IGPU 780M from Ryzen 7 8700G - black screen after drivers installation

Hi All,

I've just finished my build

- MSI B650 Gaming plus WIFI with latest BIOS - 7E26v1D  2024-05-31

- Ryzen 7 8700G/Radeon 780M

- PSU 650W

- 2x16 Lexar 6400

- Windows 11 Home - with latest updates

Last thing which I can't solve Is that any AMD drivers for Radeon 780M (Adrenalin 24.5.1 - 24.2.1) causes 

screen freez and black screen with cursor. This is visible during drivers installation and after reboot

it happens sometimes on Windows login screen, sometimes just right after login.

I was able to check device manager (quite short time before black screen) and there are no errors and Radeon 780M is visible.

Does anyone had similar issue and know what need to be done, updated, changed in order to make IGPU full functional ?

Regards,

WD 

0 Likes
7 Replies
FunkZ
Paragon

@WellDone wrote:

- 2x16 Lexar 6400

If you're using XMP/EXPO to run that at 6400 try turning that off so the memory runs at default, see if your issues clear up.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
WellDone
Journeyman III

Hi,

I don't think that it might be related to DDR5 as with enabled EXPO on 6400 everything is working without Radeon 780M driver. 

I disabled EXPO XMP in bios and RAM is now configured with standard 5200.

But still when I switch from default Microsoft graphic driver to Radeon 780M after few seconds there is a freez and later on black screen with cursor.

Should I install something else then adrenalin drivers ?

#Update

I used AMD cleanup utility and removed all of the stuff from PC

and after I tried again with Adrenalin 24.5.1 and freez and black screen happened during instalation

monitor blinks few times (new graphics driver was enabled) and after this freez + black screen again.

How to trace down problem with IGPU drivers ?

Is there any tool that I can use in order to check whats going on ?

Regards,

WD

0 Likes

It is a little bit weird but I removed driver again and I've installed again latest version of the Adrenlin 24.5.1 - during installation there was again freez and black screen. So I rebooted PC again in switch back to default Microsoft driver So I starter installation of the driver again. Installer found that there is a problem with graphic driver with information to fix it. Such procedure I repeated few times and now I dont See any problems - no more black screens

I even enabled EXPO 6400 for DDR5 and it works till now.

Now I need to perform some igpu tests.

Cinebench works without any issue.

Do you think that FurMark is good tool to check igpu stability? 

0 Likes

Furmark will certainly stress test a GPU, probably more so than most games.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
Frederik
Journeyman III

Hi,

same issue here.

Did deinstall, install multiple times, latest windows update (KB5037853) does not run through and I'm not able to deinstall it.

But I will try again ...

Frederik

(Grafik: AMD Radeon RX 6700XT; Board ASUS TUF Gaming x670e-plus mit AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D)

0 Likes

I'm sure that this is related to GPU drivers.

I thought that problem was somehow solved but it is still visible from time to time in random places.

Eg I'm able to play 2h in CS GO2 and everything is fine and 2 min after game in windows pulpit there is freez and black screen.

If you have the same problem please look at comments after 24.5.1 release. There are many posts about freez + black screen related to amduw23g driver crash.

When I uninstalled latest windows quality updates I think it was even worst..... I was not able to Quick disable 780M driver after login to windows because of crash. But later on forca moment it was ok.

I believe that in next update or patch it will be better .....

WD

0 Likes

Well then.

I had to reinstall Windows 11 and have been careful what driver to install.
As long I was using the Winows11 driver supplied via update everything worked fine.
But I had to install a new AMD-GraphicsCard thar demanded an update - and suddenly came the issue:
graphics went into suspend Mode without any prelimitary notice: on internal or external graphics.

No problems with overheating so far!
The funny thing is:

When changing in running system to internal graphics (on AMD Ryzen 7 7800XRD)  or vice versa the system runs  perfectly - for some times.
I can not tetermind when graphics crash - neither inetrnal nor external.

Neither I can say what a special program I use: I supposed it is an issue with foldingathome - but since I am not folding on the internal graphics Card and the same error occured again it must be an issue with the adrenalin drivers - not the grapihics.

Any Clue?

TX

Frederik

0 Likes