cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

vonvonnie
Journeyman III

new PC, black screen of death after installing drivers

I have a newly built PC that was working fine until I tried to install the latest amd driver (through the auto-detect software they recommended on the page for my gpu), and now I just see the black screen of death. I can turn the tower on just fine and i hear/see it loading up (fan starts working and the usb connected keyboard lights up) but no response from the monitor. I checked the hdmi cord and it’s working correctly, and have removed the graphics card entirely. I used the power supply calculator and confirmed that I’m in the right range (it recommends 700-799; I have a 750).

I’ve tried every method I’ve read to get it ito load in safe mode (interrupting boot-up three times, holding down shift/f8) or even just the bios screen (tapping delete/escape/basically all of the f keys) but there’s still no response from the monitor. I don’t even get a logo or anything on load—just the same unresponsive black screen. I even tried putting my bootable windows 11 drive back into my motherboard to see if I could do a clean install, with no response from the screen at all.

This is my first PC build and I’m freaking out a little, so any advice would be much appreciated!

• msi z790-p with wifi
  • i7 13700K
  • asrock challenger radeon 7800 xt (this is what I downloaded the driver for, but I’ve taken it out now)
  • Team T-Force Vulcan 32GB (2 x 16GB)
  • Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB 7200 RPM
  • Corsair RM750x
  • WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe
  • Antec Performance 1 FT, Full Tower, RTX40
  • dark rock 4
0 Likes
3 Replies
FunkZ
Exemplar

The i7 13700K has an IGP built in, with the 7800XT removed, move your monitor cable to the motherboard output and you should get a picture. If you still see a black screen there is some problem other than the graphics card. Try resetting the BIOS, either via clear CMOS jumper, or unplug the power and remove the motherboard battery.

If you do get a picture after moving the cable to the motherboard, try the graphics card in another system (if available) to see if the problem persists.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

Same issue here.

i7 8700k,

switched from a 1060 to a 7800xt,

ASUS Z370-a Prime,

850W G3 Gold PSU

Did DDU, reinstalled windowsdisabled automatic driver updates. At this point tbe AMD GPU shouldn't even have drivers installed, yet when it is unplugged the computer boots up normally.

Computer boots up sometimes when HDMI is connected to Motherboard.

- Tried enabling and disabling XMP

- Tried enabling and disabling AI Tweaker

- Forced BIOS to use PCIe 3.0

- Used 2 separate power cables

I require help please

0 Likes
JRamirezDD
Journeyman III

Switched from a 1060 to a 7800xt.

Issues with black screen started happening on the restart after AMD drivers were installed.

Windows would not start up (no signal) if the hdmi was connected to the gpu, but would work fine when connected to the motherboard.

I followed the switchover procedure fully (DDU, BIOS reconfig, etc).

Spent a day debugging to no success.

I gave up and opted to reinstall windows (and formatting my SSDs), twice.
First reinstall was with the HDMI still plugged into the motherboard. When switching the cable to the GPU, it still wouldn't work.
Second reinstall was with the HDMI plugged into the GPU. Installation worked perfectly, and GPU is now fully functional.

Experience rating 2/10...

0 Likes