cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

raz1337
Journeyman III

HP Laptop Driver Timeouts

I am editing this because I realized I made the huge mistake of assuming this was a Dell Laptop on Amazon instead of looking at the HP logo in front of me.

I bought this laptop in July 2023. 

The serial number lookup on HP's site shows:

HP 15.6 inch Laptop PC 15-fc0000 IDS Base Model

AMD Ryzen 5 7530U Processor
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Graphics
2TB SSD
Windows 11 Home 22H2 64-bit

Everything has been fine until 2 days ago. I don't game on the laptop. I use OBS for screenshotting from my PS5 and Streamlabs to stream to Twitter. Other than that, my usage is just web browsing and playing videos in VLC.

All of a sudden 2 days ago, when I tried streaming, I would get the driver timeout error. Sometimes it lasts a few minutes, sometimes it happens immediately. I thought it was temperatures. The GPU is sitting at 60C.

I noticed I could no longer see any video in VLC. I didn't notice issues in Chrome playing videos, but I have hardware acceleration off in Chrome, so likely why. I have uninstalled the AMD software, reinstalled the latest drivers. I uninstalled and used DDU and reinstalled. I uninstalled and used AMD cleanup. I reverted back to 23.11 drivers. I have tried recovery options of reverting to an earlier build and reverting to the Windows Repair build.

I got curious and started going through Windows Update. It says something called Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - SoftwareComponent - 31.2319.0.0 was installed the same day my problems started.

I can't find anything on a model for this graphics card, either other than Radeon.

I tried installing the Graphics Drivers from the HP site. It unpacks it, shows 2 command windows and then stops. and nothing happens.

I'm at a loss of what to do.

16 Replies

First go to Dell Support download page for your laptop and update all the drivers including your BIOS and CHIPSET and AMD Driver.

Okay deleted my original reply after rereading your OP reply.

"I got curious and started going through Windows Update. It says something called Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - SoftwareComponent - 31.2319.0.0 was installed the same day my problems started."

Most likely what happened was that Windows Update installed a AMD Driver that was incompatible with the current AMD driver you had installed. Thus most likely corrupting your AMD driver.

First thing I would do is prevent Windows Update from installing Device drivers on your laptop: elevenforum- enable-or-disable-include-drivers-with-windows-updates-in-windows-11.2232/ 

After preventing Windows Update from installing drivers, go to Dell Support Download page and download Dell's OEM AMD Driver first and install it. See if the issue is resolved.

If it is then you can try to install AMD Mobile basic graphics driver and see if everything works normally. Mind you the AMD basic driver may not support all the graphic functions of your Dell laptop which is why it is best to use Dell's own OEM AMD Graphic driver.

If the issue still persists, use your Dell Laptop Diagnostic program to check your Laptop for hardware/software issues.

Also check after installing the AMD driver is still having problems go to Device Manager and check to see if there are any errors and both your laptop GPUs are enabled.

Also go to Windows Event Viewer under "ERRORS" and see if there are any errors concerning your GPU or driver.

Also download GPU-Z and upload an image showing both GPUs to make sure the AMD driver is installed correctly.

0 Likes

I have edited the original post because I realized this wasn't a Dell. My mistake. I have provided the information from HP on it that I can get in the original post I edited. I will try your other suggestions that aren't Dell specific.

I thought you had a special Dell Model since under Dell Support Model 3535 didn't show up.

Replace everything I said about Dell with HP.

In another words use HP SUPPORT Download page for your laptop to update all your laptop drivers and to download HP OEM AMD Graphics driver.

EDIT: Thanks for the exact HP Laptop model you have. I found HP SUPPORT DOWNLOAD page for your laptop: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/hp-15.6-inch-laptop-pc-15-fc0000/2101497656

NOTE: There is a new BIOS Version from April 2024 to install if yours is outdated. Also update your HP Diagnostic software and run it to make sure everything checks good.

Your Laptop should have a driver/App updating program to update all the drivers and apps in your laptop top (HP SUPPORT ASSISTANT) : https://support.hp.com/us-en/help/hp-support-assistant

Use that to update your AMD Graphics & CHIPSET drivers.

Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update.

