cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

BlueKingMuch
Journeyman III

HDR Signal different on AMD Desktop Cards than nVidia & Consoles?

ince beginning of 2022, i bought myself a new TV, a Samsung QE65QN95A, which i wanted to use with my Gaming PC with following Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D

GPU: AMD Radeon 6800

Driver: Adrenalin 22.6.1

Because I know that I wanted to use the TV with my AMD GPU, I specifically bought this TV also because it has a "Freesync Premium Pro" Label, which should guarantee compatibility.

But sadly, since the beginning i am not able to use HDR while in Gaming Mode of this TV, and Samsung also doesn't know why, because they had by themselves my TV picked up for Repair, and tried with a console (PS5), where HDR was recognized in Gaming Mode (they even sent me a Picture while the TV ran a Game in their Office with TV in Gaming Mode + HDR working).

So when I got the TV back from Samsung Service, i tried once more to activate HDR in Windows while the TV was in Gaming Mode, and it could be activated, but the TV wouldn't recognize the HDR Signal and the Panel stays in SDR Mode, which looks awful.

Since the TV worked in Samsung Service, i had the Idea that my GPU maybe was the problem, so I tried with my 2nd PC, which had Win 10 Pro installed and a 5700XT in it (used Driver: Adrenalin 22.4.2) .

But also with the 2nd Computer, it showed the same Issue: HDR not recognized by the TV, color looks awful.

So i called a Friend which has a Gaming Laptop with a nVidia Card in it (RTX 3070 Mobile) to come here and test, and to my surprise: HDR works in Gaming Mode with his Laptop! I could activate GSync Compatible and HDR, and HDR was recognized.

So I have now the Situation, that with Gaming Consoles and nVidia GPU's HDR is working properly, but not with 2 of my Computers with AMD Cards in it, and i am running out of Ideas.

There comes also the Idea, that maybe it could be a Driver Setting or Issue with it. I found also the Setting with Pixel Format and Bit Depth, but after trying all kinds of different combinations of it, i found out that it doesn't solve the Problem for me.

I got the Idea that maybe the HDR Signal is somehow different from Windows PC's with AMD Cards in it than Gaming consoles and nVidia GPUs.

Does anybody maybe had this Issue too?

0 Likes
9 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

What model is your TV + make and model of RX 6800?

What is the quality of your HDMI cable?

Thanks..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

The TV is a SAMSUNG QE65QN95A

The GPU is a Reference RX 6800 Card directly bought from amd.com

The Cable is an original HDMI 2.1 Certified PS5 3m Cable (with 48GBPs HDMI Ultra High Speed Certificate), althoug because i wanted to sort out cable Problems, i tried another HDMI 2.1 Cable (also with 48GBps HDMI Ultra High Speed Certification)

0 Likes

Have you seen this?

Solved: (QN90A) HDR not working with Game Mode on (Windows... - Samsung Community - 2112755

Have you gone into the game settings and set it to 4k res..

Do you have a monitor connected too, if so just try connecting to the TV alone.. Then setup Adrenalin to 10 bit 444.. Turn on HDR in windows..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

Sorry for late reply, yesterday i tried all out described in the SAMSUNG thread.

First of all, i disconnected my 2 additional DPI Monitors and tested with the TV only.

For Resolution, i only use the native Resolution of 4k, both in Windows , and also in Games (I use Forza Horizon 5 as test, as it is the only Game i have with HDR built in functionality)

I also made Sure to use 10 bit Pixel depth and 444 Pixel format.

I also made sure to activate the Input signal Plus Mode and to connect to Port 4 of the TV (as this is the HDMI 2.1 Port, it is also a "Gamepad" Symbol printed above the Port)

I tested 2 Computers with this setting: one with my Reference 6800 as described in first Post, and the other with following Specs:

CPU: AMD 3700X

GPU: Asrock RX 5700 XT Challenger D

I could activate HDR in Windows, but it wouldn't be recognized by the TV, so the Panel itself stays in SDR Mode, and the colors look awful.

Then directly, without changing anything on the TV, but only unplugging the HDMI cable from my Computer, and plug in my Friend's Laptop with a built in nVidia 3070 Mobile, the TV recognized HDR (even only in Desktop, without any Game running)

Therefore I think this has to do something with the HDR Signal output generally of AMD Desktop Cards.

0 Likes

That is strange as my Asus RX 6700 XT has no problems with HDR to my monitor or LG TV..

Maybe you have a bad card, I would send it for Warranty check/exchange..

0 Likes

If it would be only a bad card, it would work on my older RX 5700XT as i described, i have 2 Computers in my Room, both with AMD Cards (one with a RX 6800 and one with a RX5700XT), and both of them are not recognized as HDR in Gaming Mode nevertheless it is active in Windows.

First i thought this is a failure of TV, but as i described i had sent it in into Samsung Support, and they checked with a Gaming Console, where it worked.

Also it works when i connect the TV with my Friend's Laptop with a nVidia RTX 3070. Therefore i am relatively sure that it is not the TV's fault.

HDR only works on 2 of my Computers when i turn off Gaming Mode. But without Gaming Mode, i have no Freesync.

0 Likes

after you turn off Gaming mode, try turning on freesynk in the drivers without game mode on and see what happens. (Just a thought)

0 Likes

it is not possible, because when i turn off game mode on TV, the Freesync Slider is greyed out in Adrenalin Driver, so in normal TV Mode it is not supported.

0 Likes

As i've found several other Sources where User Report a Problem with Game Mode & HDR:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussions/U6ULbRHKaxHpVu1p/hdr-is-not-available-in-game-mode-with-pc-iss...

I searched for more Information, and found this thread:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/samsung-q90n-no-hdr-in-gaming-mode/td-p/4622146

there is a comment, where it is described that some have got success with a tool named "custom resolution utility", with following steps:

1.turn off game mode from TV settings

2. open CRU and edit Extension Blocks

3. delete the 24hz / 30hz Tv Resolutions

4. Add Freesync Range 48 - 120

5. Export CRU settings

6. Activate game mode from TV settings, open CRU and import the settings you just exported

7. Use restart64 from cru folder

and it WORKED! I now can use HDR in Gaming Mode.

In summary I think this is some sort of Handshake problem between AMD Driver and the TV, because with consoles and nvidia Cards it works out of the box, therefore i filed a Bug in AMD Adrenalin driver and linked this thread to it.

Hopefully the Driver Team can find out what exactly the problem is, because this workaround is somewhat annoying.

0 Likes