CPU: Ryzen 2600

Motherboard: Asus Prime B450m-a/csm

RAM: 16gb ddr4 3200 Tforce ddr4gaming dark

PSU: Kratos gold p1-650w

Case: phanteks 300 with intake-outtake

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 latest version

GPU Drivers: N/A (main issue)

Chipset Drivers: AMD B450

Can't install drivers for GPU. I've tried new drivers, older drivers, I've tried through the AMD website for drivers, and through Asus mobo chipsets to get the drivers. I've tried with and without Adrenalin. I've DDU'ed and AMD cleanup tool each and every time.

Always the same, driver downloads gets 3/4 done, screen goes black. PC is "on" but monitor (TV) goes black and acts like PC is off.

After hard reset, PC will freeze during windows load which happens continuously until I enter safe mode and uninstall (plus DDU and AMDcleanup) drivers for 5600 xt.  Losing my mind here, shocked by how useless AMD and MSI have been.

107 Replies

Can I ask you to make sure the card is seated properly in the PCIe slot, and  the 8pin Power Connector is connected properly?
Also what is the PCIe Speed setting for the main PCIex16 port is it 3.0 or 2.0?

Thanks.

The card is seated correctly, I just reseated it yesterday making sure seating and pins were good.

I’m not sure what the PCIe speed setting is?

Sent from my iPhone

The BIOS should allow you to set the PCIe speed setting.
It sounds like your GPU may be broken though.

It must be 3.0 then. I remember looking for that the other day in the bios. I’m suspecting it’s a hardware issue as well

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah I’ve tried them all throughout the past week. Just same black screen and freezing.

Sent from my iPhone

In Adrenalin 2020 installer, have you tried Advanced -> Factory Reset?
Thanks.

Yeah, tried both with new and previous drivers

Sent from my iPhone

I’ve tried both ways

Sent from my iPhone

Are you deleting the Radeon GPU Driver content of C:\AMD before you run the install each time?

Have you tried using Device Manager to install teh driver?

The way to do it is run the installer to extract the files for Adrenalin 2020 20.5.1 under C:\AMD.

Then cancel the install once the files are extracted.

The use Windows Device Manager to update the Driver for the Device under Display Adapters by pointing to the INF Directory under the the following path:

C:\AMD\Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.5.1-May27\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF

Yeah, I’ve tried that as well, quite a few times :/

Sent from my iPhone

Does the card have Dual VBIOS?
It does not mention it on the product specification that I can see.

It may be the VBIOS on your card is corrupted.
If you have dual VBIOS - switching the VBIOS to second VBIOS position would be worth a try.

Running the GPU at PCIe 2.0 versus PCIe 3.0  may be worth a try.

Time to RMA the GPU.

0 Likes

Yeah I’m the RMA process with MSI. I just want to thank you for all your all help today. I’ve been struggling with this card for weeks, I appreciate everything you’ve done today

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes

I just had another quick look at your motherboard.

I see the following Video Out connections on the Motherboard:

pastedImage_1.png

The manual does not give me any information on the Advanced Menu Options you have on the Motherboard.
Normally those outputs would be used for iGPU output but ...  maybe you should check the VBIOS settings in case the motherboard BIOS is trying to output video through those connectors instead of the GPU outputs.

Long shot but might be worth a try.

Ok how do I check the VBIOS settings?

0 Likes

RE: Ok how do I check the VBIOS settings?

GPU-Z Graphics Card GPU Information Utility 

It will give you information about the VBIOS and GPU.

It will even let you dump Out the VBIOS file.

0 Likes

Under display adapter properties for display 1 I have chip type - AMD ATOMBIOS    DAC type - (C) 1988-2018, advanced micro d      Adapter string - Microsoft Basic Display Adapter        Bios Information - NAVI10     (if this is the right info?)

0 Likes

Looks correct for the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter information

Did you see this checklist?
[Motherboard] ASUS Q-LED troubleshooting for no power on/no boot/no display | Official Support | ASU... 
Is teh VGA_LED on on your motherboard?

0 Likes

I'm not seeing any lights on the mobo?

If this helps at all?

pastedImage_1.jpg

0 Likes

Yes that helps thank you.

You may as well dump out the VBIOS file for the GPU using TechPowerUp GPUz now - then you can compare the file to one from MSI Support.
Use the curved arrow next to UEFI VBIOS to dump the file out.

0 Likes
bakedlikelays
Journeyman III

I am having the exact same issue with my X570-PLUS/5600 XT Thicc II setup.

0 Likes
bakedlikelays
Journeyman III

AMD-ISSUE.jpg

0 Likes
bakedlikelays
Journeyman III

The ONE time my system didn't crash or shut down, I get that error. LMAO!

0 Likes

What do you see if you run winver?

0 Likes

Have you seen this thread: https://community.amd.com/thread/251460 

0 Likes

Have you tried this Beta Driver?
Assuming you are on Windows 10 May 2020 Update:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-5-1-ghs-beta 

0 Likes

I think you may need to file AMD Reporting form and open an email support case if you have not done so already.
Information here:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes

Trying the beta drivers right now.  That second link you posted is actually me lol.  Winver came up with expected windows info, nothing out of sorts there

0 Likes

Beta just crashed my rig. I also just got an AMD update in Windows...hmm.

0 Likes

Same issues with Beta driver

0 Likes

Yes I thought that post might have been you.

0 Likes

I suggest you ask a friend with an Nvidia GPU to help you out and see what happens if you attempt to install an Nvidia card on your PC.
I have AMD and Nvidia cards, and that debug test is very useful since so far it solves 100% of problems for me.

0 Likes

I'll give that a shot.  I'll keep you posted

Could you please update the system soecifications with the exact Windows Version reported by winver?
Currently you have posted this: Operating System & Version: Windows 10 latest version
I am going to try updating a copy of windows from 19.09 and I will test some of those drivers you mention on a new AMD GPU later this week.
I just want to make sure I test exactly the same Windows 10 build, 

Best of luck with getting a working GPU.

Bye for today.

0 Likes

I am not sure if you tried setting your PCIe_16 slot to PCIe 2.0 speed yet in Motherboard BIOS?
Other than that I am ~ out of ideas.
Looks like AMD have messed up Drivers yet again or MSI have messed up their Navi cards again.

MSI were putting tiny thermal pads on the RXZ5700XT models which were causing cards to overheat and shutdown.
They did not do a product recall as far as I know.
If I were you I would just point the seller to this web page, tell them we have tried everything, and ask for your money back.

If you are going to try for an RX5600XT again, go for one from PowerColor or Sapphire as they are the only AMD AIB partners that consistently do a good job since RX Vega launch. Avoid ASUS, Gigabyte, XFX and MSI for Navi cards. They completely messed up. 

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Is it feasable to try the GPU in a different system? It sounds like it might be faulty. 

0 Likes

I have just ordered a replacement. Fingers crossed this one will work. I

dont have another system to test the GPU with, however it was working fine

minutes before I upgraded to x570 from b450.

0 Likes