Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tansoftware
Adept II

AMD Ryzen™ 7 - 7840u Adrenaline Drivers

Hi There,

Many handheld manufacturers (Ayaneo, OneXplayer, AOKZOE, and GPD) are launching their latest gaming handheld devices this month which leverage the AMD 7840u APU + Radeon 780m, but I can't seem to find any Adrenaline drivers supporting this new APU.

Where can we find Adrenaline drivers for the AMD Ryzen 7840u APU ?

Appreciate your kind help and assistance please.

Thanks.

137 Replies
ayaxiaoa
Adept I

From the current situation, it seems that AMD is not ready to support 7840U and has released and sold it to us. This is something we need to resist, it is simply a processor that cannot function properly. And there are very serious performance issues when used in many places. From its release until August 13, 2023, AMD has remained silent on this issue and has not issued any remedial measures. I believe people should not trust any AMD products about how good their performance is. Because they're just a bunch of scammers

kurosawa
Adept I

@Matt_AMD @Ray_AMD  Why is there still no word on what is wrong with AMD driver support for Phoenix? You launch a release driver, it doesn't work properly, you secretly remove support but leave the 7840U driver page up with links, and say nothing about the fact that 780m support has been removed? The Phoenix APU devices have now been out nearly 3 months and we are still here, complaining about the terrible state of the AMD drivers for this APU. And still, silence. WHAT IS YOUR DRIVER TEAM DOING??? When are we going to get an update on what is going on with these drivers???

Im trying from over a month. They know the problem, what i start thinking is that they dont really know how to solve the problem.

But yhea at least let us know.

0 Likes

@holli146 wrote:

I think we have to burn down the headquarter of AMD to get an answer.

Great. Now when this thread gets locked for violating community guidelines, people will say its because AMD doesn't care about the community.

0 Likes
Draxis
Adept I

New Adrenaline drivers just dropped today. Is anyone able to install them on a 7840U device? It appears to detect everything and install completely on my GPD Win Max 2 but then I restart and nothing. Nothing updated. Even did a DDU (Complete wipe of all drivers and software) and did a fresh install from AMD and got pretty much the same thing. Everything looked like it installed. Restart. Nothing installed.

0 Likes
Draxis
Adept I

Confirmed with someone else. The 23.8.1 drivers attempt to install on a 7840U device but don't. Can we get confirmation from AMD if this driver version is supposed to support the 7840U but there's an issue, or if this version was never intended to support the 7840U and should not have attempted to install? @Matt_AMD ?

EDIT: It does appear that the 23.8.1 Adrenaline installer does update the chipset drivers. It simply does not update the display drivers or install the Adrenaline software. So, I'm guessing this officially means yet another month without official graphics driver support. Time to consider retuning my device.

supasukurabu
Journeyman III

See my post here - https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/7940hs-can-we-get-half-working-adrenalin-drivers-bsods... I dunno if you guys are experiencing crashes as bad as I'm getting. I have to delay daily driving Windows unfortunately.

0 Likes
marcelobra1
Journeyman III

Hello, AMD where are the updated drivers for the z1 extreme? It's been months and NOTHING of this support, several games are broken, with visual bugs and everything.. I hope you guys launch support soon.. Rog Ally is performing well because of you guys!! LET'S GO AMD WAKE UP!

0 Likes
Draxis
Adept I

Discord community for the GPD Win Max 2 discovered that this latest driver update is specifically excluding most Pheonix APUs. They were able to recompile the drivers with the exclusion removed and installed them. They're reporting that these latest drivers have about 95% the performance of the custom drivers GPD supplied but are 100% more stable - Able to play modern games without display driver crashes.

AMD - If you're holding out to regain that 5% performance - DON'T. I think stability is far more important to most users.

0 Likes
tdlo
Adept I

Another Adrenalin release (23.8.2) and still no support for the Ryzen 7 7840HS/780M. I can't help but think this is false advertising when going to the driver page and entering your processor takes you to a download link for it, and it doesn't install!

Please fix this. There is a growing number of devices being sold with this family of processors and they don't have proper support for newer games and fixes.

It's strange because the 780M driver is included in the package. You can install it manually via Device Manager. That's how I installed it on the ROG Ally, just selected 'Radeon 780M Graphics' from the driver .ini file. Installed without issue and confirmed in Radeon Software.

