cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Amd adrenaline update breaks pc

So this problem started a while ago but basically when I update my amd graphics driver (install adrenaline for the rx 6600 xt off of the amd website) the next time my pc is turned on (after a shutdown or restart) I can’t open application, nothing loads, can’t shutdown the pc from the windows key menu. The only thing I can do is log in with my pin and turn on the pc.  I am able to do stuff like open boot menu settings and reset my pc with the hp recovery tool, but that uninstalls everything and I need to be able to update my driver.  I tried waiting for a new version but it had the same issue.  Anyone know a fix? 

p.s. done this 2-3 times, issue only happens after I install amd adrenaline, also a buddy of mine with the same pc (other than ram, and storage) has the same issue

0 Likes
1 Solution
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

First, Information Required When Posting a Discussion - AMD Community

Second, have you tried using DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility to uninstall old drivers and then moved on to install the new ones directly from AMD?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

View solution in original post

8 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

First, Information Required When Posting a Discussion - AMD Community

Second, have you tried using DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility to uninstall old drivers and then moved on to install the new ones directly from AMD?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Sorry, I didn’t realize there was a format I was supposed to follow, I’ll use that in the future going forward.

I can try a DDU (never used one before) but if I never installed a new driver after using the hp recovery tool (uninstalls everything and puts pc to default) would I even have a graphics driver to uninstall?  

Rx 6600 xt, 64 gb ddr4 ram, idk the motherboard (victus desktop pc prebuilt), ryzen 7 5700g 

0 Likes

After you reinstall Windows it likes to install the WRONG DRIVERS. Why it does this is a mystery to me and the only way to fix it is to disable Windows driver updates, use DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility, and reinstall drivers fresh from AMD's support page. 

It could easily be that Windows messed your drivers up. Windows drivers screw up a lot of machines. Let me know how this goes. Here is a guide to stop Windows from downloading drivers.

Windows Update Replacing AMD Adrenalin Drivers? FIX it in 2 minutes! - YouTube

Solved: How to stop updates for drivers with Windows Updat... - AMD Community

0 Likes

It seems to have worked, was able to us a ddu to uninstall the old drivers and prevent windows from installing new ones as well as install the new one and not have it break the pc. Tested to see if the display bugs I had on star citizen were still there and pushed it pretty hard and no bugs popped up.  You’re awesome and thanks a bunch.  
Also had my buddy do it with me so his pc is good too.

Rx 6600 xt, 64 gb ddr4 ram, idk the motherboard (victus desktop pc prebuilt), ryzen 7 5700g 

thank you, your advice with AMD Cleanup Utility helped me with the same problem. I bought an RX 6600 yesterday, and after inserting it into the PC, I just updated the drivers. And then I read the advice and first cleared the driver data and then installed Amd adrenaline.

Ryzen 5 5600G, ASrock B450M, RX 6600

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

No problem.

0 Likes
Frederik
Journeyman III

Hi,

possibly the same problem:

when installing the AMD-drivers in windows the screen pops up - and closes. It says something like 'I'm in in suspend-mode'.

With Linux everything works fine ...

Problem as well: latest windows-update does not install completely - it stalls at about 75% without any change to restore, rebuild or even deinstall the update.

Tryimg now DDU.

Any other help?

Regards, FV

0 Likes

Hi there,

used DDU and cleanup-utility - nothing works.

Even when switching back to windows native drivers and internet-connection is enabled: the moment graphics switches to high-DPI it fails - black screen.

So again de-installation, but the moment, when a new driver is installed - black screen.

Any ideas?

Regards, FV

ASUS TUF gaming X670e plus; Ryzen 7 7800X3D ; AMD Radeon RX 6700XT

0 Likes