MuHcOw
Adept I

Inaccessible Boot Device BSOD After Updating to 23.2.1

I get BSOD after updating...

Stopcode: Inaccessible Boot Device

Windows not booting.
BIOS selftest on my two NVMe pass.

No SATA devices installed.

Ryzen 9 5950X - LiquidDevil RX 6900 XT - 64GB Crucial DDR4 PC4000 - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Windows 10

I downloaded and ran the 23.2.1 installer.

Any advise?

85 Replies

I let the computer reboot until I was given the chance to do a system restore...
I have windows running again, but not the 23.2.1 driver!!!

0 Likes
MuHcOw
Adept I

I forgot to add MB revision and BIOS FW version in the OP.

MB rev.: 1.2
BIOS ver.: F37b

I have also tried a clean install.
Only thing I didn't try was applying the update from within the Adrenalin software.

Only way to get windows up and running was to let the computer reboot a few times until I was given the option to run a system restore.

0 Likes
MuHcOw
Adept I

HA!

Now the 22.5.1 driver is giving me a BSOD as well...

This is turning into a farce.

Gonna reinstall windows now

MuHcOw
Adept I

A clean fresh Windows 11 installation did the trick...

I now have a working computer running the 23.2.1 driver.

Win11 better be worth it

0 Likes
sam_86314
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 5800X

PowerColor Red Devil RX 6800 XT

32GB TEAMGROUP DDR4-3600MHz

ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS WiFi

1TB WD SN750

Windows 10 LTSC

Decided to switch from the 23.1.2 NimeZ drivers to this. Downloaded the driver from AMD's site and did a factory reset while keeping current settings.

Upon rebooting I immediately get the recovery screen.

Safe mode didn't work, Macrium Recovery didn't work. Disabling Fast Boot and trying those two again didn't work.

Fortunately I make full system backups every Sunday, so I'm restoring from my Feb 12th backup right now.

Guess this is why NimeZ hasn't updated to 23.2.1. Gonna be staying on 23.1.2 until this problem is fixed.

0 Likes
unic
Adept II

Hi, maybe most users have the same Antivirus BloatSoftware installed.

0 Likes

Standard Windows Defender AV on my side...

0 Likes
Rvn4nt
Adept I

I have the same problem. I have already restored 5 times. Currently I have the factory drivers without updating because if I do BSOD, and restore again.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX

Memory: 16 GB

Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G513QYV 1.0

Grafik: Radeon RX6800M

BIOS G513QYY.318, 29/03/2022 version 3.3 UEFI 0.81

Windows 11 pro latest Update

It is outrageous that there is no answer to this problem.

0 Likes
hara6oto1990
Journeyman III

I`m using Red Devil RX 6700 XT and the computer is booting  but some artifacts started to appear from time to time like the VRAM is bad. Junction temp is at 79-81 under load , GPU temp 65. Reverting to 22.11.2 fixed those issues. I will check my BIOS settings to see if the driver is changing something and if it does....Not good for a driver to change any BIOS settings or system core files.

Ryzen 5 3600X, Aorus B450 pro,32gb Corsair LPX 3200mhz. Latest BIOS ver. 63.

0 Likes
Chris3
Adept I

AMD, please create a repair program that repairs Windows 10 under the WinRE prompt!

0 Likes
valous
Journeyman III

Someone found the issue and the solution worked for me. There is nothing wrong with the actual drivers but there is an issue in the package they either did not include or there is an issue with the cleanup utility so do not use the factory reset option in the installer.

Use the AMD cleanup utility let it wipe the drivers, when back in Windows install 23.2.1 drivers and do not select factory reset option and its installed fine for me.

Still an AMD problem as they need to fix the installer but this will hopefully get the drivers installed properly for people.

0 Likes

That could be it!

I know for a fact that I didn't select the "factory reset" option when installing the driver on my fresh windows 11 installation.

But I'm not sure if I selected the "factory reset" option the very first time around, or not.

I don't have time to test this until later tonight.

Maybe someone else can?

0 Likes
kokokobe
Journeyman III

same problem with 3700 +  ausu x470i + 6900xt . I reinstall system . not the nvme device problem

0 Likes
Chris3
Adept I

AMD!
I do not want to completely reinstall my computer and find that the problem is not fixed yet.
I ask for answers:
- What triggers the error message "Inaccessible Boot Device"?
- How can I solve the problem under WinRE command prompt?
- When will there be a permanent solution?
Please solve the problem quickly so as not to lose long-time loyal customers!!!

nothing helps so far:

I can start only WinRE, Safemode isn`t working

Cleanuputility AMD and DDU doesn,t work under WinRE

Systemrecovery doesn`t work

Clear CMOS doesn`t help

sfc and DISM couldn`t solve the problem.

