cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jmag1988
Adept I

Browser Freezing, Lock Ups and Black Screens when browsing and watching videos with 23.9.2 and 23.9

Hello, yesterday I updated the drivers of my RX 6700XT and I am experiencing problems with freezing and black screens when watching videos. If I am watching a video and I enter or exit full screen, the PC first freezes and then gives a black screen, and then After 10 seconds the image returns fine, it also happened to me with a game, when I was playing and went to the desktop the PC remained on a black screen and I had to turn off the PC with the button, when I turned it on again it did not let me open adrenalin so I had to reinstall it again. Is there a way to solve this problem? Do I have to wait for AMD to release a new update? Thank you.

1 Solution

Please try updating to the Adrenalin 23.11.1 drivers.

https://www.amd.com/en/support

View solution in original post

140 Replies

Hahaha hahaha, well that was quick, same issues with the preview drivers, heading back to 23.9.1 

What the hell...... hopes that AMD knows the issues

0 Likes
Longfei
Journeyman III

我也遇到过这个问题,找到了解决方案,打开AMD驱动控制面板,点击游戏选项卡,点击显示屏,关闭自适应同步兼容,这个问题可以解决,但是如果需要这个功能,可以等待AMD官方修复。

0 Likes
SupremeMaster
Journeyman III

I had this today both on steam and firefox videoplayback freezes. Then I tried to record a desktop video and then it didnt freeze...

0 Likes
sunsiro3501
Journeyman III

rx6700xt

I tried amd fluid .... whatever the name and it's still the same / thx you

0 Likes
djasthma
Adept III

Update on the issue, and this is a strange one.

So is you scroll up on this thread, you will see that i tried the preview driver and the freezing still happened. as we know it is related to hardware acceleration and freesync from everyone input on the matter. Many have noticed (including myself) that turning off hardware acceleration in your chosen browser and/or freesync would stop the freezing (this is a work around, as one should not be turning off the features of their product to have it work). I have also noticed, sometime the freezing would happen immediately after the instalalltion or after around 24 hrs, which i think think some "setting" or condition must be met for it to trigger (which you will understand later why i think this) as not everyone who uses it experiences this issue.

now here is the strange part starts, i decided to reinstall the driver, thinking maybe something happens during the installation or there is a setting on my pc which is not cleared when reinstalling, i decided to target freesync as it is a global setting and is "managed" in three places (my monitor can switch on freesync, windows in the default graphics settings and in the adrenalin application) and the issue is not only see in the browser as i have reported freezing in the settings application.

After my first attempt with the preview driver, i used ddu to roll back to 23.9.1 (last driver without the issue). Then i switched off varriable refresh rate in the windows settings application and put it back on, trying to see if this would "reset" a migrated setting or something. Then i switched off freesync on my monitor (an ultrawide 144hz monitor), which would automatically switch off freesync in the adrenalin application and remove the variable refresh rate option in the windows settings app. Now preceeded to update to 23.9.3, then to the AFMF Preview driver for my RX6000 gpu without unistalling the previous drivers (just usingthe ones i manually downloaded a while back and hitting install).

After all this, did not see any freezing, no crashes, nothing, which is expected as freesync was still off, so i decided to switch it on on my monitor, which brough back the option in windows settings and switched it on in the adrenalin application. As i have stated before, sometimes it took just over 24 hours for the issue to manifest, but it has been over 48 hours and no issues, multiple restarts (shut downs and restarts) no problem. i have a youtube video playing a second window as i type this and not a single freeze or crash.

To conclude, I dont know if this is a fix, still to early to say, but given the preview driver is the latest driver with the latest version of adrenalin i shall stick to this and keep you all posted if it happens again (not to meting how AFMF was made and how it interacts with freesync and v-sync. If this is the "fix" then we know some how the freesync setting is the issue which has a knock-on effect on the hardware acceleration. So maybe try it and see if it works for you.

the steps i followed:

1. DDU
  2. While offline (no internet connection), Install 23.9.1
  3. Ensure free sync is on (mon your monitor, windows settings and Adrenalin)
  4. Disable freesync on your monitor
  5. Update to 23.9.3
  6. Update to AMF Preview driver
  7. Restart, test to see if there is any freezing
  8. Enable Freesync in your monitor,
  9. see if freesync in adrenalin and windows settings are on 

You are doing something pointless and confusing, the problem with freesync or adapter sync has been there for a long time ( nearly 1 year), use the 3rd party driver "amernime" they seem to have fixed it, AMD doesn't care to fix it

0 Likes
ljeancler
Adept I

I've got the exact same problem here !

