cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

silentgame
Adept II

Fluid Motion Frames Dec. 8 Driver Screen Tearing

The latest 23.30.13.05 FMF driver for me is causing a lot of screen tearing/blurring in games even when in the Freesync range of my monitors.  I tried on 4K 120hz monitor and another 1440p 144hz monitor and both have this issue.  The last time I really played with FMF was back on Octobers drivers.  I don't really remember any screen tearing on that driver.  I don't still have that driver downloaded so I can't really go back to it to see if it works better than the latest and can't find a link to download it again.  I have tried the November driver and still get screen tearing with that one as well, don't remember if it worked correctly before or not.  Games I've tried so far with this latest FMF driver are Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Mirage, Elden Ring with unlocked framerate, Starfield, Alan Wake 2, and Lords of the Fallen.  All have varying amounts of screen tearing and blur especially when moving sideways or when the camera follows you as you move around in the world.  There is also screen tearing, blurring when just moving straight forward, mostly toward the bottom and sides of the screen.   Just standing still and moving the mouse there really is no problems at all though.  Thanks for reading.

Edit: Forgot to mention I am on a RX 6900xt

0 Likes
1 Solution
silentgame
Adept II

Just updated to the latest January 23.40.01.10 Fluid Motion Frames driver and for me the screen tearing is not happening anymore when the frame rates are within the Freesync range of my monitor.  I am getting a bit of hitching/slight pause when some actions happen for the first time with this driver though, probably just the shader caching, not a big deal really.  So this issue is solved for me, thanks to the AMD driver team.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
silentgame
Adept II

Played allittle bit more with FMF, and really the only games where there's excessive tearing and blur is Elden Ring unlocked fps, and Starfield.  The rest I've tried after changing some in game settings to get a very high framerate played well.

0 Likes
silentgame
Adept II

Just updated to the latest January 23.40.01.10 Fluid Motion Frames driver and for me the screen tearing is not happening anymore when the frame rates are within the Freesync range of my monitor.  I am getting a bit of hitching/slight pause when some actions happen for the first time with this driver though, probably just the shader caching, not a big deal really.  So this issue is solved for me, thanks to the AMD driver team.

0 Likes
oese
Adept I

I still get some stutter/tearing when FPS is over my freesync range. I only got 120 fps Monitor so thats pretty often with FMF.

The Monitor must dump frames or the frame is exchange during display whats causing this.

Besides this issue I must say the FMF has matured very well so far. Now frame times are even. It is much better. But could there be a function to limit FPS to freesync max fps?

I wonder could AMD implement a FPS cap that acts behind FMF frame generation?

0 Likes

You can cap the framerate with msi afterburner's rivatuner statistics but you have to set it to half of what you want.  I also have a 120hz monitor and setting the cap to 59 results in a 118 cap which works well.  Frame gen pretty much just skips a frame so that causes all monitoring software except for adrenalines to report half of what you are actually getting.  I still notice a little tearing inside my freesync range after playing more but its tons better now after the update.  Also I try and set in game settings so that I get close to 120fps with fmf, but I too as well go above it often.

0 Likes
blade888
Adept I

Yes I also notice heavy screen tearing with FMF. FMF forces any vsync setting off in game or in driver regardless of what it's set to. Even when setting frame limits to match the monitor Hz, there's still tearing.

(I.e. running a monitor at 4k@60Hz on 7900XTX, 120-140 fps with FMF on forcing vsync off)

I'm all for more frames and the tech is great, but no point rendering more frames if they are visually unusable or chopped in half.

0 Likes
Cerberus9000
Journeyman III

hello, everyone i`m using driver 24.1.1 in my RX 7600 and my solution was to disable radeon image sharpening, worked on cyberpunk 2077 and i kept fluid motion active like the photoradeon cyber.png

0 Likes
Klaceyes
Adept I

I got a 6950xt and i play exclusively without vsync, any image synchronization in-game or screen features like freesync or whatever, and mostly games set on minimal to have the most fps i can possibly have.

I'm playing these days on Battlefield I and even if i can easily stand a constant 250fps when everything explodes around me with the game set on ultra, and usually sticking around my monitor refresh rate of 360Hz, i get screen artifacts all the time.

Same happens on an "extreme" fps testing, on modern warfare 3 in the warzone map, with FSR 3 + frame generation on and sticking to more than 600 up to 800fps, i get screen tearing.

I'll add that only the amd antilag is on, and recently i started to try with the super resolution thing set to 85% and an in-game resolution of 1600x900 to be upscaled to 1080p and that whatever i remove from my settings on amd or in-game those artifacts appears.

I think the tech is still too young to have a constant and stable use, especially knowing how AMD handle it's updates and software problems (i got so many in the past year with my gpu that it's ridiculous).