Deleting AMD Drivers with DISM

Adaptive-Sync (Freesync) in my monitor is disabled, doesn`t solve the problem

Please help soon! I loose a lot of time!

0 Likes

Have you tried windows advanced startup > uefi firmware settings, choose a different windows boot manager option.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I hate to say it but unless you have a backup you can restore there is a good chance you'll have to reinstall. I had similar problems a couple years ago (with a GTX1070 just for the record) and I spent a week solid trying everything I could find. In the end I gave up. Took the opportunity to switch from legacy bios to UEFI, formatted, reinstalled everything from scratch. Took less time doing that than I spent messing about trying to fix it.

As I said, it's been a couple years so I'm not 100%, but from memory the cause was something about the MBR being corrupted. Maybe your problem is different, but if not, you're probably better just biting the bullet and doing a clean rebuild. Just hope you backed up important data to an external drive/the cloud.

Out of curiosity, are you using an m2 drive? And if so how old is it? Mine was a 970EVO that I'd had for quite awhile.

0 Likes
hara6oto1990
Journeyman III

I`m using AMD cards since 2011 and for that time I realized that the best way to install GPU drivers is from the device manager. First the gpu driver and then the audio driver. The way I`m doing it is as it follows :

1: Uninstall old driver with DDU in safe mode

2: Run the installer , but paste the folder elsewhere.

3: Cancel the installation after extracting the folder.

4: Open device manager> Display adapters>Microsoft basic display adapter>Update driver>Choose the folder that was extracted from the installer>Next>Done

5: For the audio driver from the device manager choose>Sound , Video and game controllers>High Definition Audio device and follow the steps from step 4.

6: Reboot the PC and many of the Radeon software related problems are gone.

0 Likes
schldskjoirz
Adept III

New 23.2.2 is just published. Try it.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
• 5900X • 6900XT • X570 • NH-D15S • 16Gb@3600Mhz • 1000W • 65" TV (HDMI) • Sony 5.1 audio (toslink)
0 Likes
schldskjoirz
Adept III

New version 23.2.2 is published. Try it. At least it didn't cause any issues on my PC. If the newer versions don't work simply use the latest working driver until they get the problems fixed.

• 5900X • 6900XT • X570 • NH-D15S • 16Gb@3600Mhz • 1000W • 65" TV (HDMI) • Sony 5.1 audio (toslink)
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

just go back to older 22.xx.x driver version.

0 Likes
Chris3
Adept I

No solution from this forum works for me!
AMD, if you destroy my AMD computer and if you can not fix it I expect you to give me a new Intel/NVIDIA PC for free!
Thank you!

0 Likes
ChronicIntake
Journeyman III

Did the newest update fix this issue? I had to reset my pc last time and lost a bunch of downloads and now i am scare to download 23.2.2

0 Likes
Chris3
Adept I

AMD, PLEASE!!!!

I expect a solution soon! I need a program that under the command prompt will repair my computer destroyed by AMD driver. When will this be available?

PLEASE!!!!

PLEASE!!!!

0 Likes
Chris3
Adept I

AMD, PLEASE!!!!

When will there be a solution for the command prompt (when safe mode does not work)???

Do you want to lose customers???

My solution:

Never again AMD!!!

Never again AMD!!!

0 Likes
Chris3
Adept I

AMD, where is your solution that also works????

0 Likes
Chris3
Adept I

AMD,

can it be that the driver 23.2.1, has changed the SATA/AHCI configuration or driver?
I ask for details!

AMD, please answer !!!

0 Likes

The ...2.1. driver alters the bios configuration and boot options that may lead to crashings, boot loop, BSOD and such and possibly into unrepairable conditions. Hence ppl should avoid the ...2.1. version and install the version ...2.2. instead. Reportedly at least the most alarming bugs are fixed.

0 Likes
Chris3
Adept I

AMD, where is your repair program?
Safe mode does not work, restore point does not work.
AMD Cleanup Utility and DDU does not work under Command Prompt, not under Windows RE, not under Windows PE.
DISM /RestoreHealth does not work.
I can't install another driver under the command prompt.
Nothing from this forum works!
AMD, where is your solution that works???

