MuHcOw
Adept I

Inaccessible Boot Device BSOD After Updating to 23.2.1

I get BSOD after updating...

Stopcode: Inaccessible Boot Device

Windows not booting.
BIOS selftest on my two NVMe pass.

No SATA devices installed.

Ryzen 9 5950X - LiquidDevil RX 6900 XT - 64GB Crucial DDR4 PC4000 - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Windows 10

I downloaded and ran the 23.2.1 installer.

Any advise?

85 Replies

I find fix , i must buy nvidia card 

0 Likes
Chris3
Adept I

There is no fix from AMD!
The error probably concerns a chipset driver, probably SATA, which is also included in the graphics driver package.
Even if the AMD hardware is great, I have to say goodbye to AMD. The software is poor.
Therefore I recommend better to do without AMD hardware (GPU, CPU and chipset)!
In my experience with AMD support, AMD does not seem to be able to learn, because "this problem affects only a few users".

AMD shame on you!

0 Likes
igni
Adept II

Hi,

I would recommend following:

Once you boot into windows Recovery Options,

Go to advanced options

First run Startup Repair (windows will try and most likely fail, but it will create a logfile)

Now go to advanced options again, and command line.

Type in notepad (and enter)

Proceed to open

C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

(Keep a note C is example, recovery mode may have mounted your C disk with other letter - you should check other disks to find your C - should have windows folder in it.)

Look for error there (if possible post contents here.)

(from exp) Its likely amd driver (amdkmpfd.sys) file being corrupt in

C:\Windows\System32\drivers

Which ever one is corrupted or has issues, remove it; and reboot. Keep in mind (to post what is your Srt file tells you. The issue may be different.

The strange thing for me is that Startup Repair actually works, until you reboot again. Then the BSOD happens again. I can't get the "repair" to stick. 

0 Likes

After looking at the log, I see it works because it uses a Restore Point. So each time I boot up, it must be reinstalling whatever driver is the problem.

FYI... I used DISM to remove drivers like other threads have mentioned and that didn't work either. 

0 Likes

I fixed the problem. After booting into Windows using the Startup Repair, I went to Device Manager - - > Storage Controllers.

There were 3 AMD devices. 2 were named "AMD-RAID Bottom Device" and the other one was named "AMD-RAID Controller (storport)". I right-clicked and said Uninstall for all of them. Whenever you see the check-box that says to delete the driver, check it.

After rebooting, my system booted up, but my RAID array was not there (luckily my C drive is the NVMe and my D drive is the missing RAID array).

Now I went to my motherboard's website (Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite v2) and installed all the AMD SATA drivers. Rebooted, still no RAID array showing in Windows. Finally, I went to Device Manager again and saw 1 AMD-RAID Bottom Device, and that is it. But there was also an "Unknown device". I clicked Update Driver and had to manually browse to the folder that I had downloaded the drivers and it found the other Controller (storport) driver. That made my D drive appear again.

I hope this helps someone since I never found these steps in any other Internet thread. 

0 Likes