cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

brootle
Adept I

Can't install or update divers for AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H on Asus TUF Gaming A15 laptop on Windows 10/11

Hi! So this is what happened. Yesterday Windows 10 did run some update and I noticed that I can't adjust screen brightness. So I checked device manager and saw that AMD Graphics is not working... After that I did try everything to update those drives and failed every single time... I ended up upgrading to Windows 11, it didn't solve the problem, so I did try to install drivers again and seems this is a dead end. I also noticed that can't connect external monitor via HDMI as well... So I am stuck here with low level brightness level and this is crazy.

When I switch to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in device manager, the screen brightness slider kind gets activated but it doesn't actually change the brightness and it stays low. I spent hours on research and testing...

brootle_3-1683623914063.png

brootle_2-1683623700022.png

brootle_1-1683623508207.png

brootle_0-1683623487743.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
brootle
Adept I

thank you, but the problem got fixed itself overnight when Windows loaded some new updates

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Str8Concentrate
Journeyman III

Having the same issue now except i can only use my external screen. I have tried everything and it just wont display on my laptop anymore.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Have you tried the OEM drivers that are on the laptop's product page? Another thing to note, is Windows likes to overwrite drivers for no good reason. With this in mind many just use GPEDIT to disable Windows Driver Updates.

In this situation, I would first identify the exact model as there are many Asus TUF A15 configurations. Second I would download the drivers from the product page. To get to the product page you would find the exact model here. https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-gaming/tuf-gaming/asus-tuf-gaming-a15/helpdesk_knowledge/.
Third I would follow this guide because I have had Windows screw up my drivers many times and this stops that https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/how-to-stop-updates-for-drivers-with-windows-update... 
Next I would start fresh and uninstall the drivers currently installed for the Radeon iGPU using DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility, following the steps for each respective program.
After all of this I would install the drivers I just got from the ASUS page and see if the issue persists.

If it doesn't I would open Adrenaline and try using it's update utility. If updates break the functionality of the laptop, I would revert back to the OEM drivers as these are specifically for your device.

Unfortunately many OEMs do not update their drivers or support them like they should. In this case I would only use the old drivers from the OEM as the iGPU does not need to be up to date in typical use cases.

Most of the heavy lifting as with gaming and productivity would be best suited to run using the discrete GPU. In your case this would be the mobile 3070. 

There is a settings menu in Windows that allows you to choose which GPU is used by an individual program.

cpurpe91_0-1684029208620.png

You just choose for the program you wish to use and which device it should be utilizing to run. 

If the issue persists keep posting on this thread.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
brootle
Adept I

The problem got fixed by itself 5 days later... Looks like there was some Windows update at night, when I opened laptop in the morning there was blue screen of death and after reboot AMD drivers work fine.

0 Likes
brootle
Adept I

thank you, but the problem got fixed itself overnight when Windows loaded some new updates

0 Likes