0 Likes

If you can't start your PC to Advanced options and restore the system to earlier point, there's not much you can do but reinstall Windows.

0 Likes
cwiggles
Elite

I have not experienced this issue, however, if it helps AMD identify this issue that others are reporting then here is my system specs.

- ASUS Strix B650E-E  Gameing with Bios 0821 
- R7 7700X 
- 2x16GB Gskill Trident Z5 Neo DIMs
- Win11 Pro
- MSI Mech 2 6700XT
- Samsung NVME 980 Pro 500GB (Boot drive)
- 2 x Samsung NVME 980 Pro 1TB

Craig

0 Likes
Chris3
Adept I

The error should be in the "Drivers" directory and in the registry in the "SYSTEM" file.
Can AMD times comment on this, where exactly?
So far I have not received any appropriate help from AMD.
It seems to me that AMD does not care adequately for its customers.
So far there is neither a reasonable solution without reinstallation, let alone an appropriate apology on the part of AMD.

So I can only strongly advise everyone against AMD!

0 Likes
Enkidu69
Journeyman III

I had a slightly different issue, after updating to 23.2.2 everything was ok but then few hours later after turning PC on it started in BIOS. Everything looked fine so I just saved and exited and so far PC is working fine for half a day but that scared me.

GPU is Sapphire RX6600. CPU Ryzen 5500 on Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE V2.

0 Likes
Chris3
Adept I

The error should be in the Drivers directory and in the registry in the SYSTEM file.

AMD, please let me know, what kann I Change in Registry and which Driver should I Change to solve the Problem "Inaccessible Boot Device"
So far I have not received any appropriate help from AMD.
It seems to me that AMD does not care adequately for its customers.
So far there is neither a reasonable solution without reinstallation, let alone an appropriate apology on the part of AMD.
So I can only strongly advise everyone against AMD!

0 Likes
Chris3
Adept I

The error should be in the Drivers directory and in the registry in the SYSTEM file.

AMD, please let me know, what kann I Change in Registry and which Driver should I Change to solve the Problem "Inaccessible Boot Device"
So far I have not received any appropriate help from AMD or this forum.
AMD, please help!

0 Likes
Chris3
Adept I

Unfortunately, no one from this forum has been able to help me yet.
How do I get (German) competent support directly from AMD?

0 Likes
Chris3
Adept I

Unfortunately, no one from this forum could help me so far.
How can I get competent support directly from AMD?
I have again written everything together as a new topic. This was marked as spam and not published.
This is pathetic, AMD!

0 Likes
Chris3
Adept I

Unfortunately, no one from this forum could help me so far.
How do I get competent support directly from AMD?
I have written everything again, as a new topic together. This was marked as spam and not published.
This is pathetic, AMD!

0 Likes
GraphiteCat
Journeyman III

Same issue catch yesterday. Thanks AMD, you killed my 5 years old windows). But problem not only with adrenalin drivers, I tried to install  PRO Edition drivers Revision Number 22.Q4 with factory reset checkbox enabled. What I did
1. Uninstalled adrenalin driver and reboot.
2. Installed pro edition driver with factory reset checkbox, reboot.
3. After than windows never booted.

Nothing helped, no safe mode, no any of boot menu choice, no auto repair, no trying to fix boot with programs or with command promt. It looks like your drivers trying to modify bcd boot file, modified timestamp of BCD file is near that time I tried to install driver. bcdedit command in command promt mode dosn't show boot configuration, looks like file is corrupted. What your driver forgot at boot file?

Intel i5 6600k (not overclocked), Radeon RX580 4gb, SSD Samsung 970 EVO Nvme, gpt partition, MSI Z170A, Win10

It looks like problem not in system config, but maybe near NVMe which use gpt partition.

0 Likes

After numerous contacts with AMD support I had to find out that AMD is neither interested in the cause, nor a solution of the problem!

Quote: "The issue affected a very small subset number of users has been addressed with drivers (32.2.2 and later). and was resolved by restoring the system to an earlier state.."

It is always referred to Microsoft only:
"https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recovery-options-in-windows-31ce2444-7de3-818c-d626-e3b5..."

In case of doubt, this means that the system has to be completely reinstalled, like in my case - with every new driver!
The error will remain! Up to now AMD has not understood anything!

AMD shame on you!

0 Likes
xhellsing777
Journeyman III

How fix it , except  re-instal win ?

0 Likes