cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

BartReynaard
Adept II

DaVinci Resolve 18.5 crashes AMD Driver a hell or viceversa (?)

I also opened a bug report on Blackmagic site, but there is the ping-pong about "who-is-2BE-blamed". however i'm in the middle of the fires

DaVinci is making crash the AMD Driver or the AMD driver crashes very easily with DaVinci

- During any export and randomly (sometime they are successful)

- by using Magic Mask
- By using Depth Map
- By using Fusion
- by using Title+
- By using ...

Blackmagic supposed AMD drivers are not able to drive my sistem (I have 3 monitors: 1 3840px the other 2: 1920px)

but then I physically disconnected the other 2 monitors and worked only with the main one.

No way.

Big freeze, and after that I get the popup for the report to AMD. I filled it in 8 times over 10 but I don't see any "working on it"

here the DaVinci Log

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kXCokUCBlj4Kkb67AKtnfwfHJ_jGhyQW/view?usp=sharing

here the NFO

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TQf2m7ZeZVSiyORs0Lny6T4mPgXo2n3F/view?usp=sharing

It's almost impossible to work in this way

22 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Is your driver WHQL? Its not mandatory of course but I can only run DaVinci problema free with WHQL drivers.

The Englishman
0 Likes

i tried also the Pro. No changes. 

0 Likes

run and upload an image of GPU-Z to make sure all your APIs on your GPU card are enabled and the driver installed correctly.

0 Likes

Please 

GPU.gif

0 Likes

Okay, your GPU-Z indicates all the correct APIs at the bottom are correctly check marked which means all the APIs are enabled.

Which seems to indicate your AMD driver is correctly installed and working.

I would try a previous AMD driver and see if DaVinci still crashes. If it doesn't that would indicate that Davinci is not completely compatible with the latest AMD Driver.

Here are previous AMD Drivers for your RX590 GPU card: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/rade...

Here is the latest AMD Driver for your RX590 GPU card: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-590

Also post exactly the errors you get when the computer crashes. BSOD errors etc.

Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update and your Windows installation is not corrupted or has missing files by running the following simple command line; SFC /scannow.

Does your PC crash using any other programs or games with one or more Monitors connected or just with DaVinci program?

If the crashes only occur with DaVinci then you will need to open a thread at Davinci forums and see if others have the same problem plus open up a Black Magic Support ticket.

Also try downgrading DaVinci to an earlier version and see if it stills does the same thing.

Even with previous drivers I have the same issues.

On Blackmagic suggested me to try the 22.8.2 but there still unstability.
mr Dwain Maggart from BM sadi he tried with a RX580 (i have te 590) and he didn't get any crash, under  my same conditions (most updated driver, same project - I ent him a .DRP) same footage same operations)

The error I get is always the same window that states that something didn't respond  etc. Please here below what I get. Then Davinci crashes, screens are flashing a while while I can't even use the mouse, and in many cases: PC crashes (resets), in other cases I can continue to work after a while.

I don't use any other program while Im' using Davinci. I'm not gamer so no games,
No opened browsers or other applications.

About the downgrade: Yes I have to stay with 18.5.1 ... unstable but somehow working. 18.6 impossible to export a video.

The DaVinci forum thread is here https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=188336 but till now all what they say is: it's the AMD RX590 and as usual, there is the classic-dude that stated never ever had an issue with Davinci (which is ridiculous since there are issues and they are working on them release-after-release).

My state of mood in this moment is: very nervous! I barely can work.

BartReynaard_1-1694978267495.png

If AMD Driver 18.5.1 is working, at least, without crashes does indicate it is a issue with DaVinci program not being 100% compatible with newer AMD Drivers.

Follow this website troubleshooting tips on to resolve the Timeout error: https://www.makeuseof.com/amd-driver-timeout-tdr-windows/

You have already tried most of them but still see which ones you haven't tried yet.

This one Adrenaline feature MPO does cause issues. This is number 5 in the above link on how to disable this feature via Registry: Disable the Multi-Plane Overlay Using the Registry Editor

After trying all those steps and you still have issues with DaVanci and no other program than you will need to wait until DaVinci upgrades it program to work with AMD Drivers.

0 Likes

With 18.5.1 it crashes as well just less ... however Machine learning algorithm as the magi mask tracking and so on are making AMD crashes.

About the link you suggested me: I stumbled upon it right today this morning and I tried everything. Even using the PRO drivers from AMD ... not any change.

