cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Draxirch
Challenger

On the journey to a more stable Kingdom Hearts AMD experience.

***PLEASE NOTE THIS DOES NOT RESOLVE THE ISSUE IT ONLY PROLONGS THE CRASHES. AMD WILL NEED TO FIX IT WITH A DRIVER UPDATE IN THE FUTURE STILL.***

As I and many others are probably sick of waiting for a fix for these crashes, I have discovered a way to make them a little more stable but not entirely crash free.

Rule 1) NEVER set vsync options on, these crash the game way more often.

Right well you need to follow the below.

1) Set Resolution to 720p and any of the three options Fullscreen, Borderless Windowed, Windowed.

2) Set Framerate to UNLOCKED. Any other than 30 or unlocked you WILL crash.

3) DELETE and uninstall AMD Adrenaline (This is the cause of so many of the crashes, remove it via AMD Software or AMD settings in Add or Remove Programmes)

Using the above I've managed to get to Leon in Rechain of Memories somehow, it still crashes but it's not immediate now.

Report back on your findings.

The more we know, the more AMD will know, the more chances AMD will fix down the road.

Note: I am using the Rog Ally.

UPDATE 1: Tested going into 5 heartless battles in a row, not crashed yet, but it does happen at times and sometimes when pausing in Rechain.

Pause crash is pretty much gone in KH1 now too I think?

CRASH FINDINGS

KH1 - Pausing when on fps 60-120

KH2 - Crashes during Kairi and Selphie scene when cutscenes are locked to 30 fps, Consistent crash in Twilight Town Train Station when transitioning areas if fps is 60-120 or refresh rate is on.

Khrecom - Good luck, this one is unstable, crashes on battles, crashes when leaving battles randomly, crashes when loading, crashes when saving, it's all pot luck with Recom, some things work, some things don't.

The most important setting I think is 720p and Unlocked with no Refresh Rate.

Its a work around but a very hit and miss one...

3 Replies
Mirk44
Adept I

Thank you for the work, i really hope AMD will fix the problem

0 Likes

I seriously hope they do, these work around may work somewhat but we shouldn't have to do this, it should just "work".

0 Likes
Draxirch
Challenger

More findings include.

Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 play stable it doesnt seem to be crashing when pausing anymore or at least not so often as i just crashed when pausing so it still happens, can crash randomly still but nowhere near as often. You need to unlock the cutscene fps to 60 for a better experience with crashing.

Kingdom Hearts Rechain of Memories is a little stuttery but playable (Crashes at times so save often)

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep it seems to crash on the tutorial, this is consistent. Try experimenting with Windowed Mode etc with this one. This one is just as bad as Rechain of Memories was and crashes no matter what. (This is the ONE time where refresh rate actually HELPS, turn it on for this one. Lower the res to 720p though.)

You must play with UNLOCKED framerate or 30 FPS to have a somewhat okay experience.

(If AMD can fix this still it will be ideal, but at least its somewhat playable now)

Don't forget to delete Adrenaline software And turn off ANY Vsync options including the ones in Windows.

>Try not to open the settings menu as it will crash more likely.

>Another suggestion is to disable fullscreen optimizations on all the exes.

20240222_141528.jpg

While this is more playable than before this will still need to be looked into. AMD please look into the nature of these Display Driver crashes.