cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

nitro912gr
Adept I

Issues with older Direct X 9 Games

I had a problem recently with the new drivers as I couldn't run specific old dx9 games (Witcher 1, Spellforce 2), at the time I though this is just my old 7850 that is getting dropped from support but now I see new reports that even newer GPUs have problem playing those games, so does made me wonder if AMD will no longer support dx9 games. I fixed this by doing a rollback to crimson but what is gonna happen if I want to get a new AMD GPU?

It is very important for me to know because I have a big backlog with a lot of dx9 games that now I start to play (because you know, adult life...) and I don't want to upgrade my 7850 with a newer card just to find out that it can't play those games.

Please specify what is gonna happen with dx9 games, sure they are old but not that old to not being enjoyable today and they are being still sold and played by people.

Message was edited by: Nikolas Karampelas title fixed :P

Title Edited to indicate true position

31 Replies
jakslap
Challenger

Re: AMD officailly end support for dx9 games?

There has been recent reports that the latest crimson drivers break command and conquer games, i am not sure if they are gonna address this. If you need to upgrade your card there is always Nvidia.

This is a thread about issues with new drivers, an AMD representative responded you might find interesting

Adrenalin driver breaks Command & Conquer games

nitro912gr
Adept I

Yeah I did read this but I want a clear official statement to be sure if they will drop support or it is just second priority to fix this.

As for the nvidia option, I don't like it, I'm red team since forever, I could hate to change to nvidia but I'm not willing to maintain a "vintage" system to being able to play games that are still sold and played by people. After all I have 7850 for many years now, what I will do if the card fail after all those years of service?

revelator
Adept I

agree but fix title OFFICIALLY.

nitro912gr
Adept I

Re: AMD officially end support for dx9 games?

ok I missed that

0 Likes
junk11
Journeyman III

I just built a whole new PC with full AMD spec from CPU to GPU last year, and suddenly this happens… I guess if they don't fix this, this is the end of my "future support" for AMD for sure, well…if Nvidia doesn't break games like this.

0 Likes
orochi_kyo
Journeyman III

Last Nvidia drivers broke some games for me like Broforce, Stardew Valley and other DX9 games, where do you suggest to jump next to people who are tired of the constant bugs in Nvidia Control Panel?
We need a third dedicated GPU manufacturer, Nvidia also broke many stuff everytime they release a new driver and they just stay silent... Both companies are just bad right now...

0 Likes
nitro912gr
Adept I

as I said in another thread, they can lock all the threads in the world if they want, but this is not gonna keep me as a customer. A clear answer however probably will.

And I always had ati/amd cards, it is not like I'm here to troll, I want to know how to plan my next upgrade.

If AMD want to drop dx9 support, that's fine but I want to know once I'm about to order my GPU what it can and it can not do.

If I had just recently got the 570 that I so desperately want (but the prices, thanks to miners are skyrocketed) just to discover a couple of driver updates later that it can no longer play my games (which it was able to do, so amd intentionally broke functionality that the card had) I could be very pissed.

If amd want to drop support for dx9 they can hold till their next line 6XX and just say "listen guys dx9 is old, we don't support it from now on" and this will be perfectly fine, but I want to know prior the purchase.

jakslap
Challenger

Re: Issues with older Direct X 9 Games

Totally agree with everyone that is upset about the current situation. DX9 games are still relevant today they are still being sold in online stores like Steam and Origins. Most of the top games are DX9 these days. I honestly think we have to let them know that this would not be tolerated, if this driver update has broken Command and Conquer, the Witcher and  god knows what else, whats stopping them with breaking other games like Burnout, Modern Warfare, Max Payne 3,Alan Wake, Anno 2070, Bioshock, Dirt 2, Crysis, GTA4  etc etc.

Dropping support for DX9 essential mean dropping support for a large backlog of games which are still modern and being played online today.

And what about DX10 games?????? Whats stopping AMD to drop support for those? #Mantle #BF4 and i am not going to get started why i purchased a R9 280x over the Nvidia equivalent at the time.

These are the questions we have to ask our selves. Jeez even Microsoft is pushing out backwards compatibility to allow there customers to play ORIGINAL XBOX GAMES on the Xbox One. How old are these original Xbox Games?

I don't know about you guys but i am going to spread this info as much as i can even after selling my RX580. This is totally disgusting. I would really like a reply from ray_m about this current situation us the customers deserve to know whats going on

0 Likes
nitro912gr
Adept I

Re: Issues with older Direct X 9 Games

ok things are on the move, now I can feel better because I can stay an amd fanboy

Terry Makedon on Twitter: "Happy 2018 everyone!! I am seeing some stories pop up about AMD not suppo...

Terry Makedon on Twitter: "That is not true. We will for sure fix this bug with SAGE engine games in...

Good to see that in the it was just a not very delicate response on the matter.

0 Likes