cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Unstanced
Adept I

Black screens and GPU driver issues

As of February 3rd, my PC has been having seemingly random moments while gaming in which all three of my monitors will lose their HDMI/DisplayPort signal; Screens will be black but I will still hear sound and can hear in-game sounds in response to my keyboard inputs.

I am forced to turn my computer on and off again by holding down the power button till it forcefully shuts off; pressing it once does not turn the computer off even after 10 minutes of waiting. When booted back up, only monitors 1 and 2 receive input but monitor 2 is just a duplicated screen of monitor 1 (main display shows up twice).

If I try to open my AMD Radeon software, I'm prompted with the message "The version of AMD Radeon Software you have launched in not compatible". If I open up Device Manager, my display adapter (GPU) is disabled. There is no change when enabled, but SOMETIMES disabling it AGAIN and re-enabling it again will turn my computer back to normal. The error message under properties is "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31)"

My only fix to this is to reinstall my drivers which promptly turns my computer back to normal, however this is only a temporary fix as eventually I will black screen again and the cycle will continue.

It does not make a difference if I update my drivers through Windows or through AMD's Radeon software. It does not make a difference if I use the newest drivers available or drivers available from October (default when reinstalling Radeon software).

I am completely at a loss, I have tried and tested every possible solution I could think of. GPU temps are fine as well, but my CPU has always ran a little hot in my setup, but I don't think that would cause these GPU issues. Despite everything pointing towards driver issues, after all my attempts at fixing this I am starting to believe it might be a physical hardware issue with my GPU. Any help? Thanks in advanced.

Specs:
Windows 10
Ryzen 5 3600
RX 580
16GB RAM

2 Solutions
NinjaP15
Adept I

Hey again, @Unstanced!

I may have just figured out a solution. It has just worked for me and I have had no issues for the past two hours.

Step 1:

First, you want to make sure your software is completely up to date. To do this:

- Open Radeon Software Application

- Navigate to the settings icon (top right of your screen)

- Go to System and hit check for updates (most recent update is from 1/25/22 for 22.2.1 version)

Picture 2.png

Step 2:

If the problem still persists, uninstall all of the chipset drivers.

After, make sure you restart your computer.

Finally, re-install all the software and drivers.

Keep in mind, you may need to double check for updates if you re-installed drivers/software.

NOTE: I am 100% not an expert by all means. We had the same problem and this worked for me. 

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out. I'd be happy to assist to the best of my abilities.

~ NinjaP15

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Unstanced
Adept I

I found the solution!

Turns out it was the PCI-e slot my GPU was plugged into. I swapped it from my top PCI-e Gen3 slot to my bottom PCI-e Gen2 slot and the issues are GONE. However, there is a small noticeable decline in performance due to it being a previous gen so this is not ideal.

The most common cause for this seems to be PSU issues so I will be getting a new one, which will hopefully solve the issue and allow me to put my GPU back in the original slot.

Hope this helps for someone else, but also please refer to @NinjaP15's solution as well BEFORE spending money on a new PSU.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
NinjaP15
Adept I

Hey there!

I am having the same issue. After looking at posts with other people that have the same question, I am seeing them having the same difficulties as us. I don't think its a physical issue however, I am no expert. 

If they reply to mine first I will keep you updated.

Good luck! 

0 Likes
NinjaP15
Adept I

Hey again, @Unstanced!

I may have just figured out a solution. It has just worked for me and I have had no issues for the past two hours.

Step 1:

First, you want to make sure your software is completely up to date. To do this:

- Open Radeon Software Application

- Navigate to the settings icon (top right of your screen)

- Go to System and hit check for updates (most recent update is from 1/25/22 for 22.2.1 version)

Picture 2.png

Step 2:

If the problem still persists, uninstall all of the chipset drivers.

After, make sure you restart your computer.

Finally, re-install all the software and drivers.

Keep in mind, you may need to double check for updates if you re-installed drivers/software.

NOTE: I am 100% not an expert by all means. We had the same problem and this worked for me. 

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out. I'd be happy to assist to the best of my abilities.

~ NinjaP15

0 Likes

@NinjaP15 Really appreciate all the detail and info man! Unfortunately I have already tried these steps to no avail, and the problem still persists. Yesterday night my computer had a COMPLETE crash where it would not boot up and the "VGA" light on my motherboard was on (indicating GPU problem).

I eventually managed to get it to boot randomly after repeatedly turning it on and off, and it seemed that taking out one of my RAM sticks and reinstalling it pretty consistently made it boot up again. I disabled XMP thinking that could be the issue, but I started having even more frequent crashes today. It might be some bad RAM I have, but nothing really guarantees that.

If I find a proper solution I'll be sure to post about it here for anyone with a similar issue!

0 Likes
Unstanced
Adept I

I found the solution!

Turns out it was the PCI-e slot my GPU was plugged into. I swapped it from my top PCI-e Gen3 slot to my bottom PCI-e Gen2 slot and the issues are GONE. However, there is a small noticeable decline in performance due to it being a previous gen so this is not ideal.

The most common cause for this seems to be PSU issues so I will be getting a new one, which will hopefully solve the issue and allow me to put my GPU back in the original slot.

Hope this helps for someone else, but also please refer to @NinjaP15's solution as well BEFORE spending money on a new PSU.