it. But if you correct it to show the correct Frequency at 120hz maybe the 90hz option will new be available.

Possibly a configuration issue with SteamVR.

Just taking a stab from the new information provided by the other User.

0 Likes

@elstaci wrote:

It is possible that the headset is set at 90Hz already which is why the option never showed up to enable it. But if you correct it to show the correct Frequency at 120hz maybe the 90hz option will new be available.

No, I've already experimented with all that, changing various lines in the steamvr.vrsettings file

The 90hz problem goes deeper. It's probably an EDID detection issue of some kind. Where either our AMD drivers don't see that the PSVR2 can take 90hz input, or the PSVR2 driver doesn't see that the AMD card can output 90hz

And our PVR2's are definitely outputting real 120hz. You can open up SteamVR frame time graphs and see that the rendering time is 8.3ms. Once it goes over 8.3ms you will see stutter, like with any 120hz non-freesync display

Thanks for the clarification and update.

If it only affects Sony VR Headset than it is a Sony issue more than a AMD driver issue but if it also affects other 3rd party VR headsets than it could be a AMD driver or SteamVR driver issue.

0 Likes

Then why doesn't affect Nvidia cards?

I know you're an "MVP" but you don't need to waste your time defending the honor of a multi-billion dollar international company. Let's all just be open minded and try to figure out what the root issue is

0 Likes

"MVP" just means that I have participated a certain amount of time and accumulated certain amount of badges at AMD Forums. Nothing else.

You are correct if it is true that it doesn't affect Nvidia GPU cards but only AMD GPU cards then there is some issue between AMD GPU driver and Sony's PC Adapter.

Truthfully this is the first time I am aware that Sony has a VR Headset so I am just learning from the other User's inputs about the issue.

In that case the best thing for you to do is open a Sony Support Ticket and a AMD Support ticket.

The more Support tickets that are opened by Users the more likely Sony and AMD will try to fix the issue.

AMD Support must first replicate the issue and then find a fix.  So if  many Sony Users are complaining and opening Support tickets with both Sony and AMD Support most likely Sony and AMD well be aware of the problem.

Have you open a Sony Support ticket and asked them if there are any issues with AMD drivers for the Sony adapter for the PC  by any chance?

EDIT: According to his tech site Sony updated the Sony VR Headset Firmware this year to be compatible with Nvidia GPU cards: https://www.roadtovr.com/report-psvr-2-wired-pc-vr-support/

Update (March 25th, 2024): iVRy, the leading third-party project dedicated to bringing unofficial PC VR support to PSVR 2, announced on X the headset’s latest firmware update seems to show that Sony is indeed enabling support for NVIDIA GPUs ahead of its own official solution for PC VR. Previously the headset only supported AMD graphics since that’s what is built into PS5 consoles.

It remains to be see what sort of hardware adapters will be required however, and whether they will be provided directly by Sony or not.

This further suggests Sony is fully untangling PSVR 2 from PS5 by letting users directly plug their headsets into a PC, and not offering a dedicated streaming solution, which would otherwise need both the console and PC to do. The original article detailing the firmware update follows below:

Maybe Sony needs to do another Firmware update on the Sony VR Headset to fix the 90hz issue with AMD GPU cards.

NOTE: I would try previous AMD Drivers to see an older version fixes the issue. The latest AMD driver seems to be somewhat buggy 24.7.1 version.

0 Likes

Could it be an issue with AMD drivers not properly detecting the supported resolutions? Custom Resolution Utility reports both 90Hz and 120Hz modes

Wontorres_0-1723362822056.png

I do believe it could likely be a problem with EDID reading on AMD cards. It's not the first time I've had problems with AMD not allowing all the resolution in the EDID, or ignoring changes made in CRU

0 Likes
Pooyan1
Journeyman III

Just wanted to chime in here too. I'm using a 7800 xt. Also locked to 120hz. can confirm on a 3080 both 90 and 120 are available.

hope amd sorts this out soon

Kniaz
Journeyman III

I got 7900XTX and I only have 120HZ available. This makes the PSVR2 unusable for AMD users.

AMD, can you please fix this. Nvidia seems to support both 120 and 90 mode. 

0 Likes
Wontorres
Journeyman III

I also tried the unofficial iVRy drivers for PSVR2, and while it has a built-in 90Hz setting, enabling it doesn't actually do anything (headset stays at 90Hz). So that kind of rules out the PSVR2 on PC driver.

The 90Hz switch shows up for Nvidia users and also the Custom Resolution Utility, so that also maybe rules out the adapter hardware itself.

Unless I'm missing another point of troubleshooting, it's probably something to do with the AMD hardware/drivers. Both PlayStation and Steam support told me to go to AMD Support for help, so even they're both pointing fingers at AMD.

0 Likes
Kniaz
Journeyman III

I may have found the answer to play ACC on PSVR2 decently.

In SteamVR:

1. Run the GPU performance graph from the Developer tab

2. Set Field of view to 50% (yeah, not the best but it improved the quality drastically). 

It starts at 120hz by default, which is equal to 8.3ms. I'm on 7900XTX, and I tried to set ACC to High settings on everything, with FSR on Balanced mode. I'm getting 10ms, which is 100hz. In this mode, it looks pretty smooth and visibly sharp enough. 

You don't have to keep it under 8.3ms; you can push it between 10-12ms. If you go more than this, it doesn't look smooth. So basically, ignore the 120hz setting and push above 8.3ms. 

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

I was wondering if you (or other users in this discussion which see this) could send us some diagnostic data to help us investigate this issue? Could you please try the following:

Hit Win + R to prompt the Run dialog and type the following command

dispdiag -out %userprofile%\Desktop\dispdiag.dat

This will generate a file called dispdiag.dat on your desktop. Could you please send that file to me via DM using a service like https://send.vis.ee/ (or whatever you'd prefer)?

I appreciate it. 

i turned on the psvr2 headset but didn't run steamvr, then i made the dispdiag.dat. Here is the link

Download Dispdiag.dat via send.vis

Screenshot 2024-08-13 220849.png

So On my 7900XTX this is what is read from the sony psvr 2

Screenshot 2024-08-13 221849.jpgScreenshot 2024-08-13 221922.jpg

In the TypeID Menu under DisplayID 1.3 and 2.0 there is nothing listed unlike how is that what Wontorres posted under the section

0 Likes

Hi, I have 7900xtx and PSVR2 and I can't change refresh rate neither. It is stuck at 120hz. I will send you my files

0 Likes

How can I DM you?

0 Likes

You should be able to now, please check again.

Jeyopo
Newcomer

Hello, just to say that I have also 120hz locked and I use 7900 gre.

0 Likes