cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ace9ner
Adept I

Fallout New Vegas no hair or beards on 24.1.1

I downloaded this driver and all characters were now bald and beardless. I reinstalled the game with no mods to double check. Still no hair or beards. When I rolled back to previous drivers, the problem was solved. Can anyone else check to see if this is an issue? I had at least one person on Reddit who did.

2 Solutions

Confirming it works, thank you very much. That wiki wasted my time, i'm sorry to say. 

I have a simplified version, a tutorial. 

Fallout new vegas is DirectX9, 32 bit. Make sure you have optimized it with mods first! (stewie tweaks, tick fix, new vegas anticrash, maybe even OneTweak)

1. download dxvk-2.3 (which is currently the latest version) on github (google)

2. Open (with 7-zip.), choose 32 bit.

3. Cut/Copy and paste into Fallout New Vegas directory (im not sure whether it is in "Data" folder or where the exe is. (i did both lol, got no time for dis)

Bonus: I think putting my video card memory in steam launch options (in properties) helped with performance here is what you paste in "-availablevidmem:{your videocard memory} -nomemrestrict -norestrictions

View solution in original post

Your post is awesome but didn't fix the issue for me. For anyone still having issues please do follow the above (My game loads like I'm onboard the fricking Enterprise in StarTrek now!) Though also use https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34778/? and install after installing the above.

Install dxvk-2.3 first and then Nvidia d3d9 perf fix, this still works with AMD cards just fine.

Now everyone is cancer free and has hair, yay! =D

View solution in original post

27 Replies
Robot-Gopher
Adept I

Why not just play with old driver maybe Verify Integrity of Game Files. what gpu and cpu do you have?

Because I want fluid frames on my other games?  It's a fresh install...? you don't need to verify files on a fresh install.

I have an Intel i7- 11700k and an AMD 7900xtx

icheatiwin01
Journeyman III

i thought i was the only one! i just buy Fallout New Vegas and same AMD Driver 24.1.1 No hair and all

Robot-Gopher
Adept I

Did you go to the game folder and delete every thing in the game instill location. then you installed the game.

Yes. Deleted the game folder, mod folder, mod archives, documents, ini's. This is not my first rodeo modding a game. The only solution was a rollback of drivers. I'm not looking for help fixing this, I'm looking for anyone else that has the ability to double check my findings and report so it can be patched.

Deitronn
Journeyman III

you're lucky, my game wont even open with the new drivers, i dont know how amd can broke so many games with their updates, when i roll back to 23.12.1 everything is fine

Me too, both FNV and F3 crash upon trying to load a save, or trying to start a new game.

Rolling back seems to be the only reliably working option. As the 24.2.1 driver version still crashes the game upon pressing load or continue.

Skreed
Journeyman III

I can confirm. The 24.1.1 driver breaks Fallout New Vegas. No hair on player or NPC's.

RX 7900 XT
Ryzen 7 7800 X3D
Windows 11

**bleep**, now I'm extra bummed, I wanted to play this again for so long, hardly had the time this weekend, and when I finally do, it's broken to **bleep**. Has anyone found a fix to this? Is there some way to download an older version without rolling back the update? I had to call tech earlier because my computer kept restarting, going black screen, shutting off the internet, etc. because my driver wasn't up to date.

itsJMF
Journeyman III

I've also faced this issue, although it's just a workaround, I got it working by using DXVK.
If you want to know a bit more about DXVK there's a great wiki over at
https://performance.moddinglinked.com/falloutnv.html 
But the most basic thing is that DXVK is a translation layer from D3D to Vulkan.

I deployed DXVK and also OneTweak (explained on the Enabling Flip Model section)
and while I see the occasional visual glitch here and there, characters have hair finally!

Hope this helps, fellow Couriers!

Intel i5-12400F
RX 7800 XT
Windows 11

I'll give this a try soon! Thanks for the tip

This works! Unfortunately it got rid of my shader.

Confirming it works, thank you very much. That wiki wasted my time, i'm sorry to say. 

I have a simplified version, a tutorial. 

