cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

marcooo4747
Newcomer

PC becomes completely unresponsive if I update GPU drivers

Other than this nothing in my PC has any issue, updating GPU drivers is the only thing that causes this problem and uninstalling and going back to a previous version is the one thing that fixes it, I am not considering hardware issues, but it might be a compatibility thing.

I am completely lost here, can't find similar issues online, I don't know what to try.

I have a RX 6600 and I am currently using 23.5.2 drivers, it causes no trouble and a few versions above it might still work but this is the "safe spot" I use. If i try to update to the newest version of GPU drivers, be it through the AMD Adrenaline software or a clean install of GPU drivers the issue still occurs.

This is how it goes:

-I am using 23.5.2, everything works completely fine.

-I update to newest version.

-The newest version is downloaded, I click install, it finishes the installation, I restart the PC.

-After initial boot I put my password, I get into desktop, then I have like 10-12 seconds where the PC will act normally and open any program/file I click on with no issues, after that it will not freeze, no weird sound will come out, no message in the screen, no strange noises coming through speakers or PC, cursor can be moved and if I put it above icons they will be highlighted, weather, time and all those icons still update properly, but no matter what I click on nothing will happen, no programs/apps/files can be opened, if I click start it might not open the tab and even if it does I cannot do anything, including shut off or restart the PC, no response other than being able to move the cursor. This happens every single time I turn on my PC and won't stop unless I change the drivers version.

Again: the issue will only happen if I update to a newer version and will be fixed only if I install a previous.

0 Replies