cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kodiakcreativity
Journeyman III

Cannot get AMDGPU to work properly // Ubuntu 20.04

looking for help or advice from anyone who may know.

Card is a Radeon RX 5700XT

OS Ubuntu 20.04.5LTS kernel 5.15.0-52

I had very few problems with the open source AMD drivers, but trying to use Davinci Resolve which requires OpenCL support.

My problems with AMDGPU however is with digikam (7.8.0, latest) and Blender (3.3.1 LTS, the latest also)

on driver 21.50.2:

digikam and Blender both work. Blender recognizes the 5700XT under HIPS, but it should not. HIPS is suposed to require 22.10 or newer? Attempting to play back any video recorded from my smartphone (HEVC format) in VLC crashes the driver every time, a reboot is required. Fills the TTL with error -125. Additionally I see random crashes using all different software, sometimes recoverable, often not. Random crashes occur anywhere from a few a week to a several per day. Basically it is very unstable.

Version 22.10 and 22.20 seem to have the same symptoms:

install string is

amdgpu-install --usecase=workstation --vulkan=amdvlk,pro --accept-eula --opencl=rocr,legacy -y

digikam will not run at all, I just get a black window

Blender does NOT recognized the GPU under HIPS at all, even though it did using the older driver where it wasn't supposed to work! However Blender also has this major screen artifacts problem in the Video Sequence Editor (only in the VSE). Screenshot attached. but basically is unusable. It works fine on 21.50

What happens to blender on amddgpu 22.10 and 22.20.png

fed up with the frequent graphics driver crashes, I tried to go back to 22.20, this time installing only what I think is the minimum needed components using this install string: (the only thing I need beyond the open source driver is opencl for Davinci Resolve)

amdgpu-install --usecase=workstation --accept-eula --opencl=rocr -y

(so removed --vulkan completely, and dropped legacy from opencl)

digikam actually works now, still no HIPS recognition in Blender, and the screen artifact like in the screenshot above is still there.

Can anyone help? It seems you need to use a different version of this driver for every different application to keep everything happy

0 Likes
1 Reply
kodiakcreativity
Journeyman III

Smartphone's HEVC videos play back fine with 22.20, crashes every time with 21.50.

Also Blender screenshot above is from 3.2.1, now running 3.3.1 with no change in the problem.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

0 Likes