cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Aaxion
Journeyman III

DX12 Issues need to be fixed ASAP

I took a chance and bought AMD this time around after being intel/nvidia for years.  When it works it is great, however there are too many instances where AMD is not playing well with many games I play and each one requires a work around that has something to do with DX12 being the root of the issue.  It's not my PC as I've troubleshooted all my parts with my old PC which ran everything fine.  Old PC was an i7 with a 3070ti.  New PC is AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3D with a 7900 XTX which again runs some games very well.  The common problem after a lot of research is simply DirectX 12.  As soon as you enable DirectX 11 the crashes stop, which wouldn't be too much of a problem but it comes with a hefty drop in performance and end-users should never have to alter their games just to play.  Helldivers 2, World of Warcraft, Monster Hunter World, Elden Ring, and many more you can literally do a Google search and see others having the same problems across a wide array of games these are just the ones I have problems on.  AGAIN as soon as you enable DirectX 11 the crashes go away.

Let me be very clear, there is NO WAY you do not know about these issues and if you don't fix these issues then your brand WILL die.  I myself will be going back to Nvidia as soon as the new cards are released if this is not fixed, I do not want to but by then this problem will have been going on for a year or so.  Unacceptable end-user experience.

Edit: Yes I've tried DDU and AMD Cleanup Utilitywith fresh install. Yes I've tried older drivers. Yes I've ran sfc /scannow.  Yes I've repaired configs.  Yes I've tried disabling all overclocking and enhancements inside of Adrenaline Software.  Yes I've tried capping my fps to 165 which is my monitor's refresh rate.  Yes I've adjusted other in-game settings from low all the way to ultra and disabling all the options.  I've been trying to get this to work for months and now I can't even return the card because I thought "there's no way I can't figure out how to make this work."

6 Replies

[Double post]

0 Likes
BigBeard
Adept II

I think the driver issues are even wider than DX12. After a couple of months of issues, installing any AMD graphics driver bricked my PC with a 6900 XT card. I was forced to buy a new card from a well-known competetitor just to get my PC back up and running. It wasn't even a choice. Before the driver updates rendered my 6900 XT unusable, I was very happy with the performance so I wouldn't have bought a new card for a thousand bucks if it had still been usable. 

0 Likes
Draxirch
Challenger

Like I've been saying from the getgo.

AMD, The Direct X12 issues are NOT small, it's very widespread. Please PRIORITIZE fixing this!

I have been begging them to fix it since NOVEMBER... I can only hope my words are not empty.

mr_feist
Adept I

It is absolutely disgusting that they'd rather pretend they do not exist rather than recognize them, even if they do not have an ETA for fixes. It's been well over a year of WoW crashing. It's a multiplayer, online game, you can't just crash mid-fight. You can't just switch to DX11 because performance in multiplayer content is garbage. 

0 Likes
Schnoz
Adept I

Device hung error huh ? It's ridiculous really. No fix works. Tried the registry fixes, tried lowering graphics in affected games, tried downclocking the card, nothing. The only thing to suspect is hardware issue but it is way too specific to be faulty hardware as it only affects DX12 titles and even then it doesn't affect all of them not to mention that it crashes without the card even being at max load. 

I guess all we can do is wait for a miracle update.

0 Likes
tsudy
Journeyman III

First time AMD user off a couple decades of a competitor and I have to say... the experience thus far with this brand new 7900 XTX has been absolutely abysmal to play World of Warcraft with DX12 enabled. 

Just traveling around, guaranteed crash within 5 - 35 minutes. It's so shockingly easy to reproduce it with the amount of time a group of coworkers can go grab a coffee. Reading that these issues, especially with World of Warcraft, have been going on for over a year is astonishing.

Needless to say, this 7900 XTX is going back and I'll be returning to the competitor. There's reasons why market share is so heavily weighted towards them - these issues simply don't exist, and when they do exist they definitely don't take over a year to fix. With the pricing structures as they are right now, there's a lot of folks coming over to AMD to give it a try... and when such easily issues appear immediately and start Googling around looking for a fix... only to see people have been begging here, Reddit, WoW forums, etc. for over a year -- that's a hard "nope".

Massively missed opportunity to secure more market share. These games being affected by these driver crashes are still massive (either persistently massive or huge bursts on launch, such as Helldivers 2). 

EDIT: I just got my 7900 XTX a couple days ago, installed it yesterday, I have had my driver crash no less than 14 times in World of Warcraft with DX12 enabled. Brand new customer in/out the door, pretty much, after reading that these issues have been going on for so long and so widespread. The vast majority of high end GPUs customers are gamers and the perception is that it's being ignored. Reddit is legitimately on fire over this issue in the /r/Amd and /r/AmdHelp subreddits and appears to have been for quite a while.

0 Likes