Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

backFireX64
Forerunner

Preview Driver for AFMF 2

Preview Driver Introduction

Welcome to the latest AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition Preview Driver, featuring new technologies and updates currently under development, including the groundbreaking AMD Fluid Motion Frames (AFMF) 2—a major advancement in frame generation technology. Explore the innovations in this driver by reading our blog HERE.

Important Notes

This preview driver offers an early look at upcoming features. We encourage you to provide feedback through the AMD Bug Report Tool. If any persistent issues occur while using the preview driver, please use the AMD Auto-Detect and Install Tool to revert to the latest recommended version of AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition.

New Feature Highlights

• AFMF 2 Technical Preview – A major advancement in frame generation technology for AMD HYPR-RX
    • Lower Latency and Higher Performance
      • AFMF 2 enhances fast-paced gaming by significantly reducing frame-generation latency and performance scaling through new modes.
    • Fast Motion Optimization 
      • Enjoy smoother gameplay and higher FPS with improved frame generation consistency during fast motion.
    • Improved Borderless-Fullscreen Support
      • Expanded display mode support for RDNA 3 series graphics products ensures compatibility with virtually all borderless-fullscreen games.
    • Expanded API Support 
      • Enable AFMF 2 for any OpenGLNEW, VulkanNEW, DirectX® 11, and 12 titles.
    • Radeon™ Chill Interop Support
      • AFMF 2 now supports Radeon™ Chill, providing a low latency FPS capping option.

What to Know?

AFMF is a state-of-the-art frame generation technology exclusive to AMD. It enhances frame rates and gameplay smoothness and is integrated into AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™. As part of AMD HYPR-RX, our one-click performance solution, it delivers exceptional gaming experiences on AMD Radeon graphics cards.

How to Enable

• AFMF 2 can be enabled for any OpenGLNEW, VulkanNEW, DirectX® 11, and 12 title using HYPR-RX or the AMD Fluid Motion 2 Toggle.
    • AFMF 2 currently requires the game to be played in exclusive or borderless fullscreen mode with V-SYNC disabled.
      • For a better visual experience, use AFMF 2 with a variable refresh rate-enabled display.
        • Enabling Radeon™ Chill after AFMF will automatically set the FPS cap to reduce tearing.
      • Use the in-game overlay (ALT+R) in AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ to check AFMF’s frame generation status.
    • AFMF 2 adds frame generation technology to boost FPS outside the game’s engine. Users can enable the AMD Software Performance Metrics Overlay to see the resulting FPS.

How to Optimize

• AFMF 2 introduces new modes that are automatically tuned for the best experience based on your configuration. These can be manually adjusted to your preferences if needed
    • AFMF 2 adds a new “High” Search Mode setting for improved frame consistency during fast motion, enabled by default for resolutions of 2560x1440 and above.
      • This reduces the jittering or stuttering encountered with AFMF 1 at higher resolutions.
    • AFMF 2 adds a new Performance Mode setting to reduce frame-generation overhead, enabled as “Performance” by default for integrated graphics products.
      • Integrated graphics users may switch back to the “Quality” performance preset for better frame-generation quality during fast motion. The “Quality” preset is the default when using discrete graphics cards.
      • Users can manually enable this “Performance” mode on discrete graphics cards to hit even higher frame rates when GPU bound to maximize the FPS uplift.
    • Users can find these tuning options within the “Advanced View” of HYPR-RX.

Multi-GPU Configurations

• For any hybrid-graphics configuration, AFMF 2 will use the displaying GPU for frame generation, allowing the render GPU to focus on the game.

What’s Next? 

We are continuously refining HYPR-RX with AFMF 2, using feedback from gamers across thousands of games to drive innovation. Join the conversation by sharing how well AFMF 2 is working on your system.

Fixed Issues

• AFMF may become inactive after enabling certain on-screen overlays.

Known Issues

• Performance metrics overlay may intermittently report N/A after task switching with certain display configurations.
  • Baldur's Gate 3 may experience an app crash on AMD Ryzen™ AI 300 Series Processors.
  • Intermittent driver timeout may occur after opening the Xbox Game Bar while AFMF 2 and RSR is active with certain Vulkan games.

Download link:

https://www.amd.com/en/resources/support-articles/release-notes/RN-RAD-WIN-AFMF2-TECH-Preview.html

11 Replies
Draxirch
Miniboss

Does nothing to help Kingdom Hearts....

Not surprised now.

I may have jumped the gun, will need to test properly.

Nope, still crashes just as often as before.

0 Likes
backFireX64
Forerunner

Tested in alan wake 2, AFMF 2 is really smooth.

Problem is this driver introduces black screen in mpc-hd and madvr for about 20 seconds before video is played out. Anyone else having this issue?

0 Likes
Mirk44
Adept II

Thank you for posting this, this driver fixed the issues i was having with 24.6.1 and 24.7.1, works perfectly.

For the issue of MPC-HD Madvr, i tried a mkv file i have and i don't have the issue of a black screen, my GPU is a 7900xt

I am using an rx6900xt, so maybe it is a RDNA2 issue (regarding the black screen).

0 Likes
Tinyskynet
Adept III

Tried this driver as well and I have to say, impressive. The bugs I had before are gone.

Oh and I don't have a blackscreen in mpc-hd and I'm on a 6700xt and a 6800xt on another pc.

0 Likes

Then something on my end isn't right. Very good driver though, i hope afmf 2 is implemented on 24.8.1 but that would be rather soon i guess.

Are you using d3d11 in LAV video filter by the way?

0 Likes

I noticed that when I move the mouse very fast all over the mousepad the generator shuts down. They still haven't fixed it.

0 Likes

Yup, using d3d11 in lav video filter. Just checked

But I'm using Win11 24h2. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but you never know.

0 Likes
Qley
Journeyman III

I have a RX 6700XT. Should I go for this? Or should I just wait for 24.8.1? The lastest drivers (24.6.1 and 24.7.1) have been terrible for me. I can't play my favorite game Temtem with any of them. It runs terrible. I had to roll back to 24.5.1 to play it normally. And this never happened to me before.

0 Likes

Well, that is really up to you, but so far it worked pretty good on my end. So, I can only suggest that if you do give it a try use the amd cleanup utility before installing the driver(and turn driver auto update off or disconnect your internet when you install it)

0 Likes

I was really hyped about it finally supporting windowed mode, which is essential as i'm running triple monitors, but it still doesn't work with either iracing or assetto corsa.

0 Likes