Lastly run in a elevated Command Prompt/Powershell the following simpe line command to check your Windows OS:

SFC /scannow

0 Likes

I checked event viewer and found this that occurs when the timeout happens

Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user raz\raz13 SID (S-1-5-21-2872459645-1509269296-3543204249-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Okay, make sure Windows Update for drivers is disabled and download HP OEM AMD Graphics driver and install it see if the problem persists or not.

0 Likes

Still working on installing older drivers because the first set from HP didn't even install

Trying another set they have for my model

but installed GPU-Z while looking, found out my graphics card from GPU-Z lookup

AMD Radeon Graphics 512SP Mobileimage.png

Your GPU-Z seems to indicate that your AMD Graphics driver is installed correctly with all the bottom API's correctly check marked plus showing all the data for your GPU card.

Does your laptop include a separate GPU Card by any chance?

Note: Run your HP Diagnostic to eliminate any obvious Hardware/Software issues in your laptop.

0 Likes

I ran all the updates in HP Support Assist. What was odd was that it got through most of the graphics driver installation, then the whole window just closed. I rebooted, and here is the new GPU-Z, but nothing is working. OBS and Streamlabs aren't even showing what is on my PS5 as a preview anymore. Video playback on VLC is not working. The screen is bright and a normal resolution, but nothing else.

I updated the BIOS and ran all the updates Support Assistant said I needed.

Do I need an older driver from the AMD site? I'm not sure how to find it.image.png

Did you run the HP Diagnostics to see if your laptop checks good. Most likely it will but it seems like you have a hardware issue.

The GPU-Z again shows that the AMD driver is installed correctly with all the appropriate APIs at the bottom check marked.

I don't believe it is an issue with the AMD driver since it seems to be installed correctly unless Device Manager is showing errors especially on the "Display" tab.

This is the way your Device  Manager should look like without any error:

Screenshot 2024-08-02 145609.png

It is possibly your HP Laptop Motherboard is having problems since it arose so quickly after working fine.

I would contact HP SUPPORT and if your laptop is under Warranty see if they recommend to RMA it to be checked.

Also make sure Windows didn't again install a different AMD driver via Windows Update.

You haven't changed any parameters on your GPU via Radeon Settings correct? like Overclocking or Underclocking the processor or GPU?.

NOTE: The AMD driver you installed is from AMD or HP?  I would try to install the HP OEM AMD driver first even if it is out-dated to see if it fixes your problem.  Since the HP AMD Driver is 100% compatible with your laptop.

0 Likes

I was busy all day so just getting a chance to work on this again.

I took the drastic approach did the "Reset this PC" in the recovery options. It seemed like a full reinstallation. I opted for deleting and cleaning everything. I backed things up, of course.

When I got to the desktop, I disabled auto driver install in update.

I tried playing a video, nothing. So, I went and installed the latest AMD drivers. Started a video, driver timeout error. Checked Event Viewer.

Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding

Laptop is out of warranty. What's your suggestion?

0 Likes

If you did a Reset of your PC which is basically reinstalling your Windows OS again and all you did was just disabled Windows Update for Drivers and installed the AMD driver and no other 3rd party apps and still have the same issue sounds like a hardware issue in my personal opinion.

At a Tech site that specializes in Windows OS Troubleshooting they mentioned that if you reinstalled the Windows OS and come up with issues that most likely it is a hardware issue since no 3rd party apps have been installed yet.

Actually doing a HP RECOVERY of your laptop would be better than doing a Windows Reset. The HP RECOVERY will completely redo all your Laptop's partitions and install all the original HP and Windows programs back to the way it was when you first purchase the laptop.

Found these several methods to Restore your HP Laptop or Windows OS from HP SUPPORT: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_5787612-5787757-16

The links are active in this cut and paste below (Not sure if your Laptop is supported or not):

Try using HP Consumer tool: HP CLOUD RECOVERY TOOL:

• HP Cloud Recovery Client or HP Cloud Recovery Tool

• Document: HP Business PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Client in Windows 11 and Windows 10 or HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10

• To launch from inside Windows: Requires a supported PC model, an internet connection, and a USB flash drive with a minimum of 16 GB storage.

• To launch from outside Windows: Not applicable.

