Drivers & Software

JpFerreira
Adept II

Changing Virtual Memory Settings Resulted in Black screens

hi 

i have been getting black screens and red CPU light on motherboard 

been going on for about a month since iv got this PC

i have a 7950x and a rx 7900 xtx 

i used adrenalin softwear to do a log and here is a screen shot of what is says 

Screenshot 2023-10-09 113013.png

0 Likes
40 Replies
Kalana
Challenger

Hi, the RED light could be a problems caused for several reasons being Overheated CPU. Improper Power cable connections, corrupted BIOS or Hardware issues. Even worse case, a Faulty CPU or Motherboard.

Make sure A red light near GPU indicator means the graphics card is not detected or seated correctly. And near the DRAM indicator means that a RAM module is not seated correctly. Since you mentioned its the CPU RED right, probably have to do something with CPU though still, it could be any other hardware indicating an internal or external device isn't working properly.

Maybe be can start with checking if the CPU is overheating? Does it happen when the CPU is at load?

0 Likes
JpFerreira
Adept II

hi 

so this occurs randomly 

it happened a few times while i wasn't even at the computer while idling. 

a weird thing also is evetime i start up the computer after about a 1 min i get driver time out errors. 

i have done cpu stress tests and gpu stress tests and never has the temp every been concerning . and it never happens during those tests. 

i have also tried deferent ram and that did not help 

i have done bios updates and all the updates possible. 

i also reinstalled windows and that also did not help  

0 Likes

I see, if it's not happening under load. Probably doesn't look like a hardware fault. What is the Adrenalin Version? Also, what is the Motherboard and RAM you're using?

0 Likes

version 23.9.3

GIGABYTE AM5 B650 GAMING X-AX

CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 64KIT 6000MHZ RGB

AMD RYZEN 9 7950X PROCESSOR

CM MASTERLIQUID 360 ILLUSION

GIGABYTE ULTRA DURABLE 1000W PSU

GIGABYTE RADEON RX 7900 XTX GAMING OC 24

0 Likes

Hi, Unfortunately I've come across many using 23.9.3 creating instabilities for 7800XT.  Guess for now you can revert to an older version? Until a stable version comes through. Try the 23.9.1

You can also Disable or turn off Display Driver Updating to the latest automatically by Windows on, Advanced System Setting - System Properties - Hardware - Device Installation Settings.

Let's see if this is a workaround for now.

0 Likes

i have now installed the recomended 23.9.1

shortly after restart i got this message again 

JpFerreira_0-1697016664111.png

but that message is not the isseue 

its when it black screens and cpu light comes on that is the main problem 

so i will have a look now if the older version is more stable and if it helps at all. 

0 Likes

so the problem persists even with the older version of adrenaline

0 Likes

It seems the Adrenalin Driver wasn't the problem, or unlikely the GPU. Maybe the software is recognizing the fault somewhere between RAM and CPU?

It could also be CAS latency incompatibilities. Check if you RAM is DDR5 6000 C36, sometimes these motherboards struggle to run 6000/C36 with specific C36 kits being able to hit their EXPO specifications. So a C40 will fix the issue.

Before that, maybe we can balance them out or see if any overclocking is causing this? Like your RAM. Also see that core performance boost in the BIOS is enabled. If so, disabling this feature might help.

0 Likes

hi

the RAM i have is C40 / 6000

i have tried turning of xmp and still have the same issue 

i am not using any other overclocks anywhere 

if i disable core performance boost is will lose 1.2ghz on my core performance  

0 Likes

so i think this has to do with the driver timeout error , sometimes it recovers from the timeout and sometimes i think it dosnt recover and thats when it black screens and causes the cpu light to come on 

0 Likes

With the appropriate class latency and no overclocking, looks normal. It's really weird why the CPU LED turns on. My guess is probably that since the 7950X iGPU is recognized by Adrenalin as well. Let's get back to Adrenalin, on the gear, Graphics - Check and see the GPU workload is set on GPU. See if it the driver still times out.

Next try disabling the Multi-Plane Overlay. This feature acts to decrease GPU and CPU workload and utilizes plane-independent page flips to reduce the latency. You can disable it using Registry Editor.

Run regedit and navigate to the this location
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm

Create a New - DWORD 32-bit Value

Rename the value as OverlayTestMode then right-click and select Modify

In the Value data field, type 5 and select OK. Save the changes and exit 

After restarting see if it still gives this error.

0 Likes

1st point on the list (GPU workload) :

here is an example of what it should look like in Adrenalin below 

JpFerreira_0-1697117655881.png

here is what my Adrenaline looks like ( below )

JpFerreira_1-1697117723144.png

the option is not there .

0 Likes

That looks like the iGPU is not detected at all. Either you haven't got the APU or Chipset driver installed or corrupted. Can you do Windows refresh? Sorry if it seems trouble, a DDU cleanup in safe-mode should do, but I'm not certain if the other drivers will be wiped out properly. Just want to make sure any other is not overwritten or replaced.

And from the link below, install first the Chipset driver and after the restart go for the APU driver and see if Adrenalin pops up and gives the GPU workloads option.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B650-GAMING-X-AX-rev-10-11-12/support#support-dl-driver-chipset

0 Likes

JpFerreira_0-1697181809821.png

JpFerreira_1-1697181826664.png

JpFerreira_2-1697181852075.png

0 Likes

Hi, This shows on your existing Adrenalin? But the GPU workload isn't on the Settings tab?

