Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

BigFeef
Journeyman III

Games crashing leading to a black screen

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200mhz (D.O.C.P enabled, set at 2666mhz as it is stable with my cpu)

Motherboard: PRIME B350-PLUS

GPU: MSI RX470 Armor 4GB OC

PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 80+ Gold, Model:L11-500w

Storage:
Sandisk Plus 120gb (my old old boot drive in MBR)
Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD (trying to use as my new boot drive in GPT)
1TB HDD (Game installations)
500GB HDD (other programs)

Left monitor: ASUS VS228-P 60hz (connected by display port to hdmi)
Right monitor: Acer SB230 75hz

When playing games, games crash, both monitors go black, main monitor comes back with crash error of the game saying that something happened and the game closed. It doesnt matter what game it is, minecraft, fortnite, deep rock galactic, no man's sky, they all crash somewhere between a few minutes to a few hours. It's a gamble of when it will crash.

However I do get bug report tool pop up from these games and sometimes i do get some sort of crash report but they are all different which requires me to restart my computer.

Bug reports here: https://imgur.com/a/gmou9yq

I've only gotten one blue screen and i have a mini dump file here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/l5daizgua2vsv8b/MiniDump.zip/file

WhoCrashed reports a VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR with driver amdkmdag.sys (amdkmdag+0x1502B5) and watchdog.sys (watchdog+0x3AD0) being affected.

My gpu sits at aound 65 degrees celsius when under load and the wattage is at around 85 watts when playing games. Pretty much set as the default settings in the radeon software.

Things I've done to fix but did not solve the issue:

• Uninstall drivers using DDU and installing driver 23.4.1.
  • Uninstall drivers using DDU and installing older drivers which caused green corruption lines appearing on both monitors. I managed to fix them by factory resetting the gpu in the Radeon software
  • Disabled Multiplane Overlay
  • Re-installedd windows
  • There was another driver update 23.4.2 but that did not change anything.
  • Prevented windows from installing it's own drivers.
  • Paused windows updates
  • Uninstalled MSI Afterburner and HWInfo64.
  •  

It has been 4 weeks now and I don't have another system to test out parts nor can I afford another card. I would really appreciate any help.

0 Likes
7 Replies
jsk68
Challenger

Have you tried running just 1 monitor ?

0 Likes
BigFeef
Journeyman III

I haven't. I have tried switching the primary monitor and whichever is set to the primary, that one comes back after the black screen.

0 Likes

I'd try running just 1, I've seen crashes related to freesync and the cure was to disable it, maybe the mismatched refresh rates aren't playing well with your card.

Have you tried setting refresh to 60 for both monitors?

0 Likes
BigFeef
Journeyman III

the acer monitor has freesynce enabled. i did set both to 60hz. that crashed. I will have to try with one monitor at a time and freesync off

0 Likes
BigFeef
Journeyman III

So I have disabled freesync in the radeon software and that seemed to work for a couple of days. Almost a week. I knew that in the back of my head it will happen again. it was just matter of time. But i thought i was i was in the clear. And then it happened again. same radeon bug error. trying to open radeon ssoftware says that windows update may have automatically replaced your amd graphics driver.

0 Likes
Darkenend
Adept I

I had something similar happen to me, but the screens never came back. I have sent back my 6950 XT.

0 Likes

It could be a combination of gpu itself, software, and windows just messing it all up. And i can't get another gpu. so i'm basically boned and trying my hardest to fix it.

0 Likes