About the number 5 of the MPO: it's not specified if I have to give uit in the hexadecimal or decimal field. being just 5, I assume it doesn't matter. However didn't work.

EDIT: I forgot to answer to you: Windows is always updated (W11 Pro 22H2) as well as every driver and software.

Sounds like it might be a Hardware issue with your GPU card. I would open a Support ticket with the manufacturer of your GPU card and see what they suggest.

Also try stress testing your GPU card with OCCT. Run all 3 tests, GPU, CPU, & PSU and see if it crashes during any of those tests.

Check for proper PSU Outputs, Fan speeds, etc during the testing.

NOTE: Try adjusting the GPU power via Adrenaline Settings of the GPU card to like 50%. In the past many Users with RX580 GPU cards needed to adjust the power to 50% to stabilize it.

0 Likes

Ahi ... with the stress test from adrenaline: no problem. OCCT: PC crashed and GPU fans got hgh speed. When I restarted the PC, the driver of the display was deactivated. I had to go in Device Maner to manually reactivate it. Once I did, the AMD error popped up. Ok Restarted the machine once again to get everything back.

Herethe screenshot form OCCT that kep the data while the crash moment:

BartReynaard_0-1694988487203.png

I was making tests on the GPU the 3D standar d by OCCT .... I stopped it due an error and before a crash:

BartReynaard_1-1694988689947.png

0 Likes

Stills sounds like a GPU hardware issue.

I would try what @johnnyenglish mentioned also try to lower the power on the GPU card via Adrenaline Settings to 50% and see if that helps.

If you are getting errors all the time and the PC is crashing whenever you run OCCT does suggest something is wrong with your GPU card.

I would open a Warranty Ticket if it is still under Warranty.

NOTE: Your PSU outputs are excellent and so is your CPU temperatures.

I just finished to try. Crash. Yo can see my comment to @johnnyenglish ... there is the screenshot of the simple video I was rendering when the driver crashed.

Unfortunately this card is not any longer in warranty.

However something strange occurs with OCCT while I'm in Power Supply

I said it above in my comment here https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/davinci-resolve-18-5-crashes-amd-driver-a-hell-or-vice...  however after about 1 min the computer turns off and the GPU fans are speeding un to max speed.

may be that during test the GPU is activated to test absorption and then the GPU is the main cause?

because the PSU is new (1y life in august this year) and it was never stressed to death at all.

BartReynaard_0-1695019159619.png

OCCT PSU Test involves running both CPU & GPU Stress tests at the same time putting maximum stress on the PSU.

According to your PSU Outputs the 5.0 & 12 VDC are all within 5% tolerances during the tests.

Best way to eliminate the GPU card is try to install another AMD GPU card and see if you get the same results or not.

Or take your GPU card to a local computer shop and have them test it for you or install your GPU card in a Family or Friend's PC and see if the same thing occurs.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Do you face any other crash in other applications?

Can You stress test the GPU with anything eles? OCCT, Heaven, anything?

Try underclocking the GPU and/or memory and Seek if it still crashes. Its time to troubleshoot your card, Thats my guess at this time.

Good luck 

The Englishman

Thank you Johnny. I didn't find the way to underclock the GPU however during OCCT test, dramatically crashed everything (as you can spot form my comments to @elstaci 

About other applications:

I work with CAD and I never had issues) but when I work with Video: there the issues are popping up ... especially during:

- rendering
- use of AI (like the Magic Mask in DaVinci)

EDIT: I found now how to underclock it. I put it -32 for now

BartReynaard_2-1694989085858.png

Underclocking ... crashed as well .. here while I was rendering a very basic video downscaling it from 4k to 1920x1080

BartReynaard_3-1694989782949.png

0 Likes

Try running OCCT GPU Memory test and see if you get any errors. If you do than you probably have a defective GPU card.

You can verify OCCT results with other stress testing apps.

0 Likes
hiroshima
Adept I

New AMD Adrenalin version (24.8.1) is released also DaVinci 19 and problem still exist. I reinstalled drivers by DDU - nothing happen. I'm waiting 3 months for fix. The 7900 XTX is probably my last AMD card.

THIS is simply terrifying. After the previous driver update, the davinci stopped working completely. When rolling back to the previous version of the driver, the program says that the video card is not supported, although everything always worked on that driver and on that version before. I had to install a very old 24.5.1 driver so that DaVinci would at least start. Of course, I tried different versions of DaVinci, even those that were released in 2018-2019. Same problem.
RX 7900 XTX

0 Likes