cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rafaellinuxuser
Journeyman III

AMDGPU-PRO for openSUSE Tumbleweed

In 2018 another openSUSE Tumbleweed user asked the same question https://community.amd.com/t5/devgurus-discussion/radeon-software-for-linux-amdgpu-pro-18-10-on-opens...

I bought my "AMD Radeon RX 7600" fleeing from Nvidia's private drivers, which on Linux for years was an ordeal to install. I want to use my GPU in graphics and multimedia programs that allow GPU usage. However, it is impossible for me to meet the openCL requirements in versions higher than 1.0 with the AMD-GPU community drivers.

But the problem goes further, because the AMD-GPU PRO repositories are for LEAP 15.4 and 15.5 versions, so it is IMPOSSIBLE to install the necessary drivers, as any combination of parameters with amdgpu-install ends up failing, due to missing files or incompatibility with installed libraries.

For example
sudo amdgpu-install --usecase=workstation --vulkan=pro --accept-eula
sudo amdgpu-install --usecase=graphics --vulkan=amdvlk --opencl=rocr

Ambos acaban fallando y es imposible instalar AMD-GPU PRO en Tumbleweed de una manera medianamente sencilla.

Considering openSUSE LEAP 15.4 is not even in maintenance anymore, could you please remove the LEAP 15.4 repository and support the Tumbleweed version already in 2023?

Thanks

1 Reply
dman_tin
Journeyman III

Given that :

1. Opensuse might well be the 3rd largest distro both on enterprise and consumer levels

2. Opensuse is moving away from point releases (LEAP) and into rolling (Tumbleweed)

3. Opensuse does a great job packaging and supporting drivers/programs, with some quality assurance that other distros don't do (see open build service, OBS)

... It can be a wise decision for AMD to provide workable packages for Tumbleweed indeed. In my company alone that would mean a few hundred graphic cards sold; and Opensuse is big in Europe.