0 Likes

correct 

0 Likes

Can't seem to narrow down to the actual fault. Also can't figure why any of the previous Adrenaline don't give that GPU workload feature as well.

Just a random thought, if your RAM is a Dual Kit. Are then fixed on each side of the slots or each on separate pair of slots?

0 Likes

JpFerreira_0-1697184003064.png

0 Likes

Seems the most appropriate method, but are you able to try moving them to A1 and B1, maybe  we can see if the slots are the reason. Even a tiny dust can be the cause.

0 Likes

what's even more weird is that i now used DDU in safe mode to uninstall drivers 

and with startup my displays was not in the correct order so i corrected that and got a timeout error but there is no adrenalin installed or drivers installed . how dose its still give a AMD bug report tool

0 Likes

I can't think of anything other than Windows installing old driver in the background, if your PC connected to the internet and after hardware is recognized and the drivers matches a component's exact hardware ID, regardless of source, Windows will choose that driver for updating. Probably selects the driver with the most recent timestamp when it was released.

You can Disable or turn off Display Driver Update. You can find this on, Advanced System Setting - System Properties - Hardware - Device Installation Settings.

Have you had it disabled earlier?

By the way, have you got any preinstalled software's installed with hardware acceleration like chrome or discord?

0 Likes

i did not have it disabled earlier 

should i now uninstall the drivers again?

0 Likes

I think you should, if some files are overwritten or existing with similar with different parameters. It creates conflicts and drivers can become obsolete.

0 Likes

oky so i think i mite have got everything to work now .. but will keep an eye on things to see if it truly is fixed now.

steps taken 

1- You can Disable or turn off Display Driver Update. You can find this on, Advanced System Setting - System Properties - Hardware - Device Installation Settings.

2- DDU cleanup in safe-mode 

3-downloaded older adrenaline and only install the drivers 

what a pain it was to get to this point - why windows and adrenaline isn't working together or properly .. beats me 

Good to know. Probably AMD tries to fix the driver issues and windows keep pushing drivers with issues. Also windows have a bug in troubleshooter with driver selection sometimes being the most recent timestamp, which the was hardware was released or on a later state of the windows updates.

Good to know. Probably AMD tries to fix the driver issues and windows keep pushing drivers with issues. Also windows have a bug in troubleshooter with driver selection sometimes being the most recent timestamp, which the was hardware was released or on a later state of the windows updates.

0 Likes
JpFerreira
Adept II

oky so it is not the solution after all ....

0 Likes
JpFerreira
Adept II

2nd possible solution 

i set the virtual memory in windows to custom for all 3 drives i have to a size more than what the gpu has and i havent been able to get it to crash yet so lets hope this was the solution 

These new hardware crashes used to be simple solutions back then, it's getting more and more complicated and broad now. I believe it's either too soon to release this so called next gen hardware until its really a polished final product meeting both windows, applications and hardware components. But that's not the case here. Each company is in the run for money,  doesn't even matter who has the best hardware for the buck. As long as they have something released in par with the competitor, they fill the pockets. I think it should be fix issues and release, but it seems release and fix issues whats happening now.

i remember having a similar issue with a mining rig a couple of years back , where i had to change the virtual memory to custom to make all the GPU's work .  

but yes , its true what you say about the fact its all about money in the end . 

Fr3aKeR
Adept I

I have 7900xtx and have the same issue. Black screen crash while gaming and some times blue screen crash at windows start up about 20 sec at idle, but only when I got black screen crash before. I have this issue since march and I dont know what can I do about. I always updating to latest drivers and have done once a bios update and no fix. Any updates on a possible fix?

0 Likes

i solved my issue for about a month and now its back to crashing with black screens and getting messages that driver is timing out. 

im starting to think this mite be some kind of PSU problem , but i still need to test it. 

what PSU do you have ?

0 Likes
Kalana
Challenger

Hi, sorry to hear that. Are you using multiple monitors or single?

0 Likes
JpFerreira
Adept II

swoped power supply and problem gone ! 

thank goodness !

power supply swopped helped for a week . and now the problem is back . 

its the weariest thing . all i still need to test is mob , cpu , gpu 

0 Likes
Kalana
Challenger

I see, yeah not sure why it held for a week. But if you're on to test. I think you should go for the GPU. Before that, have you got the both M.2 slots filled?

0 Likes

i have all 3 m.2 slots filled . 

im now starting to think there mite be a short somewhere , and my guess is the case front io 

0 Likes

You mean right when you install a device in the front IO it happens?

And are you using multiple monitors?

Also, I asked about the M.2 slots, because with the two M.2 close to PCIEX16 Slot using CPU and another right next to the PCIEX4 using the Chipset. And the PCIEX4 slot becomes unavailable when a device is installed in it because they share the bandwidth. I'm not certain, but try the OS SSD on ones close to the CPU M.2 with a Game installed on the very drive. If you ave time, it's just a hunch.

0 Likes

it has to be motherboard or cpu . 

i dont have the PC with me anymore , i sent it in for testing , im done struggling 

will let you know what the problem was. 

0 Likes