cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

whatif98
Journeyman III

PC hangs without freezing completly (AMD Ryzon 7 3800X, Radeon RX 570) AMD driver issue?

Hi guys,

I recently put together a new PC. Since day one, I've had the problem that it hangs on average about once a day without freezing completely. A detailed description of the problem follows below. Other than that, it runs very well. The CPU gets warm pretty quickly (runs at about 50°C when idle), but doesn't get warmer than 70-80°C even after prolonged gaming. Since I've read that the built-in CPU is supposed to be a bit of a hothead, I don't see this as a big problem with the stock fan.

1. Hardware:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
RAM: 2x Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 DDR4 (8 GB)
Mainboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX
Power supply: 450 Watt Corsair CV Series CV450 80 Plus
Case: Inter-Tech W-III RGB
Graphics card: Radeon RX 570 Series
SSD: WD Black SN750 (WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0)

2. Software:
Windows 10 Pro: 10.0.19042 Build 19042
Grafikkartentreiber: 27.20.14527.2002
Chipset driver: 2.13.27.501 (before: 9.03.00.206)

3. Problem:
The real problem is that it usually hangs only after prolonged use. It happened especially often when the PC was not touched for a while and then work should be continued. It also happened noticeably often during Zoom calls, Discord calls or when opening a new tab in Google Chrome. The error has not yet appeared while gaming. In general, however, the error can occur at any time and is difficult to assign to a cause.

The following symptoms occur:
- Zoom Call + Discord
-> Video of me and the other person freezes, sound of the other person can still be heard, but the other person can't hear me anymore.
- NZXTcam freezes -> temperatures and CPU monitoring etc. don't change anymore
- Taskmanager can still be opened but is also frozen
- Spotify doesn't work properly anymore, song hangs, like a vinyl record
- Chrome hangs and does not close
 - new programs do not open properly
- Windows applications can still be opened via Start, but they have graphic errors (the user interface is not loaded correctly) and the application icon is not displayed in the taskbar 
- Windows search bar sometimes goes completely black 
- PC does not shut down normally
- once Excel was open, it could still be used
- the problem does not disappear by itself
- reacts slower in general
- graphics error on the desktop -> has not occurred for a long time, though

4. What I have already tried:

The following hint for current Windows 10 problems I found on a german website:

The computer reacts very slowly or not at all. Or the computer can not be shut down, because the services are not terminated. - This may be due to the AMD chipset or graphics driver.

I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled all graphics card and chipset drivers without success. Also, the recent Windows update and the new chipset drivers from AMD (2.13.27.501) could not prevent Disney+ from freezing yesterday.

Other steps without success were:
- Windows 10 completely reinstalled
- SSD tested with CrystalDiskInfo -> no errors 
- Memory tested with Memtest86 (4 passes) -> no errors found 
- Benchmark with 3DMark -> no problems found 
- CPU stress test with AMD Ryzen Master -> no problems
- the Windows diagnostic tool found corrupted files once after reinstalling Windows, but never again after that (see pictures)

I don't really think it's due to a hardware failure here. A bluescreen or complete crash has not occurred so far and all diagnostics have found nothing. But also software-wise I can't think of anything else I could try. Maybe someone has an idea what the problem is or what I could try.

I still think it's a Windows 10 or AMD driver problem, but I'm disappointed after the last updates didn't solve the problem.

Thanks a lot already!

Best Regards
Florian

0 Likes
0 Replies