cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Verim
Adept I

Computer can no longer open applications or right click

After having the adrenaline software fail to open yet again for the fifth time in the last month I decided to install latest drivers yet again, as that usually resolves the issue for a few days. 

All went well until the end where it prompts you to restart the PC. After restarting all seemed fine I can get to the desktop, but that's it. No applications will launch, right click doesn't work, just an endless spinning blue wheel. I can only browse folders, can't delete anything though. 

Windows 11, ryzen CPU, and a 4gb AMD GPU, I can't remember the model and right click is broken so I don't know how to find out.

Look I'm not a computer guy, I bought a pre built couple years back just to play older games, I have no idea where to begin fixing this and to be honest I'm pretty upset. 

1 Solution
holychain
Journeyman III

Having the exact same problem after installing the new Adrenaline version. Windows will boot, but nothing launches. By booting into Safe Mode, cleaning the drivers with DDU the issue is fixed. After reinstalling the latest drivers, Windows again is in an unuseable state - so the issue can be reproduced by cleaning and then installing the latest drivers. 

Older drivers are working withouth issues. 

Windows 11, B550 mainboard, Ryzen 5 5600G and Radeon 6700XT. 

View solution in original post

18 Replies
FunkZ
Forerunner

If you're in a un-workable state due to a recent update I would first try rolling back to a previous restore point.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recovery-options-in-windows-31ce2444-7de3-818c-d626-e3b5...

If a restore point is not available or doesn't fix the issue you may have to perform a reset.

The other thing to consider is if these issues are not due to software, and the restore or reset don't work, there may be a problem with a hardware component.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
Verim
Adept I

Settings and control panel will not open. This isn't hardware related, everything was fine until the update. 

0 Likes
holychain
Journeyman III

Having the exact same problem after installing the new Adrenaline version. Windows will boot, but nothing launches. By booting into Safe Mode, cleaning the drivers with DDU the issue is fixed. After reinstalling the latest drivers, Windows again is in an unuseable state - so the issue can be reproduced by cleaning and then installing the latest drivers. 

Older drivers are working withouth issues. 

Windows 11, B550 mainboard, Ryzen 5 5600G and Radeon 6700XT. 

Could you please walk me through how to do this? I swing a hammer for a living and literally just use my PC to play old RPGs, I'm pretty clueless with how it all works. 

How can I boot into safe mode when I can't even open settings? 

What is DDU?

0 Likes

You can activate safe mode by holding F8 as your computer boots up assuming you're on Windows.

DDU is Display Driver Uninstaller, which is a third party application for cleanly uninstalling drivers (since sometimes just installing different drivers over previous drivers can cause issues).
AMD also has their own app for their specific drivers, the AMD Cleanup Utility. They do the same thing in this case.

Thanks got it sorted!

0 Likes
pvk1
Journeyman III

Como hiciste? Borre los drivers con ddu pero aún tengo el mismo problema que tú, el windows se congela y no me deja hacer nada.

0 Likes

I have the same issue on Ryzen 5800H and Radeon RX6600M. It is a compatibility issue between Adrenaline software and Windows 11 - 23H2.

If I use Windows 11 - 23H2, the computer works with drivers that are installed through Windows update. But, the performance is terrible. I play BeamNG and the framerate is 50% lower than it should be. As soon as I install Adrenaline software, the computer is unusable when I am logged in. Nothing opens, except Windows explorer and start menu.

If I remove Windows 23H2 update, I can install Adrenaline software, and everything works smoothly. It would be nice to have a solution that would allow me to update my system. Currently, I have updates paused, so I don't receive them, but that is not the way to go. 

0 Likes

In my case the problem is not due to any Windows update I tried downgrading from windows 11 to 10, using a DDU and installing amd on a clean system, installing the latest driver for my rx 6600 and still the problem persists. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

0 Likes

Did you find the the solution?

0 Likes
Redvox57
Journeyman III

I also am having this issue, the previous driver update was completely fine, but now it's completely frozen, and won't work. AMDs tech have been absolutely useless with helping and it's so frustrating. They had me reinstall everything and all that jazz but it put me right back to step one with the issues again. I can't believe they put this broken driver out like this.

olgabotezatu
Adept I

If you recently installed new drivers or made changes to your system that caused the issue, you can try using System Restore to revert your system to a previous state. To access System Restore, type "System Restore" in the Windows search bar and follow the on-screen instructions.

0 Likes
maticl00
Journeyman III

Disabling the internal GPU solved my issue. 

0 Likes
Amio1510
Journeyman III

Same issue.. All the latest update in 2024 till date literally  breaking my pc... 

Ryzen 7 5700g

Rx 6600xt

Msi b450 motherboard 

Just frustrating... never going to buy amd product..  

Did you find a solution? I suppose it is due to a compatibility problem between the amd adapters and the windows ones...

I'll see if going back to Windows 10 solves my problem.

0 Likes
keck
Journeyman III

Hey guys, i was having exact same problem. After many driver cleanups and installs i found the solution.

You need to navigate to device manager and disable your onboard graphics, i had already done this but either a windows or amd update recently must have reenabled mine.

You can navigate to device manager by pressing start button and typing it, then navigate to display adaptors.. i had a listing for my RX 6750 XT and one for AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics, which is the one i disabled.

If you cannot navigate to device manager due to the current symptoms, you may need to get there while launching in safe mode....

In windows 11, that consists of holding the shift key while rebooting.

Hope this helps somebody, im now able to run the most updated amd driver with no issues.

I created this account just to thank you for this. This fixed my issue (after spending 2 hours uninstalling and reinstalling updates). I appreciate you.

0 Likes

MAN YOU ARE AMAZING

I can't believe that after months of having this problem I was finally able to solve it, I still don't understand how no one could solve my problem with such a simple solution.

An alternative solution is also to deactivate the graphics of the GPU from the bios so that it does not cause any other problems, in my case the problem was due to the fact that the graphics were in "forced" by deactivating them I managed to solve all the problems

0 Likes