cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devgurus Discussion

matszpk
Adept III

Radeon Software for Linux (AMDGPU-PRO) 18.10 on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

Two week ago, I successfully installed radeon software for linux 18.10 on the OpenSUSE tumbleweed. This operation requires building and installation Linux kernel 4.13 (I done it by using standard 'make rpm'). Before any installation, I modified amdgpu-pro scripts (in attachments). I installed only compute only packages (command "./amdgpu-pro-install --headless --opencl=pal,legacy"). The installation requires installed packages: 'dkms' and compiler packages (to build kernel).

Unfortunatelly, the script installed only some needed packages and 'amdgpu-dkms', 'libdrm-amdgpu' and 'opencl-amdgpu-pro' have been installed manually by me.

About kernel configuration: you can copy current config from /boot/config-XXXX or configure kernel manually. I recommend to remove many obsolete features and modules to make kernel affordable and building process to be much faster. Some configuration options is required:

* CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL (General setup->Configure standard kernel features->Load all symbols for debugging/ksymoops + Include all symbols in kallsyms)

* CONFIG_DRM (Device drivers->Graphics support->Direct Rendering Manager) (module or in kernel (recommended))

Don't forget to install kernel-devel packages while installing new kernel. I used rpmrebuild (command rpmrebuild -pe package) to rename kernel packages to avoid package conflicts. After make rpm a needed kernel packages are in /usr/src/packages/RPMS/x86_64 directory.

The amdgpu-dkms requires some changes (it is in /usr/src/amdgpu-18.10-577045/ directory) in Makefile (attached Makefile file). after applying changes just build and install amdgpu module:

dkms build -m amdgpu -v 18.10-577045 -k YOUR_KERNEL_4.13_VERSION

dkms install -m amdgpu -v 18.10-577045 -k YOUR_KERNEL_4.13_VERSION

after these operations, amdgpu-pro opencl works fine.

I found wrong permissions in repository files (they can blocks auto-updates or make some problems when you use zypper as normal user). You can fix by:

chmod 644 /etc/zypp/repos.d/amdgpu-pro-local.repo /etc/zypp/repos.d/bumblebee.repo

chmod 755 /var/opt/amdgpu-pro-local

Optionally, you can disable these repositories (local amdgpu-pro and Bumblebee.repo) after driver installation.

Likely, better way to install that driver by manually adding local repositories like described in https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMDGPU-PRO

EDIT: Some notes for any distribution users:

The AMD OpenCL driver from Radeon Software Linux 18.20 can be installed on any distribution if you can install or you have installed kernel 4.16.0 or higher.

Just unpack content of RPMS/x86_64/opencl-amdgpu-pro-icd-XXXXXXX.x86_64.rpm and RPMS/x86_64/opencl-orca-amdgpu-pro-icd-XXXXXXX.x86_64.rpm packages and put their content to your main system (into '/'). Next step is adding /etc/ld.so.conf.d/amdgpu-pro.conf file with content '/opt/amdgpu-pro/lib64' and finally apply changes by running 'ldconfig' command. If you distribution have kernel with radeon kernel and if you want to use Bonaire/Hawaii devices, just add to kernel parameters 'radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1' and blacklist radeon driver by adding 'blacklist radeon' to /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-blacklist. Optionally, If you have still troubles with this driver you can unpack and install content of the RPMS/x86_64/libdrm-amdgpu-X.X.XX-XXXXXX.x86_64.rpm (and AMD version of the libdrm library) to you system. you can unpack rpm archives by using rpm2cpio and bsdtar ("rpm2cpio RPM | bsdtar -xvf -") or rpmextract.sh command.

I installed in this way an AMD OpenCL driver in my Arch Linux installation.

0 Likes
0 Replies