I've tried to install via Device Manager and when I go to Have Disk and point to the inf file, I never see the 780M in the list...though I may be blind.   Can someone else confirm after downloading the 23.8.2 that they see it when trying to update the driver from Device Manager?

0 Likes
mbrmn
Journeyman III

I have the exact same problem, the 780M is present with lots of device id's but apparently mine (ours?) is missing. I have a Lenovo Legion 5 Slim notebook.. and I just can't update the drivers with those from AMD.

It seems more an inf issue than a driver issue (?)

0 Likes

I believe I found the reason why AMD has dropped the 780M from its mobile graphic drivers, at least, temporarily.

Found this article about how the AMD Graphics driver seriously reduced the 780M performance: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-radeon-graphics-driver-reduces-performance-by-up-to-33-on-apus/

AMD’s graphics driver team is going through a rough patch. After failing to run Rachet and Clank with ray-tracing, Team Red released a broken “certified” driver. The Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 23.7.2 WHQL was taken down as it drastically worsened performance on iGPUs while also disrupting connected I/O devices.

The Radeon 780M is the most powerful iGPU found on the Ryzen 7000 “Phoenix” mobile processors. After installing this particular driver, it experienced a drop of 33%, falling to Radeon 760 levels of performance. Consequently, a lot of handheld consoles using the 780M were also affected. Metro Exodus: Enhanced Edition went from 33 FPS to just 22 FPS following the update.

In addition to performance reductions, several I/O devices also stopped working after the update was installed. External devices like sound cards, fingerprint readers, and even Xbox controllers completely stopped working after the driver was installed.

Luckily, AMD was quick to take down the driver and provide users with a hotfix. It’s worth noting that these drivers stay in “Beta” for several days before being rolled out as WHQL.

From Tom's Hardware concerning the same issue: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adrenalin-23-7-2-marks-return-bad-amd-drivers

The internet has often blamed AMD for bad graphics drivers, but according to @carygolomb on Twitter, that supposed reputation might be returning to haunt the company. The Twitter user reported that updating to Adrenalin driver 23.7.2 caused GPU performance to tank on his handheld gaming device and re-branded his Radeon 780M integrated GPU to the much slower 760M. On top of this, the user also reported issues with some internal and external devices no longer functioning with the new driver active, including his fingerprint reader, sound card, and Xbox 360 game controller.

To back up the user's claims, Digital Foundry replied to his Tweet confirming the bad performance problems with the new driver. According to the review outlet, one of its Aya Neo handheld gaming consoles sporting a Ryzen 7 7840U lost 33% of its gaming performance while running the new driver, going from 33 FPS to an unplayable 22 FPS in Metro Exodus: Enhanced Edition.

These issues are among the worst AMD-related graphics driver issues we've come across in a long time. Usually, AMD's GPU drivers are very reliable and don't have significant problems. But, with the dozens and dozens of driver updates that AMD pumps out year after year, a dud was bound to pop out at some point.

On top of these issues, the official list of known problems with 23.7.2 is also somewhat high for a fully-released WHQL Adrenalin driver. Some of these additional problems include high idle power consumption on RX 7000 series GPUs — which was supposed to be fixed by now, performance metrics overlay not fully working in some games, and the widely known Rachet and Clank: Rift Apart ray-tracing crashes that we talked about two days ago.

With how new the driver is, it is impossible to tell how widespread the performance issues are. But for now, it seems to be heavily affecting AMD's mobile Ryzen 7000 series processors, with nobody talking about these bugs with desktop Radeon graphics cards. Modern RX 7000 series GPUs seem unaffected, with Ancient Gameplays reporting slightly better gaming performance in some titles compared to the last driver.

I have the Legion 5 Slim Gen 8 as well.

0 Likes
tdlo
Adept I

Good news!

The 23.9.1 driver just got released, and it installs on my Ryzen 7 7840HS/780M straight from the downloaded package from AMD! No messing around with Device Manager, and Adrenalin control panel is available.

I can't speak for the quality of the driver, but at least it installs!

mbrmn
Journeyman III

I just gave it a try and it's also installing on my system. Finally.

stevenvhb
Adept I

Hurrah guys, or not?

Is there a performance increase noticeable? I still have the original drivers on my minipc VENUS 7940HS system because I didn't experience a lot of issues out of the box so I was really waiting for the first stable driver release before updating. I hope it's finally upon us..

0 Likes