• Radeon 6700 (non XT) - 23.9.2
  • Windows 10 Pro 64bit - 22H2
  • i7 8700 CPU
  • 16 Gb RAM (XMP2 2666Mhz)
  • AMD Freesync iiyama monitor (165hz)

When using multiple browser windows OR when using private browsing mode, I've got HUGE system freezes.
Mouse is not responding anymore, have to wait 10/15s to get the mouse pointer responsive again and close the window.

No problem using Edge only (no private mode), watching a video on YT.

Vini182
Adept II

I think that AMD team don't will solve this problem.

Have 6 months that the issue with the sleep monitor occurs and them dont make nothing.
For each new driver installed we shoulda deactive the ULPS on windows to not have freeze with the monitor turn on back

6 months? Year, or longer. I'm doing the same registry thing over and over again with every driver change. Now I started to get freezes out of nowhere on 23.30.01.02 windows 10 (no new updates, it started today). I'm really losing patience and leaning toward 4070ti. I don't want to fight my computer to get something done. I needed to edit my documents quick, and this freezes started.

0 Likes
Neo_Bahamut_19
Journeyman III

This crap is unacceptable and needs fixed ASAP.

It breaks Edge.

It breaks Chrome.

It even breaks Steam for me now.

Couple that with the fact that it's either deal with this or deal with literal multi-second hitching in CS2, on a 6900XT that I paid $1,500 for, and you have me wanting to go back to Nvidia. This is absolutely unreal.

It's been WEEKS since this issue cropped up with almost nothing in response from AMD.

This is why so many bailed on your products long ago, the driver support was abhorrent and every build with AMD products would suffer lacking performance AND bugs. You finally built your reputation back up, but now it's back to the **bleep**ty driver circus once again.

The ONLY "fix" is to disabled GPU acceleration in all your browsers, which makes many pages run like garbage, especially YouTube. Thankfully this is possible on Edge, Chrome, and Steam. Still not an excuse for this garbage however.

Edit: It ALSO breaks watching Streams on Discord, if you don't disable hardware acceleration there. The rule of thumb I'm seeing is just disable Hardware Acceleration everywhere. Good job, AMD, good job at breaking such a fundamental thing for multiple patches in a row without addressing and fixing it. I'm now seriously considering going Intel/Nvidia for my next build. I may hate them on a corporate level, but at least their **bleep** just works.

This is a Windows problem. I fixed it by uninstalling the latest Windows update... I take that back. It still hitches when using Windows+Shift+S to take a screenshot, but it isn't hitching on Steam, Edge, or Chrome anymore. 

cpurpe91_0-1696906704243.png

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

My 5600 XT system has 23.9.3 and no issues. This is lame.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Either it is inconsistent, or enabling MPO fixed it. I'm trying to figure this out. 

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I'm still not having issues, but who knows? It could be something random that is causing the lockups. I do know I installed the update in question before, and it messed everything up so bad on my PC that I absolutely needed to reinstall Windows completely.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Enabling MPO did not fix the issue. I just experienced it again while trying to refresh Chrome, and had to CTRL+ALT+DELETE and select restart.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I am currently on 23.9.2

0 Likes

Are you using hardware acceleration on those browsers?

0 Likes

Yes. I have been posting each time this issue arises and I try something to fix it. I haven't turned off hardware acceleration for a long time. You think this problem could just be with hardware acceleration? Genuinely curious.

0 Likes
simeongg
Adept II

AMD always have FPS count issue, if I play video on second screen or play video on browser, while gaming. It's detect degraded performance, while actually game work fine. Also audio shutter, when alt+tab game browser. Don't know who to blame here video driver or AMD PCI express driver in core, but something need to be better looked for problematic behavior. 

0 Likes
wittermann
Adept I

Look like solution from this post helped me https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/dx-11-games-shader-compilation-stuttering-on-every-dri... . I tried Regular dx9 with dx11 navi

0 Likes
kengur
Adept I

0 Likes
raamonp
Journeyman III

I was having the same issue since 23.9.2 (before 23.9.1 it was normal), I tested some possibilities, and I found 2 "solutions" for me:

1- Disable FreeSync (the freezing stopped)

or

2- Changing the fresh rate of my monitor from 144Hz to 120Hz (even using FreeSync it doesn't freeze)

I hope AMD fixes it as soon as possible.

