Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

bigbird5788
Adept I

Cannot install AMD Radeon software or drivers

Hello, 

~A week ago I noticed a game refusing to work(always crashing on startup). Recommendation from the Dev was to make sure GPU drivers were fully updated. I noticed that Radeon software had an update, but I would click install and nothing would happen. Restarted the PC a few times, same symptom. I read that an uninstall/reinstall of the software/drivers may resolve the issue on the support forums. I did so using Windows Uninstall/removal tools followed by the AMD cleanup utility. Now with all software and drivers removed from my system, no matter what I have tried, I always get the same result. When the install is initializing and checking my system for compatibility, the installer vanishes. Task manager indicates that nothing from AMD/Radeon is running on my system.

Here is all that I have done so far. Followed the instructions from AMD with "Install AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition", "Uninstall AMD Software", & "AMD Cleanup Utility". I have tried AMD Cleanup Utility, DDU, (Both in Safemode), making sure that internet is disconnected, Fully updated BIOS, Up to date Chipset drivers(these work without issue), AMD Auto-detect Driver/download/install, Manually navigating to the GPU driver, Deleting files in the %temp% folder, scouring these forums and forums from other sites, trying the drivers offered by the GPU manufacturer and the MOBO manufacturer, making sure that windows is not updating drivers, all display drivers are removed with the exception of the generic display adapter, making sure that Windows 11 is current with all updates. 

After all of these attempts, probably ~25-30, I cannot even get an install error. It always results in the installer verifying compatibility and supposedly crashing. 

I finally decided to allow windows to see if it could find a driver in windows update - worked without issue. v31.0.12027.9001 

None of this makes any sense to me. I don't know how to get Radeon software back or how to get on the latest drivers. 

System Specs

Win 11 Pro 64bit

MOBO - EVGA X570 FTW WIFI - BIOS v1.09

GPU - PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Ultimate

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

RAM - 64GB 

15 Replies
bigbird5788
Adept I

Thanks for the recommendation. I just tried 24.5.1 and it also does not work. I have the same symptoms. 

bigbird5788
Adept I

These are the versions that worked for me in the past (when I built the system) that also do not work.

Have you run SFC & DISM commands to check and repair OS?

Are any security or av settings blocking install.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Great recommendations. I just ran SFC & DISM and it found/corrected issues, but I still cannot install and have the same symptoms. I also disabled bitdefender (no change), Uninstalled bitdefender (no change), disabled Windows Defender (no change).

ThreeDee
Paragon

Do you have the latest AM4 drivers installed from AMD.com?

ThreeDee PC specs

Yes, I installed v6.07.22.037 without any issues.

bigbird5788
Adept I

Any other ideas from the community?

I've tried a good bit of troubleshooting and feel like I've hit a wall. For the moment, the windows update driver is working, but it's out of date and I've lost access to all of the features in AMD Radeon Adrenaline software.

bigbird5788
Adept I

I have just submitted an online service request. Still hoping to find a solution to this issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Likes
Trajan_UK
Journeyman III

Not sure if this will help you but it solved an issue I had trying to install the latest AFMF2 driver. It refused to install while I was running a non standard windows scaling option. DDU and the AMD clean up utility had zero effect. Once I reverted the windows scaling to 'recommended' it installed as normal.

Might be worth checking you are set to standard.

I'll give this a shot when I get back to my PC. Ty for the recommendation!

0 Likes

Scale and Display Resolution are both on "Recommended" selection. No change, and I still have the same symptoms.

0 Likes

Have you looked at the 'error 1603' article and tried suggested solutions.

What about Windows folder protection settings?

And of course install from the full downloaded driver pkg.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
addiepie79
Challenger

When you go to the AMD driver website and download the driver just out of curiosity have you ever went into the properties of the download folder and checked and seen if windows blocked the driver download if so, uncheck it and try again???

Adam J Martin

Thank you for the recommendation! When I go into the properties of the install file I do not see the option to block/unblock within the properties. 

Well guess that means the driver download file is most likely not blocked if you do not see it in properties on the driver file itself hmm this one's a tuff one but there has to be a solution.

Adam J Martin