• Estimated recovery time, dependent on PC specifications and connectivity speed: About 30 to 180 minutes to download (5 GB, dependent on internet speed). Additionally, up to 2 to 3 days of Microsoft quality and security updates including download and installation time (this time might vary depending on when the image was uploaded).

• Operating system: Restores the original software build from when the HP Image was uploaded.

• Drivers: The drivers are restored to the original software build from when the image was uploaded.

• User data (pictures, documents, music, videos, desktop shortcuts, and so on): Discards data. Create a backup before recovery.

• Personalized Windows settings: Need to reset.

• Store apps (HP preinstalled): Discards apps. Need to reinstall apps from Microsoft Store.

• Store apps (user preinstalled): Discards apps. Need to reinstall apps from Microsoft Store.

• Desktop apps (HP preinstalled): Discards apps. Need to reinstall from the HP website.

• Desktop apps (user preinstalled): Discards all user-installed desktop apps.

Found this previous HP SUPPORT concerning the same issue you are having with several Troubleshooting tips: https://support.hp.com/my-en/document/ish_3045059-2784109-16

Here is a more detailed from a Windows website concerning tips to fix your error: https://windowsreport.com/display-driver-amdwddmg-stopped-responding-and-has-successfully-recovered/

NOTE: You have performed many of the tips mentioned in both links including Resetting your PC.

If you continue to have issue after that then it is almost certain you have a hardware issue. Since you laptop is back to its original state when you first purchase it.

Both links above mentioned to check your System RAM MEMORY to see if it is defective that can cause that error to occur.  Either use Windows Memory Diagnostic or MEMTEST86 to check your RAM.

If you remove the AMD driver than the MS BASIC DISPLAY driver should automatically be installed. 

See if you issue get fixed with just Windows basic Graphic driver being used. If the same thing occurs than I would believe it might be a hardware issue.

0 Likes

Sorry for such a long reply.  I sometimes get carried away when troubleshooting a problem. I try to cover as much as possible to help the User which sometimes overwhelms them (-:  .

So just take your time and first perform the troubleshooting tips from the 2 links I posted. Both have almost identical troubleshooting tips but isn't the exact same tips.

Also make sure to run Windows Memory Diagnostic Test to check your laptop's RAM Memory. It is possible one stick in your laptop went bad causing the error with the AMD driver.

EDIT: Forgot to mention you might want to open a AMD SUPPORT TICKET and see what they suggest from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

Also open a HP SUPPORT ticket even though your laptop is not under Warranty any more. They might be able to determine if you have a software or hardware issue from your troubleshooting the issue.

0 Likes

I appreciate all the suggestions. I feel like if I could get the laptop to the state it was in when I bought it, all the problems would go away.

0 Likes

You might have a hardware issue with your IGPU or GPU card or possibly System RAM that the IGPU depends on using for it to function.

But I am out of suggestions. I still personally believe it is a hardware issue since your laptop was working fine for a long time and then on the same day as a Windows Update occurred you started having GPU issues. Could just be coincidence that the laptop started acting up at the same day.

If you reinstalled the HP AMD Driver and have the same issue it should have fixed your laptop.

Plus you did a Windows Reset and still have issues.

Hopefully the HP Recovery as a last resort should fix your laptop. But if it doesn't then it definitely is a hardware issue and not software.

Since the issue definitely occurs only when you have any AMD Driver version installed I would open a AMD SUPPORT Ticket to see if they believe your AMD Mobile processor might be defective. Even though I won't be under Warranty by AMD but through HP Warranty if it has one for its laptop processors.

Because all of your GPU-Z images seems to indicate that the AMD driver is correctly installed and working. Which is another reason why it might be a hardware issue.

Anyways, Good luck.

0 Likes

I haven't tried the HP Recovery yet, but the problem goes away when I switch to the basic display adapter. Granted, things run slower because it is a generic driver, but VLC starts working when all the AMD drivers are gone.

0 Likes

Automatic driver updates is disabled. 

I ran an AMD cleanup to install the graphics drivers from the support page for my laptop and nothing installs when I try any of them. Right now I am sitting in a Windows 11 with a basic display adapter setting and all the AMD stuff cleaned out trying to find an older driver, I assume.

Looking over other suggestions in your posts.

0 Likes