Ryzen 5 5600 + RX6700xt

0 Likes
Beelzebub666
Journeyman III

Same problem, Edge,Chrome,Opera freezes.

If you turn off Hardware Acceleration in the browsers it works. Another way is to turn Freesync off and on in the monitor settings. However, it comes back after a while or on the next reboot.

I´m on Adrenalin 23.9.3 right now.

0 Likes
djasthma
Adept III

UPDATE TIME:

Apparently, they have fixed the freezing in 23.10.1 which was released today. i shall test it now (moving from the AFMF Preview driver). I shall post an update if anything happens. fingers crossed. 

Update on the update: Settings still reset on reboot due to the Windows 11 update, but we shall see what happens.

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

I hope 23.10.1 can fix this problem.

0 Likes
yurikokolev
Adept III

i've been using it for almost 2h and no issues until now, lets see if it keeps this way

yurikokolev_0-1697056646782.png

Ryzen 7 5800x3D - Powercolor RX6800XT Red Devil - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - MSI x470 gaming plus - Win10 - AMD A10-7850K - 16Gb PowerColor RedDevil RX580 8GB and also Phenom 9950 Black Edition 8gb Ram - HD7870 2GB

yep, I know when I first ran 23.9.2 and 23.9.3, at times took 24 hours to have the issue manifest (sometimes it would be immediately after the reboot), while on the preview driver I had not had an issue since Sunday after fiddling with freesync before installation as seen in my previous posts, but we shall see, going to put it through its paces.

0 Likes
kaminari
Adept II

I'm not celebrating yet, but I've been watching YT videos for most of the evening since the new 23.10.1 driver release (with hardware acceleration enabled) and I haven't had a single OS/mouse freeze yet.

[Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 32 GB | Win10 Pro]
InFeRnO-1982
Adept I

Please keep us up to date if everything fits so far.

0 Likes
lavisa
Adept I

Seems to be fixed with the 23.10.1. No issues so far. Also mentioned very specifically in the release notes:

• System freeze or black screen when playing video files on Radeon™ RX 6000 Series Graphics Products.  

However, for at least for me, it was not only the video content. Also some other heavy web sites like Board Game Arena.

0 Likes

Yes, for me all my tabs were affected. Also, I don't think it was specific to the RX 6000 series, as I recall people with Vega cards mentioning the same bug.

So far so good, it was probably a minor typo in the code that AMD took a month to fix.

[Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 32 GB | Win10 Pro]
0 Likes
SNKFreak86
Journeyman III

Yo, your Guy from Germany here. Installed 23.10.1 like an hour ago and no Problems so far. Looks like the Bugs are fixed for now, but I will monitor my System like an Eagle and report if anything strange happens.

I have installed it with freesync disabled and I have had no problems, I am afraid to activate it just in case...

0 Likes

I've kept my PC running with Freesync since I upgraded. No issues & memclock sensor seems to work properly again. 

0 Likes

Yes, 23.10.1 seems to have fixed the desktop freeze bug.  I have freesync and browser hardware acceleration enabled and there are no obvious issues.  Hooray!!!

Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Ryzen 9 5950X | Noctua NH-D15 | 4 x Crucial 8GB Single Rank DDR4 3600 CL16 | RX 6950 XT Reference | 2TB Kingston PCIe4 Primary Drive | Seasonic Prime TX-750
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Same here. So far so good. If things happen I will reply.

0 Likes
GlassCasket
Journeyman III

I've been lurking, but have been crippled by this as well. Latest update seems good, I am running FreeSync and hardware acceleration in Edge. I can now use the Edge video upscaling to 1080p now as well - prior to this it was like my 6800XT couldn't keep up which isn't right.

I have noticed though, that this patch has removed the Fluid Motion Frame gen for me though? 

0 Likes

AFMF was in a preview driver, i.e. not the release channel driver, think of it as beta driver which is being developed and not the most recent driver (AMD may be developing features in parallel), hence why you had to jump thought a few "hoops" to get it as it was not readily available.

AMD will probably put it in the release driver at the end of the year, like they did when adrenalin first landed as an end of the year celebration a major feature release (thats how the name adrenalin came about - crimson etc.). 

0 Likes
AMD_cire
Challenger

does the sleep issue solved?

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes