cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rawintellect
Challenger

Hardware acceleration bug is NOT fixed.

When hardware acceleration is turned on in chrome, steam, discord, Blizzard launcher or ANYTHING that uses it ANY game played will black screen forcing a hard reboot. With hardware acceleration off none of this occurs. Which is to say you have not fixed this particular bug. I know in the release notes it mentions a specific scenario of having a RX Vega  series card and running Folding@Home, but this is the same behavior that has existed for at least a full year now. Please address this.

Test this yourself. I have done clean installs with DDU and factory reset. Nothing was carried over from previous drivers. This bug is NOT fixed.

AMD, I'm a patient guy. Please do not say you've fixed something when you haven't. I realize you say you only fixed this specific case but I'm bringing this to your attention in hopes it will be universally addressed.

P.S. Enhanced sync has been broken since you turned it off in game profiles in 19.xx.x, It can be turned on, but will reset itself to off upon rebooting the computer. Also note enhanced sync is off when I'm testing the aforementioned black screen issue. So it's NOT enhanced sync causing the black screens.

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Powercolor Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil Overclocked Triple-Fan 8GB 
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit 1909
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 20.4.2 

• Display Devices
    • Make and model, connection/adapter in use, resolution and refresh rate; e.g. ASUS MG248QR 1900x1080 @144Hz 
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • ROG Strix X399-E Gaming American Megatrends Bios Version 1203
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Antec HCP1000 Platinum Power Supply 1000 Watts

• RAM
    • 64GB
13 Replies
mickeekung
Challenger

Re: Hardware acceleration bug is NOT fixed.

In my case, I have the same issue as you, but someone said I have old PSU. Is the old PSU can cause the black screen and freeze too?

0 Likes
rawintellect
Challenger

I seriously doubt it's my power supply. It's 1000 watts. But you didn't say what PSU you had?

accn
Elite

It’s definitely not psu, I’ve tried 3 different psu's since the purchase of rx 5700 and all possible combinations of power connection. The problem is that the driver somehow conflicts with the operating system, or some software that causes the driver to fail. A system that is stable in stress tests can hang in light games that do not even load the graphics card. It's just funny when I can play for several hours in cod warzone, and then get a black screen in a 2D game on unity, or in csgo in which the system is almost idle. Perhaps the driver also conflicts with certain combinations of hardware, but this does not cancel the fact that this hardware works without errors separately from this videocard and driver. Why amd can not contact some users who are experiencing these problems, so that they provide their pc, and amd could debug the problem, and understand what could conflict by analogy and fix it?

mickeekung
Challenger

Yes, you're right. I have tried many different kind of stress test and the system is normal with no black screen/blue screen/freeze issue. But when I play games, somehow black screen and freeze happen in random. 

0 Likes
accn
Elite

By the way, since the moment of using rx 5700, I have been observing a lag when switching viewing modes on youtube, for example, from normal to full-screen, and also when scrolling through comments. There are no such problems even on my 10 year old PC at work

0 Likes
toshi_ltd
Adept I

Have they acknowledged this issue? not knowing how to fix this issue is the most annoying thing!

0 Likes
donwel
Adept I

They are "monitoring" it. I've been having this problem with Radeon VII since the 2020 update released back in November/December. While it does seem slightly more stable now on 20.4.2, I still get blackscreen and crashes on certain software. As far as I know there's no general fix and I haven't seen an update from AMD saying that one is on the way.

One thing that has helped mitigate the crashes is turning off hardware acceleration on my web browser, as I always had system hangs and crashes when watching videos online. As for games, it's just a pot luck really, some work fine others not so much.

osulf
Adept I

i have this problem and many others with the ultimate Radeon Software, APPCRASH's, BSOD (system Service Exception), Drivers Crashes.... i don't know if they release a new GPU with all this issues and bugs and even drivers certifications with Windows who sometimes doesn't recognize the drivers or updates... it's so frustrating, i spend a lot of money thinking in a good and the best product and i receive this. I try all the tipes of configurations of the Drivers and of my SO and Bios and nothing, i have a thread with my issues and specifications of my PC, (https://community.amd.com/thread/252321
am just until now...disapointed from AMD

rainingtacco
Elite

Try a different monitor and see if it helps. I also encounters some black screens in HA applications. Thankfully i only need to turn on the monitor again. 

0 Likes