cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

zirnitra1248
Journeyman III

Can't install any drivers

I was trying to update drivers and it kept freezing. Figured I was due for a system refresh so I did a clean windows install, I now cannot get ANY drivers to install.

I'm using a Radeon VII.  In every instance, the installer progress bar either gets about 7/8ths of the way across in the "detecting hardware" screen, or gets to the  "checking for new drivers" screen (depending on the version) and then the entire system freezes.

THINGS I HAVE TRIED

-Installing in safe mode

-running DDU, then installing

-Running windows update, then installing

-doing ANOTHER clean install with no internet connection (so no windows update, no auto-installed drivers), -transferring the drivers to the PC via USB, and then installing

-Swapping the Radeon VII for a Vega 56 and then installing

-Installing the version 19 WHQL drivers from either 12/19 or 10/19 instead

-Installing the newest drivers

-Installing the 3/5 WHQL drivers

-Installing the Radeon Pro enterprise drivers

My system

Processor: Intel 9900k

MB Asrock Taichi Z390 Ultimate

Memory: 64GB Gskill 3200

AX 1600i PSU

This system was stable for a year, now nothing works.

0 Likes
1 Solution
zirnitra1248
Journeyman III

Ugh, alright, I fixed it. Only took me 14 hours. There was a BIOS update I hadn't run (partly because it's supposed to be a one-way upgrade and everything had been working before this), but once I updated to the most recent version everything works.

Kenster, you're on Asrock Z390 as well, give that a try and see if it fixes things. Your board uses a different BIOS naming convention (I was on 4.2, 4.3 fixed things) but maybe the 2020 update for that board will help.

Also, seriously, took me 14 hours. What the hell

View solution in original post

4 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Try to use only 2 DIMs. So test the system with 32GB. Also return to the factory settings with the BIOS. You probably have a RAM problem.

0 Likes
kenster199
Adept II

I have the same errors where I can't install my drivers,

My Setup:

i9 9900k

64GB 2666Mhz DDR4

AsRock Z390 Steel Legend

750W Power supply

MSI Gaming X RX 5500 XT 8GB

0 Likes
zirnitra1248
Journeyman III

Ugh, alright, I fixed it. Only took me 14 hours. There was a BIOS update I hadn't run (partly because it's supposed to be a one-way upgrade and everything had been working before this), but once I updated to the most recent version everything works.

Kenster, you're on Asrock Z390 as well, give that a try and see if it fixes things. Your board uses a different BIOS naming convention (I was on 4.2, 4.3 fixed things) but maybe the 2020 update for that board will help.

Also, seriously, took me 14 hours. What the hell

I checked on the website about the bios and i'm running the latest.. there hasn't been any updates since

0 Likes