cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Firewire card causing BSOD

Hi there,

I have been trying to resolve a crashing issue with the Windows support team, details of which I'll copy paste below. The response from them was that the chipset on my motherboard (B550) was causing the crash to occur, hence I thought I would try to get some resolution here.

Please let me know if there are any BIOS settings I should change if any, or if there are any other steps I can take to get my Firewire card (and the audio interface that's attached to it) working again. I'm happy to post crash dumps etc. if needed.

Thanks

-------------------------------------

ORIGINAL MESSAGE TO MICROSOFT

-------------------------------------

I have recently encountered an issue where using an outboard sound card (Profire 610) via Firewire creates an instant BSOD with the error message WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. My system is a Ryzen 5 3rd Gen (specs below). I have used both the Firewire card together with the Profire on a previous (much older Intel) system with no issues.

The Firewire card and the Profire both seem to work fine, they appear in the Device manager without any errors. The Profire's driver screen identifies that it is on and connected, and the volume meters even respond when I plug in a microphone and test the levels.

It is not until I try to make a sound that the BSOD occurs. This includes audio via web browser (Youtube), playing system sounds in the sound settings, and running music software and plugins. The other thing that prompts a BSOD is trying to uninstall the Firewire driver or switch it over to the legacy driver. This happens every single time.

Other than this, my system is basically rock solid. The CPU, GPU and RAM are all running stable.

It seems like this is probably some kind of conflict between the Firewire card and something in the OS or the AMD chipset, but I'm at a loss as to what it could be.

I am happy to give any information you need to diagnose the problem.

Cheers!

------------

SYSTEM

------------

Summary
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Matisse 7nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1599MHz (22-22-22-53)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME B550M-K (AM4)
Graphics
Acer KG271 (1920x1080@75Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER (MSI)
Storage
931GB Crucial CT1000MX500SSD1 (SATA (SSD))

0 Likes
3 Replies
EdwardKrayer
Journeyman III

Just so you know you're not crazy, I'm having the exact same issue, with a ProFire 610. Was previously used with an i7-4790k, no issues there.

0 Likes
MrPhixit
Journeyman III

Same problem here. BSOD in both 1700x with MSI b350 and 5600 with MSI B550. Asus forums has a few post and there are a few more on music production forums. Would love to get a solution.

0 Likes

finding information about the ProFire 610 from M-Audio it is considered to be legacy hardware. Going to M-Audio Support to download the ProFire 610 driver it only has drivers from Windows 7 and older. None for Windows 8 or newer including Windows 10 & 11: https://m-audio.com/support/drivers-search

Screenshot 2024-02-19 221816.png

So if you are using the Windows 7 ProFire 610 driver then is seems like it isn't compatible with Windows 10/11 OS.

Or there is a conflict with a Windows 10/11 driver that is installed.

First what does Device Manager show for the ProFire 610? Any errors in any categories in Device Manager?

You mentioned that everything checks good until you actually activate and the ProFire 620. When you connect the microphone to the unit what does Windows Sound Panel show?

Windows Sound Panel will show which driver the ProFire 610 is using. Plus you can try to minimize the Microphone's sensitivity and other parameters to see if it will prevent BSODs.

Not sure if you can run the ProFire 610 in Windows Safe Mode. But I would go into Windows Safe Mode and activate the Profire 610 and see if it crashes your PC. If it doesn't then you will know it is possibly a 3rd party driver in conflict with the 610 driver.

If the ProFire 610 doesn't work in Safe Mode then try using a Clean Windows Desktop which is basically disabling all 3rd party startups programs and drivers except Microsoft driver. Simple to do and undo: How to perform a clean boot in Windows 

When disabling the 3rd party startup and  drivers leave the 610 driver enabled.

Another good troubleshooting method is by enabling Windows Driver verifier. This will show you which driver is causing the PC to crash.

NOTE: Tech site on how to fix the BSOD error you are getting: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-whea-uncorrectable-error-windows-10/

This tech site shows you how to use Driver Verifier and two other methods to check bad drivers in Windows: https://www.itechtics.com/2-ways-check-bad-drivers-windows/

0 Likes