Fallout new vegas is DirectX9, 32 bit. Make sure you have optimized it with mods first! (stewie tweaks, tick fix, new vegas anticrash, maybe even OneTweak)

1. download dxvk-2.3 (which is currently the latest version) on github (google)

2. Open (with 7-zip.), choose 32 bit.

3. Cut/Copy and paste into Fallout New Vegas directory (im not sure whether it is in "Data" folder or where the exe is. (i did both lol, got no time for dis)

Bonus: I think putting my video card memory in steam launch options (in properties) helped with performance here is what you paste in "-availablevidmem:{your videocard memory} -nomemrestrict -norestrictions

yes it works, but if you want to put enb in nv you encounter the same problem because you have to use the enb d3d9.dll file and that cause all the problems. and if you put the d3d9.dll file from dxvk of course it doesn't work because is not enb ready :=(...there are any solution for enb users? 

LWD
Journeyman III

found a fix for it after hours and hours of pain...i uninstalled all my gpu drivers (i have an rx 7900 xtx) with DDU and i have installed the amd adrenaline edition PRO drivers and it worked like a charm...all my char have hairs and beards and i can use enb. i have also reinstalled my direct x drivers, i don't know if it helped or not but make a try if you have my same problem. also make sure to install all the recomended mods for the new vegas engine for stability and lag fix (like NVTF, NVAC, YUP)

with the pro drivers i can't use the amd frame generator but if you want to play new vegas is irrelevant because it uses dx9. it's a shame that you have to do all this and sacrifice the frame generator feature only for play New Vegas right. 

Your post is awesome but didn't fix the issue for me. For anyone still having issues please do follow the above (My game loads like I'm onboard the fricking Enterprise in StarTrek now!) Though also use https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34778/? and install after installing the above.

Install dxvk-2.3 first and then Nvidia d3d9 perf fix, this still works with AMD cards just fine.

Now everyone is cancer free and has hair, yay! =D

Thank you so much, this finally fixed the issue for me! Doing just dratsab's fix made the game insanely slow for some reason, but this fixed it.

This did not work for me The game does not even start up. I downloaded dxvk-2.3 and installed Nvidia d3d9 manually. It replaced the file and I started it up. Nothing starts up.

I installed it through Nexus Mod Manager aswell, but it seems to just give a black screen and crash instantly. Any solutions?

https://youtu.be/WfA-7a2TiiY - Made a video to show what happens now

0 Likes

I removed the DX9 file New Vegas starts up and I press New and it instantly CTDs. I have only installed the required files no extra's, no different stuff. I cleaned up my whole folder. Purged mod links and cleaned them, but still no budge. 

It is extremely frustrating to say the least as people keep telling me to play this game, but it never, ever works

When You're saying choose 32-bit is there a particular file you're speaking of? Downloading dxvk-2.3 it's multiple files and moving that folder into the main folder for FNV didn't solve my issue. 

You don't move the whole 32x file into your Fallout directory— you copy all of the .dll files from that folder and paste them into the Fallout: New Vegas folder. When I did this, my game became insanely laggy, so if this happens for you, go here: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34778/? and download that .dll file. Then paste that .dll file into the same Fallout New Vegas folder and click overwrite.

Thanks,

Thank you, your solution worked for me. I extracted the DLLs from the 32-bit folder into the game folder where the executable is located.

I apologize for my English; I am French. I asked for help from the Edge AI. Thank you again for your tutorial.

I’m confused could someone make a video explaining I’m mentally challenged so a visual aid helps a lot with this kinda stuff I’m sorry I’m encountering the same issue and I’m on the newest driver I have all the stuff installed I’m just really confused 

0 Likes
belhariry92
Journeyman III

Same issue. I don't want to fuss with all this. I'm about to check if this impacts any other Bethesda games.

dratsab
Journeyman III

I too, confirm, that this is a problem. 

I can switch between drivers, just like I can switch between crashing on the new and not crashing on the older driver.  

AMD RADEON 6800 XT, 13th gen intel (r) core (TM) i7-13700KF, windows 11 

Hope we're not crying in the rain, pals.

kriksB
Journeyman III

For anyone still struggling with this, just installing the nvidia fix and skipping the dxvk file worked for me.

0 Likes