Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dtofflemire
Journeyman III

Persistent Black Screen and BSOD Errors Post GPU to APU Transition

Dear Community,

I am reaching out to address a recurring issue that arises when transitioning from GPU to APU after gaming sessions. Despite the system’s continued operation, the screen invariably turns black. Additionally, I encounter frequent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and other BSOD errors, which seem to be driver-related. While the CTRL-Shift-R command temporarily resolves the screen blackout, this problem has persisted since the Windows 22H2 update and subsequent AMD Adrenalin driver updates.

As a dedicated supporter of AMD products for over two decades, I find the longevity of this issue concerning, particularly as it appears to be a common problem among users with similar configurations for nearly four years. I am seeking a resolution or a community-endorsed workaround to this problem and am open to any suggestions or solutions that may be available.

My specs are as follows. Please let me know if anyone needs additional data.

Laptop: OMEN Gaming Laptop 16-n0033dx (6G0K5UA);

Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 6650M
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 6800H with Radeon Graphics 8 Cores

OS: Windows 11 Professional 23H2 (Updated 04/13/2024 @ 1600 CST (-6GMT);

AMD Driver Version: 24.3.1 Adrenalin

I am not in any way affiliated with AMD. The above advice should not be construed as coming from AMD in any form or fashion, and I offer no warranty - explicit or implied - on any advice provided.
0 Likes
4 Replies
dtofflemire
Journeyman III

I cannot edit the above post, but I would like to make a correction: The key combination for the driver reset I said I'm using is not, in fact, CTRL-Shift-R; it is WIN-key - CTRL - Shift - B.

I would also like to add the following information, as it is relevant to the above post: I only notice the BSOD errors when my laptop is running on battery power, and suspect that the BSODs may in fact be a hardware problem and unrelated to the rest of my issues.

I am not in any way affiliated with AMD. The above advice should not be construed as coming from AMD in any form or fashion, and I offer no warranty - explicit or implied - on any advice provided.
0 Likes

I too am facing the same issue where my screen goes black and the only way to fix it by restarting the laptop { i too have hp omen} and the issue has started after i started installed amd driver adrenalin edition. Should i just uninstall the driver??
And is switching from apu to gpu and vice versa actually good for your pc??

0 Likes

I am having this same problem.  It is very frustrating.  I hope there is a solution soon.  I am using an HP Omen 16. 

0 Likes
dtofflemire
Journeyman III

Step 1: Press Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B.

Step 2: Your screen(s) will flash black (if they aren't black already) as the driver refreshes. 

So far this is the only fix for this. It's apparently something that hasn't been fixed in three driver updates, and no one from AMD seems to give a **bleep**. That said, this will get your screen running without having to force restart your laptop.

As for switching from APU to GPU, it's perfectly fine. That's what your Ryzen does when you're gaming, or when you're doing tasks like video rendering, etc.

0 Likes