cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

phxrider
Adept II

Far Cry 6 frequent crashes with 24.6.1 and 24.7.1

Fry Cry 6 crashes consistently with 24.6.1 and 24.7.1. Rolling back to 24.5.1 seems to have fixed it, and also performs noticeably better with AFMF and seems to have picked up a few FPS in Starfield too. Since these are both "AMD games" I would expect them to perform well and run stably.

6 Replies
phxrider
Adept II

I probably should have mentioned, this is on 7900 XTX and 7900 XT.

0 Likes
phxrider
Adept II

This is for AMD so that someone might look into it.

I have done this on 2 systems now, this process seems to work to fix it:

1. Downgrade to 24.5.1 with the Factory Reset box checked. Reboot if prompted, otherwise just continue.

2. Run Adrenaline and do whatever setup you would normally do in there for games, etc.

3. Reboot

4. Upgrade to 24.7.1, do only an upgrade.  Do not uninstall previous drivers, do not use Factory Reset in the installer, do not use DDU.

5. Reboot when install is complete, before testing.

I have no idea why this would work, other than to speculate that something in the installer is borked and maybe an internal setting is getting set wrong in a clean install that would import a previous setting when doing an upgrade? I had major issues when installing "clean" after a factory reset (box checked in the installer), but it works fine as an upgrade from 24.5.1. I suspect 24.6.1 has the same issue, downgrading to that had no effect, but downgrading to 24.5.1 got rid of all crashes.

This is "so far", but the clean install would crash within 5-30 minutes, and I can now play it for up to 2 hours without a crash - I didn't test longer than that.

0 Likes
atmosphere
Challenger

Did you previously use a public preview or bèta driver? 

If so please uninstall the preview driver prior to updating 24.6.x or 24.7.x

Check windowsupdates from safemode or cmd safemode.

0 Likes

No. And on top of it, I reinstalled Windows a week or so ago (for unrelated reasons). And yes, FC6 did crash before reinstalling Windows.

0 Likes
phxrider
Adept II

Oh well, so much for my downgrade then upgrade "solution". Longer testing still has it crashing periodically.

This DID fix the frequency of crashes after upgrading from 24.6.1 to 24.7.1, then it would crash in like 5 minutes of play. Now it's more "normal" for FC6, I get an hour give or take before the game crashes. If you go from 24.6.1 to 24.7.1 and any games suddenly crash more than they did, try it.

Reverting to 24.5.1 still has the issue, I either got lucky at first or just didn't test over enough time. So, back to 24.7.1 it is, if FC6 is going to crash anyway, I might as well be on the latest driver.

I don't remember this being an issue when I had my 6800XT (RDNA 2). The performance of RDNA 3 is great, but stability has taken a hit.

0 Likes

I have a similar issue since installing driver version 24.6.1

At first, i could play for a good while. Then my game started having random CTDs and freezes combined with AMD driver crashes. Then it got so bad that my PC even started having bluescreens. 

and then it got to a point, where my PC would go into a bluescreen 10 seconds after booting. I was honestly scared that somehow my hardware got borked.  I did SFC /scannow and since then didn't touch that game anymore. Seems to be fine for now. hoping for a fix... 

0 Likes