cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

andkatsaras
Adept II

GPU Drivers 23.3.2 Still causing crashes

PLEASE READ THOUGH THE ENTIRE THING CAUSE I'M KINDA DESPERATE TO FIND A SOLUTION!!!!!!

A few months back, when the first 2023 GPU drivers came out the 23.2.2 version, I install them over my 22.11.2 drivers. Before that I never ever ever experienced any issues with my system. No crashes, no overheating, absolutely nothing strange. After installing the 23.2.2 GPU drivers when I am gaming and more specifically Witcher 3, the entire computer started crashing, giving me a black screen and le LEDs on the MOBO were going to Orange, the Red the Green and stay there and the compute never booted again. I had to shut down the computer with the power button, then turn it on again, and the try to play the game like before but after 5-10 minutes of gaming the pc continued to do the exact same thing every single time. At first I thought that it couldn't be the drivers so I started troubleshooting my entire pc. The problem was never solved and thus I started searching online for people with similar problems and what they did about it. I found out that a lot of people had the same or similar problems and that the reason was the drivers. So by following some advises online, I did clean boot of my compute, I disinstalled the 23.2.2 drivers, I installed back the 22.11.2 drivers and the problem was solved. No problems since.

Now, March 2023 AMD releases the 23.3.2 GPU drivers. This time I went online first to check if the people who installed the new drivers had any issues. People's opinions seem to be very postive at first but I said I'll wait a little bit to see what happens. More than a week later, the reviews kept being positive about the new drivers and I decided to install them. I installed the 23.3.2 GPU drivers for my 6900 XT and then I started gaming (Always Witcher 3, New gen patch 4.02). The game crashes after 19 minutes of gaming and the computer does EXACLTY the same thing that it did when I installed the 23.2.2 drivers. I do the same thing as before, meaning I disinstalled the 23.3.2 drivers and install back the 22.11.2 drivers and the problem is solved again. No problems what so ever.

Note that during the crashed the GPU and CPU stay well below 60 degrees C, around 55 and 52-53 respectively. I don't overclock at all neither the GPU nor the CPU, mostly because I don't know how to overclock properly so I prefer to not mess with that since I don't know what I am doinga and I play on 1440p ultra settings. Power draw is around 270-275W on the GPU and about 100-105 W on the CPU.

Can PLEASE anyone explain to me what is wrong with my computer? I know that many of you will suggest "just keep the old drivers and it will be ok" but I would like to install the new ones since the provide support for the new games that were released and I want to play i.e RE4 remake and TLOU part I. If anyone had the same problem, and still has or found a solution please like and comment.

Computer part list:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor 

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 

MOBO: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard 

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory 

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive 

GPU: Asus TUF GAMING OC Radeon RX 6900 XT 16 GB Video Card 

Case: NZXT H7 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case 

PSU: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 

Monitor: ASUS TUF 27.3 inche 1440p 144Hz (single monitor)

14 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

update mb bios, test your ram with memtest86. install latest chipset drivers, update windows 10, use ddu to remove gpu driver and install it again.

samsung ssds did have some problem so you can update update firmware if you did not.

if you are sure problem is gpu driver v23.3.2 you can try v23.3.1. I did not have problems with v23.3.1.

try to disable xmp or use other xmp profile

I did have only one freez with v23.3.2 but I do not know if gpu driver is to blame.

Witcher 3 next gen update have problems so disable or lower new video settings.

0 Likes

Maybe you are not going to believe me but I did every single thing you just mentioned and more. The problem was solved only after re-installing the old rivers back. I even tried the 23.3.1 abd 23.2.1 and 23.2.2 version but the computer just doesn't seem to like 2023 drivers at all. I don't know what could be the problem but I tried everything so fare and the only time I get this issue it's when I install the latest drivers

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did have problems with witcher 3 next gen update so I will wait for future updates and try again.

some users did report texture problems with v23.3.2 in red dead  redemption 2.

0 Likes

I don't play any other games to be honest. I never thought that it could be the game its self since I don't experience any problems with the new patch on the old gpu drivers. So I could point out if the game could be a problem but I shall try playing something else and see what happens

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

ofc problem can be in game and every update can introduce new problem.

you can find many reports on internet about witcher3 crashing since next gen update.

0 Likes

None of that works, it's the stupid driver. 22.11.2 has NO issues like 23.x.x does. It's not hardware it's the stupid garbage driver that amd churns out without testing 

0 Likes
PhtevenKing
Journeyman III

I have exactly the same problem here! All new 2023 Drivers keeps crashing and freezing for me. I also tried everything and the only solution yet is to roll it back to the last 2022 driver...

I have a RX 6700 XT and Ryzen 5 7600X

0 Likes
skoddy84
Adept I

OK so I had the same issues but my Problem is with MW2. I play rank and I might play 2 games or even 3 then I freeze and the PC shuts off. I did a lot of research and some ppl say turn off Windows Defender and reinstall drivers. Well AMD had the update and I uninstalled the AMD drivers and I reinstalled the newest update but instead of the Full download I did the drivers only. The Full version adds bloatware which you don't really need unless you want to overclock. But my game stopped crashing and I played all night for a few days . I wanted to monitor my GPU temps and other stuff so I reinstalled the AMD Adrenalin Edition just to see if it would work and wouldn't you know, it crashed again. So this time I uninstalled  and reinstalled adrenaline but just the minimal version and so far no crashing but I can't do everything I want.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700x

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A Air Cooler

MB: ASUS ROG Strix B650-A

RAM: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL 26

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 SSD

GPU: XFX Speedster MERC310 AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT 20GB GDDR6

PSU: Corsair RMX series (2021) RM 1000x, 100 Watt

Case: Nothing special just a THERMALTAKE ARGB ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Samsung 28" Odyssey G70A 144Hz

0 Likes
mirich
Adept I

I had the a black screen issue while gaming, sound remains and I have to manually reset my system. On reboot my driver wont start and I'd have to reinstall it. Turned out that windows update is overwriting the new drivers with old drivers, so I disabled it. To do that go to search bar and type "Change Device Installation Settings" check no and save.

Hope it helps you.

0 Likes
AaronG
Journeyman III

I have exactly the same with any driver after 11.22.22, only I don't have a problem with games, I have a problem with arbitrary monitor awakening, every 2 minutes, problems started with drivers that were released in 2023, the problem has not yet been solved. Updated bios, chipset, there are the latest Windows updates, nothing helps except a rollback on 11.22.12.

0 Likes
Tuhosilppuri
Adept I

I haven't had this issue in Windows 10, but yesterday I updated to Windows 11 (clean install) and these problems arrived. Some games work, but Cyberpunk & Deep Rock Galactic at least seem to cause this. As for my specs, I'm running 5800X3D and 7900 XTX. What catched my eye was that we have the same amount of RAM, I think the same PSU as well as the same monitor (VG27AQ ?). The monitor has misbehaved earlier as well on my system, causing driver hangups etc. Right now my idea is probably to reinstall Windows 10.

0 Likes

Also forgot to mention but if I have heard correctly, I almost hear a snapping sound from the computer when the crash happens. Like a relay snapping or something. Might not have anything to do with it.

0 Likes
Papazachos
Adept II

23.x.x are GARBAGE. rolling back to 22.11.2 and solved all my issues, pc crashed when monitor turned off cause of inactivity

0 Likes
Mvrtxn
Journeyman III

same here

0 Likes