cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

peaceisbetter
Journeyman III

Noticeable Stuttering and Low 99th % FPS (1% lows) - Ryzen 7 3700X and Radeon RX 5700

Hi,

I have a pre-built pc with a Ryzen 7 3700X CPU and a Radeon RX 5700 GPU with a cyberpowerpc motherboard and 16 gb ram. I am experiencing frame stutters in many games (including Overwatch and BattleBit Remastered). Upon booting up and starting a game, the FPS and frame stutters are very bad, and level out within a few minutes but are still noticeable. I am trying to run at 170 FPS with a g-sync compatible monitor, and I am using AMD adrenaline. Temps never get hotter than 70C, and most of my settings are standard (I have tried a lot of different combinations, but always return to default when they don't make a noticeable change).

I have tried many different combinations of settings, but nothing has worked. I tracked performance, and loaded the .CSV output into R to see what was happening. I've attached a graph of the FPS (red) and 1% lows (blue). I've run a few simple stats on the data, but am not sure how this type of data is normally ran/interpreted. A paired-samples t-test indicates that the FPS and 99th FPS are significantly different at the lowest possible level (p<2e16) with an average difference of 41 frames.

Please advise ways to fix this issue.

fpsand99thfpsOverwatch.png

0 Likes
2 Replies
Heilstein
Adept I

Hi there,

is ULPS (Ultra Low Power State) enabled by chance? 

Check by going to your Registry Editor and pressing Ctrl-F 'EnableULPS' and double-clicking it. If the value is 1 , this might be your problem.

If thats the case, change the value to 0 or if you are using MSI Afterburner go to settings,General/AMD compability properies and check Disable ULPS. 

Had a similar problem with 1% and .1% lows in almost any game with my RX 6750XT and this worked for me. 

Hope this helps.

Howdy, thanks for the suggestion. I found the 'EnableUlps' setting in the registry editor and it was indeed set to 1.  I set it to 0 and upon booting the game I had a good minute or two of high FPS with no stuttering! But, then it started stuttering again (major stutters, dropping from 170 FPS to ~70 FPS). It only took about 2 minutes or so for it to go back to normal (170 fps with no noticeable stuttering).

I also used DDU yesterday to uninstall the graphics driver, then reinstalled the driver along with AMD adrenaline, and tracked the performance again. This worked well to stop the stuttering after the initial couple minutes of crazy frame drops. Afterwards I saw a major reduction in 1% Lows (avg difference in FPS and 99th% FPS went from 40 frames to 30 frames, which is a noticeable improvement).

Here is the same graph as above, but after using DDU then reinstalling the drivers. You can visibly tell that the difference between the red and blue lines decreases!

fpsand99thfpsafteddu.png

0 Likes